Okie dream man cave! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Agree, no freezing in sight for next week. Small chance light rain later tonight but should be ok.

Agree, no freezing in sight for next week. Small chance light rain later tonight but should be ok.

Rain would be good for the concrete. It needs to absorb some water to achieve full strength.

Rain would be good for the concrete. It needs to absorb some water to achieve full strength.
Indeed. In fact I would sprinkle it until it's going to freeze again. Not only is that important for strength but also to prevent shrinkage cracks.

Need outdoor game security cam advice?

We live at the end of the road but have a heavy duty pipe gate on the road 1/4 mile from the house and shop. We have been very fortunate but with all the contractors coming and going I need to step up some monitoring.

Today after concrete guys came and cut the concrete they poured there was empty "natty light" tall boy standing upright in the middle of my road maybe 50 yards inside my gate. I called the guys and they deny it although I don't believe them. Gate code and lock are changed already but I have kicked around putting a few high quality game cameras in discrete areas looking at the gate and after someone drive in.

There is no way to access our place off the road which is heavily wooded most of the way to the house as the road is the only access. Once I get fiber to the shop I will most likely put some exterior cameras on it I can monitor remotely.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Need outdoor game security cam advice?

We live at the end of the road but have a heavy duty pipe gate on the road 1/4 mile from the house and shop. We have been very fortunate but with all the contractors coming and going I need to step up some monitoring.

Today after concrete guys came and cut the concrete they poured there was empty "natty light" tall boy standing upright in the middle of my road maybe 50 yards inside my gate. I called the guys and they deny it although I don't believe them. Gate code and lock are changed already but I have kicked around putting a few high quality game cameras in discrete areas looking at the gate and after someone drive in.

There is no way to access our place off the road which is heavily wooded most of the way to the house as the road is the only access. Once I get fiber to the shop I will most likely put some exterior cameras on it I can monitor remotely.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?

No, but I will be interested to see what you come up with!

Our gate on the paved county road is 1/2 mile from the house and shop via my dirt road (less as the crow flies), and can't be seen at all from the house and shop. Casual trespassers only stopped after I got all of my acreage fenced with barbed wire, and our acreage is heavily-wooded also. I did put up a gate and opener with a video camera built in to the keypad, that sends me still photos and/or videos via a built-in cell phone and modem on-demand, and any time anyone touches the keypad or enters an entry code. I can monitor it from anywhere in the world I have cell or internet service. I can talk to people at the gate as if I were home, even when I'm not. I can give every user a different code, so I know exactly what authorized people are coming in and when (the CellGate system keeps a log that is accessible on a phone app and a web page). It's an expensive system, and not ideal in some ways, but it works well enough for now. I wouldn't mind something that was a continual video monitor like a security cam though. We don't have power at the gate, so everything has to run off of batteries and solar panels.

No, but I will be interested to see what you come up with!

Our gate on the paved county road is 1/2 mile from the house and shop via my dirt road (less as the crow flies), and can't be seen at all from the house and shop. Casual trespassers only stopped after I got all of my acreage fenced with barbed wire, and our acreage is heavily-wooded also. I did put up a gate and opener with a video camera built in to the keypad, that sends me still photos and/or videos via a built-in cell phone and modem on-demand, and any time anyone touches the keypad or enters an entry code. I can monitor it from anywhere in the world I have cell or internet service. I can talk to people at the gate as if I were home, even when I'm not. I can give every user a different code, so I know exactly what authorized people are coming in and when (the CellGate system keeps a log that is accessible on a phone app and a web page). It's an expensive system, and not ideal in some ways, but it works well enough for now. I wouldn't mind something that was a continual video monitor like a security cam though. We don't have power at the gate, so everything has to run off of batteries and solar panels.

Sounds like nice set up, I’ve entertained an electric gate with key pad but it would be matter of time before someone would destroy it. Although the gate is technically on a county road which ends at my property it does intersect my property and we own each side of the road until our structures.

The county commissioner at the time ok’d us putting the gate up almost 15 years ago and I’ve had no issues since.

West of the gate down some crazy rough terrain is wildlife management area for public hunting. There isn’t any reasonable access at least a couple hundred yards from the gate but we do have folks drive to the gate and turn around on a semi regular basis. All that being said I hate to sink a lot of money into an expensive gate set up. The current gate is made out of some serious heavy pipe and sucker rods and is secured by heavy chain.

Like you I don’t have and will not have electricity there and a lost meth head would just destroy or steal the solar set up in time.

I’m thankful no one outside of those who have worked here know what we have as none of it is visible from the road.

I’ll keep you posted on my research!

Last edited:
Beautiful day here today and guys here installing the two smaller garage doors. The tall one goes in next Friday after concrete has cured and I can get scissor lift to install the vertical tracks. I’ll probably install the lights in highest portion of shop and remove the labels and plastic from upper windows at same time.

Sure looks better without the window plastic, should have taken it off a month ago.

15897DC6-8536-4144-96AC-5FE28AA2F487.jpeg

9305455D-431D-4D3B-83A8-75730C443DC6.jpeg

4B128E89-F14C-4350-8E1C-1D3A66CFD58F.jpeg

5841049C-9319-47ED-98A7-06CEFB93D392.jpeg

Last night when coming home from watching the Alma mater play basketball we were surprised to see a middle door.

So, like a kid on Christmas morning I bound out of bed in my pjs and slippers and went to the shop this morning, HOLY CRAP it’s so freakin cool.

I’m too lazy to leave farm today for door hardware but we did get two large shop brooms yesterday on way home, cleaning and pull some wire is plan today. Touch up around some doors. Run around in circles and laugh like little kid if that’s not too weird…

73788A01-98AD-4498-9D29-567E0C362571.jpeg

ED084899-4C6A-4BF0-972D-119F660279D1.jpeg

Spent better part of afternoon doing some serious sweeping. May take a little longer than I anticipated for initial cleaning.

When money permits I got several ideas for the interior including insulating the bejesus out of it.
Simply moving the wife’s Ford f100 gave me some electrical ideas. Gonna put lift where the Ford is and will prewire for it next weekend.

Hopefully most of the wiring will be finished next weekend and lights installed. I need to rent mini excavator again and get floor drains set up to drain. Working on finding someone to help install a septic system so I can finish up plumbing.

If I sell some body parts a floor coating would be nice.

All being said great day in shop even though nothing in place to wrench on. I’ve kept all my tools and tool boxes in storage due to traffic. The framers who set doors this weekend helped me clean up some leftover large gauge copper line we had left over. I called the supervisor and he confirmed in his truck and he will bring it back to me next week. His other crew took nice broom I just purchased and he is going to buy me a new one but I’m basically done with the help.

F18DBA99-C3FD-4DE6-8D4E-94E7E054C743.jpeg

I’ve kept all my tools and tool boxes in storage due to traffic. The framers who set doors this weekend helped me clean up some leftover large gauge copper line we had left over. I called the supervisor and he confirmed in his truck and he will bring it back to me next week. His other crew took nice broom I just purchased and he is going to buy me a new one but I’m basically done with the help.
yeah, when we did our addition years ago I left a hammer and nail puller out for the insulators to use, I looked the guy in the eye and asked him to leave it on the top step…get home and they are long gone with my tools. Luckily I didn’t have much else laying around.
Shouldn’t be like that, you paid them to do a job not rob you. 🤬

Funny you say that, I spent big bucks on a Ryobi 40V blower last fall. Prior to manning the broom I found the battery and if course it’s not charging due to probably deep dead state.

I have a Stihl back pack blower also but wasn’t sure if I could open the garage doors. Cleaned up the office today and the dust from that had me coughing pretty good.

Depending on winds tomorrow which are suppose to be gusts up to 40mph, direction will dictate what I do.

Electrician buddy coming up tomorrow. I finished pulling wire on the south side this morning. Scissor lift picked up at 7:30 this morning and I have it until Monday so let the progress begin!!

Spent all day in the shop, we got the highest lights installed and garage doors wired. Wire pulled for the future gooseneck lights and lights outside each entry door.

Stepped out now to see how it looked, I’m pretty pleased.

The garage door tracks have very little clearance for hanging lights on the north and south sides so gonna flush Mount the remaining lights in each side. This week gonna get some 2x4s to create braces I can mount them to.

Tomorrow I’m pulling wire on north side and finish up the plugs after wife and I make hour long trip to Lowe’s and get some door hardware.

68B94358-B46A-47F6-B509-F190DF9E33A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Wife and I walked in pasture this evening to let the dogs chase some armadillos. They don’t even bite just chase em until they go into a hole.

Looking back it’s nice to see our dream theme for where we will enjoy the next chapter as empty nesters coming along.

21908962-95FB-40ED-BFE4-B2C753CDD484.jpeg

Did some dirt work this afternoon to help protect the concrete edges from losing soil underneath the slab. Next I have to get some 2x4's to put up on the rafters to flush mount the lights which raises the question of using a battery powered nail gun.

Anyone use a Dewalt or Makita nail gun or have any experience using one? Are they worth the money, I've got many projects including a well house and the wife's raised gardens to work on the near future. The Dewalt line seem to have some good reviews.

697798F6-01E9-4AF1-A330-3F67ECB41C4E.jpeg

I used 3” screws in my shop build exclusively. My old Porter Cable 20v cordless drill has been the tool of choice.

I've got DeWalt pneumatic nailers - finish, framing, and roofing - that have served me well over the years. Lately I've been acquiring a number of the DeWalt 20V/60V tools and although I've been tempted, I haven't taken a plunge on any of the nailers yet. Not having a hose would be nice, but I'll continue with the hose rather than spending money to replace what works. I have heard good things about them, though.

Sign up for Fastener's emails: Promotions - https://fastenersinc.net/pages/top-deals-promotions

They regularly have good prices on the DeWalt stuff. I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them and never had any issues. Their discount prices are typically the lowest I've found.

Anyone use a Dewalt or Makita nail gun or have any experience using one? Are they worth the money, I've got many projects including a well house and the wife's raised gardens to work on the near future. The Dewalt line seem to have some good reviews.

FWIW I just bought a Milwaukee M18 framing nailer, but haven't haven't had a chance to use it yet - will soon though. I went with Milwaukee because I already have a bunch of M18 tools and batteries. Will let you know how it does.

I've got DeWalt pneumatic nailers - finish, framing, and roofing - that have served me well over the years. Lately I've been acquiring a number of the DeWalt 20V/60V tools and although I've been tempted, I haven't taken a plunge on any of the nailers yet. Not having a hose would be nice, but I'll continue with the hose rather than spending money to replace what works. I have heard good things about them, though.

Sign up for Fastener's emails: Promotions - https://fastenersinc.net/pages/top-deals-promotions

They regularly have good prices on the DeWalt stuff. I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them and never had any issues. Their discount prices are typically the lowest I've found.
With the numbers of projects including the putting up some 4’ siding all around the perimeter inside shop the amount of nailing is pretty significant. Not having a hose to pull around especially while working on scaffolding is what I’m looking for. If there is easier way to do things I’m on board!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom