Oil Consumption (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see that I use/burn oil only when the motor revs high like when the ECT switch is on or when the tranny kicks down in hill country. When the motor stays under about 4000RPM it uses little if any oil.
Is this normal, normal for a hi mi motor?
I have tried dino 10w30 dino, 15w40 dino, and 10w30 M1 and all were the same on oil consumption.
kurt

Define Burn Oil, 1 quart every 500, one every 5000?

Cary

Don't know if it's normal, but I had a 140 mile freeway commute each way, over the last month or two, I started to keep track of my oil consumption and found I used 1 quart of M1 10w30 every 1300 miles. I am back to my 1-2 miles commute now, so I will see if it is any different. Also if I can find cheap M1 0w40 next oil change, I may switch to that to see if it affects oil consumption.

On my trip to CO (1000 mi) the tranny would kick down to get up the IA hills. I used 1qt. In the mt's I used 1qt in about 500 mi. The trip back 1200 mi I didn't need to add any oil, maybe down 1/8 of a qt. This is with 15w40 Rotella T dino.
I drove about 200 mi at 80+ mph and the ECU (tranny switch) on. The pedal was to the metal the whole way. It used over a qt of oil doing that. THat was with 10w30 M1. In normal driving it hardly used any.
kurt

It is not uncommon to see the type of consumption you saw when running an engine under a high load for extended periods. You should not be concerned unless the consumption is ongoing. Generally, you shouldn't be worried unless you average consumption is more than 1 quart per 1000 miles. If it is more than that, something is going on, worn motor, sticking piston ring, leakage, blowby.

Cary

Cary,

Please correct if this observation is incorrect: An engine is used short trips and doesn't quite get hot. The oil level is monitored and the oil has some miles on it. Vehicle goes on extended freeway run and oil is checked a few hundred miles down the road and its LOW :eek: . What is happening here is the oil is being consumed all along but unburned fuel and maybe other stuff is taking it's place and "keeping it full". The high speed, high temp run allows the "fluff" to finally evaporate and be consumed by the PCV system. So, it really didn't burn a quart in 300 miles afterall.

The trip I used 1qt in 200 mi was the return trip that I was on and drove it with ease for 300+ hwy mi with no oil loss.

Kurt,

Pardon my ignorance, but are you saying that you're doing sustained runs at over 4000 rpm?! I don't think I've ever had my truck at 4K...that would be like...a zillion miles per hour. Or is it different on pre-95 80's?

Tom

It is when the tranny kicks down to pass or go up a hill. Or when the tranny is in power mode and the motor revs to red line.
kurt

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4752;start=msg36031#msg36031 date=1062098748]
Cary,

Please correct if this observation is incorrect: An engine is used short trips and doesn't quite get hot. The oil level is monitored and the oil has some miles on it. Vehicle goes on extended freeway run and oil is checked a few hundred miles down the road and its LOW :eek: . What is happening here is the oil is being consumed all along but unburned fuel and maybe other stuff is taking it's place and "keeping it full". The high speed, high temp run allows the "fluff" to finally evaporate and be consumed by the PCV system. So, it really didn't burn a quart in 300 miles afterall.
[/quote]

Not unheard of, especially if you have a fuel dilution problem. Also, oil expands when it is warm. If you normally check it hot and then wait and check it cold, you could see a half quart drop.

Unless the consumption is high on a regular basis, don't worry about it. It is not uncommon.

Cary

I just need to get the wife to stop using the power mode (ECT switch)
What does ECT stand fo??

Electronicly Controled Transmission.

Boy if I didn't know what the switch did, you would think it would mean that when you push it you have Electronicly Controled Transmission. I would of wrote Power or Performance Mode. They do that on there Toyota, someone wasn't thinking or it got lost in the translation into English.
kurt

Owners manual?

Got it... ;)

>> Electronicly Controled Transmission. <<

And C-Dan can't spell. One out of 3 ain't bad though.
:D
-B-

B-

Since Kurt can't read, what the heck difference does it make anyway? ::)

( I was in a hurry and I loaned my spell-checker to fAvE...... :flipoff2: )

>> Since Kurt can't read ... <<

So that explains why he has never read Beowulf. And I accused him of sleeping during English Lit in high school.

Sorry Kurt, my bad. ;)

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom