oil leaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok guys what's the easiest way of hiding an oil leak. i know i gotta do it properly soon, but the road worthy needs to be obtained in a week or so. and what's the best method of getting the oily stuff off the engine and leaf springs next to it. my degreaser seemed to do bugger all

Don't know what your degreaser is, but we have all sorts of brands of ammonia based stuff here thats supposed to be environmentally safe. Not as good as the organic solvent stuff, but hey. Here, the ammonia stuff is purple. I use that, then get out the high pressure wand at the drive through car wash and hose away. Probably take several applications of Purple.

Then, of course, you do want to fix those leaks. May just be a leaky rocker cover gasket: they often leak in back where it is hard to see, but they are pretty simple fixes.

well i may not have the reddies or the time to fix before the check, and they make a huge deal out of it here. it will be fixed. i'm sure it's a rocker cover gasket, and an oil tray gasket, but with that, new exaust, new shocks, new side fence on the house, new bullbar, and new shackle rubbers, both my time and my wallet can only stretch so far, rest assured cruiser fans, i'm not about to drive it into the ground. the degreaser i've got is purple... can't get it to a car wash... not allowed to drive it on the street untill RWC is issued. can't even take it to a mech without getting a tow truck to take it (too heavy to be towed on car trailer)

flat towing is illegal in australia from what i can gather.  if i'm going to break the laws, i might as well drive it there.  

new muffler, oil leaks, new bullbar, adjust the front brakes again, new shock rubber (done), check all 10 seatbelts for fraying, replace bolt on seat that makes it wobble, and hopefully i'm done. all this in less than a week. (and tonight i turned the lights on to look for any tools i left on the lawn, a headlight bulb blew

brian... too true  :D   but not to worry, the HJ doesn't start without oil... well it starts then 2 seconds later there's a click, like a relay, and it stops.  could it have an oil pressure trigger or something.

unfortunately the roadworthy guys don't like it when they're spilling the black stuff everywhere.

and brian, i guess from your sig your a toyota fan

after a couple of drivetrain oil seal changes, my cruiser doesn't leak a drop. cop that.

and the EDIC is supposed to have an oil pressure switch which shuts fuel off in case of no pressure.

sam

"and the EDIC is supposed to have an oil pressure switch which shuts fuel off in case of no pressure. " :D

thought it was something like that. now for the anagram illiterate, what is EDIC?

electrical diesel injection control

the little arm that comes off the top of it moves the fuel governor from off to normal to rich. When starting it moves to the rich position for a while, then clicks back to the normal position. I just read somewhere that it also shuts off the fuel when the temp gets too high as well.

Sam

thanks. i don't know how hot too hotr is, my thermostat broke a year ago, and temp went off the scale (wasn't watching. still ran though. funiest thing was i could open my thermostat (and therefore return to normal op temp) by turning on the heater. became part of start up tradition till i got motivated to fix stuff

well guys wish me luck, going to get the Road worthy test. don't know how it'll fair :'( i almost got a under the table one, nudge nudge, but the guy went out o fbusiness a couple of weeks ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom