oil filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thorvald

Threads
Website
www.pointyhatdesigns.com
cruiserdan probably knows for sure, but was told by the parts man at the local dealership the better filter is no longer available, is this true?
seems like I just saw something on a thread about it not being the case, but cant find it. I settled for the yzzb one figuring its better than aftermarket for the moment.
looks like RMC is selling the yzzb for the price of the better one
:eek:
I paid 5 something, whats the list?

B-LONE-E

Thor, they are jerkin' yer gerkin.

Once again, for the record:

Big, original filter: 15600-41010
Small jap filter(good one): 90915-20004
Small economy filter: 90915-YZZB5
All three are currently serviced and I carry all of them.
If the turkeys are not interested in providing you with the filter you desire, PM me and I will be delighted to outfit you. :D

Small jap filter(good one): 90915-20004
  Small economy filter: 90915-YZZB5

Dan,

Just curious, when you say jap filter do you mean made in japan? Because I have the YZZB5 filters and they say Made In Japan

Brian

P.S. Just purchased a K&N HP3001 Oil Filter and plan on giving it a try. It has that 1" wrench nut on top that I hope will make a change-out go faster.

Brian,

Both filters 90915-YZZB5 and 90915-20004 say "made in Japan" on the box. So I should say "Small Jap filter (good one)" and "Small jap filter (economy one)"........ :D

When you have them side-by-side you can see some subtle differences. The "good one" has a pre-lubricated orange o-ring and back-flow valve, the "economy" one has a dry, black o-ring and back-flow valve. In addition, there does not appear to be a by-pass valve in the "economy" filter.

Dan.

Thorvald,
You should go back to your dealer, ask to talk to the GM (or at the very least, the guy above the parts manager) and let them know what you were told. You should then say you find it hard that a Toyota dealership would stoop so low, to sell you an inferior filter, just to get more service dollars out of you in the long run. Then say that the filters, I think I'm right (Cdan correct me if I'm wrong) come in boxes of 10. You would appreciate one free box of the 20004's to make it up to you.

Then, if they say no, call Toyota USA. Your parts dude must have sat on his mag flashlight one too many times.

Then buy all your stuff from some cdog dude. ;)

Junk,

The 90915-YZZB5 and the 90915-20004 both come in boxes of 10.

This parts manager can kick the GM's sorry butt..... :D

::)

Well, I think we all know that there are good parts guys and bad. After deciding to switch to synthetic oil (thanks Cary - you just made me poorer) I figured I didn't want to run the yzzb filter so I called one dealer and was told the 15600-41010 was superceded and no longer available. For some reason he wasn't happy when I told him he was wrong. The next guy I called was familiar with all three filters and stocked the 90915-20004 but thought the 15600-41010 was superceded. When he saw they were still available, he ordered a case so he could keep them in stock.

So, the moral of the story, if you have a choice between delears, as we do in the Seattle area, keep looking until you find a good one and do all your business with them.

For those of you in the Seattle area who want this filter, try Michaels Toyota in Bellevue, he will have them in stock this week.

Tom

[quote author=TomH link=board=2;threadid=4047;start=0#msg30008 date=1059840503]
Well, I think we all know that there are good parts guys and bad. After deciding to switch to synthetic oil (thanks Cary - you just made me poorer)
Tom
[/quote]

If you change it every 6,000 miles, you won't really be any poorer, and it will give you time to work on other things. Hey at least you didn't make the house smell like gear oil because you left the door open while changing it (like I did last night).

Cary

Hey at least you didn't make the house smell like gear oil because you left the door open while changing it (like I did last night).

Cary

What gear oil do you use? I was going to run Mobil 1 75W-90 in the transfer case and diffs but it looks like the FSM calls for 80W-90 in the diffs. Just curious.

Thanks
Tom

I use Redline 75w-90 gear oil for the diff and transfer case. It is rated GL5+ and GL6. The 75w-90 is fine as it has more film strength than regular 90 weight mineral oil. I highly recommend Redline gear and transmission lubes. I have been using them for over 10 years with no problems. In fact the MTL for manual transmissions fixes the problems with BMW's not wanting to shift when cold. Redline is run by a large number of racers in gearboxes and diffs.

Is the 20004 oil filter better than the larger 15600-41010 oil filter? if so why.
Thanks

Thanks for all the good information. Please check my new thread on "Best oil for the 92 FJ80 with 89,000 miles

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=4047;start=0#msg30307 date=1060026830]
I don't think the larger filter is "better." It just depends on how much oil you like draining down the block when you remove the filter. That's why I run the 20004.
[/quote]

I had NO oil spillage the last time I changed mine (BIG filter). I punched three big holes in the filter with a screwdriver and let it sit for 20 minutes as I was draining the oil. Not a drop spilled.

Sorry guys to bring up this old thread but I need to buy my first oil filter. Local dealer only has the small economy filter and the large one. And I need to change the oil now. :rolleyes:

So I guess I should just use the larger one since it's better.

When comparing the "good" small filter (the one I can't get unless I order it from Dan) to the larger one - is the only difference that the small filter will spill less on the block?

Riley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom