oil pressure gauge showing low pressure after driving for a while (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently changed oil, I can see dipstick showing good oil level.
When I start the car it shows good pressure, however after driving for a bit (maybe like 10 minutes - similar time it takes for engine to warm up) pressure gauge drops to low at idling and barely moves up around 2k RPM.
Should I check anything? (or as long as I can see good oil level with stick, I should be ok)

I recently changed oil, I can see dipstick showing good oil level.
When I start the car it shows good pressure, however after driving for a bit (maybe like 10 minutes - similar time it takes for engine to warm up) pressure gauge drops to low at idling and barely moves up around 2k RPM.
Should I check anything? (or as long as I can see good oil level with stick, I should be ok)
What oil filter did you install?

This is critical. Could be a failure.

Otherwise it could just be the gauge.

You need to check actual oil pressure with a known gauge installed in the port.

What oil filter did you install?

This is critical. Could be a failure.

Otherwise it could just be the gauge.

You need to check actual oil pressure with a known gauge installed in the port.
This time I went to a shop for oil change (don't have access to driveway anymore :( )
I'll bring it back and ask them to have a look

Also what kind of oil are you using...I've seen thinner make the gauge read lower...

This time I went to a shop for oil change (don't have access to driveway anymore :( )
I'll bring it back and ask them to have a look
If the shop installed a Wix or NAPA Gold oil filter, there are KNOWN engine failures with this filter. Do NOT for any reason cut open the filter.

I will attach the link below.

Have a shop check with a manual gauge or install a mechanical gauge. What place did you go to?

IME most of the quickie oil change shops use cheapo no name oil filters. So
if I'm traveling far from home and decide to get an oil change I bring the shop a good oil filter (Toyota, Mobil 1, Purolator Boss) and have that filter installed. They'll usually take $5 off the ticket when I do that.

One option for @wisemonkey

Buy the correct Toyota oil filter for your vehicle (? year/model) from a Toyota dealer (and keep the receipt).

Bring that Toyota filter to that shop and ask them to replace the cheapo filter. Ask the shop to document that they replaced the filter and give you a receipt for that work.

Also bring a large zip lock freezer bag for the old filter they installed previously. Don't let them throw it away, it's yours, you already paid for it.

If there's a dramatic difference in oil pressure with the Toyota filter then you can contact the company that manufactured it.

BTW; what oil brand/viscoity and filter were you running before the oil change??

Thanks a lot for all replies.
Maybe I was too hasty in deciding pressure was too low right after changing oil.
Since I couldn't do much about it at home, drove around half an hr this morning and everything seems fine (pressure is between 2 middle lines, occasionally touching both).

Sorry for starting unnecessary thread but I guess better safe than sorry.

Oil pressure will show low at idle with a hot engine - I see that with my 1hz all the time. Pressure is higher when oil is cold.

With Toyota filters - avoid the ones made in Thailand (part number has a 'T' on the end). We get lots of aftermarket brand filters here in Oz - Ryco, etc. - but for my 80 as the motor is old (688 k km's after 30 yrs) good oil support is important.

Thanks a lot for all replies.
Maybe I was too hasty in deciding pressure was too low right after changing oil.
Since I couldn't do much about it at home, drove around half an hr this morning and everything seems fine (pressure is between 2 middle lines, occasionally touching both).

Sorry for starting unnecessary thread but I guess better safe than sorry.
Well, if you had an oil pressure problem, you certainly would have known it by now.........

(pressure is between 2 middle lines, occasionally touching both
Completely normal. Mine is usually near the upper-middle line at startup and over ~1,500 RPM, and just below the lower-middle line at idle after warming up. That's with Mobil 10W-40. Engines barely need any oil pressure at idle, so as long as it's not resting on the bottom line at idle, you're likely fine.

I've stopped looking at my oil pressure gauge at this point. Cold it will show just over the first mark at idle in gear, once hot it hovers just above nothing. I did a search once and everyone has different readings on the dash no matter the type of oil or age of the engine. If you don't have oil pressure you'll know pretty quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom