Oil burner info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all I need to know if any of you guys would recomend a chevy 6.2 diesel swap into a FJ60. Do you guys have any tips or even reasons to talk me out of it. all the help I can get is very appreciated.

That is a heavy engine and it really never caught on. Taken care of, it's a pretty good motor, IIRC made by Isuzu.

Really I'd start thinking Cummins 4BT or a Toyota diesel. Better suited for the application, and there is plenty of people that have done it.

thanks

I wasnt sure if the chevy was a better horse power producer than the 4bt. Is the wieght of the two similar? I was told that the 4bt was a very heavy motor.​

Well from a diesel you want torque right? Cummins is where it's at. If you want hp go with a SBC or similar.

I'm almost positive the humble 4-cyl. 4BT is lighter than the 8-cyl. 6.2, maybe someone else could chime in with a weight comparison.

i think the 6.2 was one of the worst diesel motors ever made as far as fuel efficiency goes, they also get real pricey for parts and labour when the injection pump goes, which is more frequent than most. Not that i have anything against chev motors, well actually most of them except the 350 and a few others.

I would say look for swap ideas in the diesel section, or throw in the SBC 350 - there is an adaptor for this and is a common swap. Or get a beat up bj60 from canada and use it as parts.

6.2 weighs 600/650lbs.... injection pumps cost no more than most carbs, most pump failures are related to diesel formula configure changes......

There is only a slight weight difference between a 6.2 and a 2F. The 6.2 is 40lbs heavier. I had weighed both engines, but forget the exact weights. The extra battery required adds some weight. If you use the GM A6 A/c compressor it adds some extra weight too.
You won't feel any extra power. No power benefit with a 6.2 over the 2F. About the same to drive power wise as a 2F.
Mileage is better than the 2F, but the fact that diesel fuel costs more than gas in the USA kinda offsets the fuel savings advantage. The numbers don't favor a diesel conversion.
But there's a cool factor about the uniqueness of having a diesel in the land of gassers. As far as diesels go, the 6.2 may not have the cool factor a turbo charged Cummins has or have the sweet purring smothness of a 6cyl Toyota diesel, but it gets the job done.

i think the 6.2 was one of the worst diesel motors ever made as far as fuel efficiency goes
I find it very comparable to my HJ60. I got 19MPG with my HJ, and 18MPG with my 6.2 powered 60, but I have more power with the 6.2. So in my opinion the 6.2 is more efficient.

no im thinking of the 6.2, an ex had one 85 3/4 4x4, it had poor mileage, and the injection pump was a lot more expensive than a carb, plus the mechanic had to pretty much pull the engine out to put the new one in at less than 350,000kms, maybe she had one from a bad batch but that thing was in the shop too much for me. It pulled but was gutless, which might be due the heavy GM and high mileage motor, but i dont have any love for that motor.

If I was going to do a diesel swap, the 6.2 would not be one of my first choices unless I could get one for basically free. Yeah, it has a lot more power than smaller diesels, but I don't want 40's on my land cruiser. It wasn't as reliable as anything cummins or internationa(ford) made, so finding one from the early/mid 80's that hasn't been abused and is affordable would be a challenge IMHO. The only advantage I see would be the fittment under the hood and being able to bolt up to a 5sd tranny...guess its starting to sound better. But I still would look into something else if it were my rig.

There is a company in OZ that makes a kit for a gm 6.2 and 6.5 swap into an 80 series. I dont know about a 60.

Compatibility would be a plus. As there are tons of adapters to fit the rear of a v8 chev block.

IMHO 6.2 is not the most desireable diesel for a 60.

Comparing the different diesels that will fit I a 60 is like comparing apples and oranges. They are so different from each other. They all have their pros & cons.

Some pros for the 6.2 diesels if you’re trying to talk yourself into one:
Cheap: Low cost to purchase. Cheap and easy to find replacement parts
Weight: Only 40lbs heavier than a 2F,
Power band: Has a wide useable power band designed for and better suited for automotive applications & highway driving. Wide and broad power band. It will rev freely past 3,000 RPM.
Noise: Relatively quiet in N/A form, only the 6 Cyl Toyota diesels are quieter.
Fits well: No lift required.
Stock radiator keeps it cool. Which means you can keep stock A/C condenser, which means easy non-modified A/C system. A Larger radiator won’t allow use of stock A/C condenser and A/C hoses.

I wouldn’t say the 6.2 is as good or strong as a Cummins or anything, and I wouldn’t pick it over some of the mid 1980’s or newer Toyota diesels, but it is not a bad choice for an all purpose daily driven 60 series Landcruiser .

I don't think anyone mentioned another plus for the 6.2/6.5 is they were designed to replace SBC, so have the same bellhousing, flywheel pattern, engine mount locations, water pump hose orientation, etc.
So a 6.2 will bolt in using the commonly available SBC swap parts.

I don't think anyone mentioned another plus for the 6.2/6.5 is they were designed to replace SBC, so have the same bellhousing, flywheel pattern, engine mount locations, water pump hose orientation, etc.
So a 6.2 will bolt in using the commonly available SBC swap parts.

Good point here. And thanks FLcruiser for the weight info.

I've driven a 6.2. I thought it was gutless compared to my non turbo 7.3 IH or a 12 valve Cummins.

Last edited:
They are gutless & flimsy in stock 1985 form.

But now that crack-resistant heads are available, better head gaskets, ARP studs, etc. the engine can be rebuilt to be durable.

With a tweaked IP (better yet, add a turbo) power is reasonable. The limiting factor on those engine was not EGT, it was keeping the engine together when under heavy load. Now it's possible to build one that will be peppy in a relatively light Cruiser, and still deliver decent cruise economy.

The chev diesels can be a nice swap. Its popular in oz and we cannot get the engines as cheap as you guys can.
The only thing that I dont like is the noise but maybe that can be fixed with some insulation.
Here is a local conversion into a 80 series done by Brunswick Diesel.
robs pics 135 (Small).jpg

I did one back in July 2006 and have 11,000 miles on it sense the install, couldn't ask for more, I am getting 21 to 23 miles to the gallon average driving it hard town & country made all the mounts myself did it with a Ranger O/D unit used the 6.2 alt., p/s, a/c, & vac pump for the brakes, It has gear noise in the O/D unit, which is my only complaint, but I am getting ready to do a FJ62 with 6.2 and a 700R4 setup. I think that will be nice setup O/D with lockup convertor. Will see. Oh the GM sticker on the breather says 155HP@3600RPM . Yes the inj. pump is problem after app. 200,000 miles and a rebuilt one is app. $365.00 exchange.

I did one back in July 2006 and have 11,000 miles on it sense the install, couldn't ask for more, I am getting 21 to 23 miles to the gallon average driving it hard town & country made all the mounts myself did it with a Ranger O/D unit used the 6.2 alt., p/s, a/c, & vac pump for the brakes, It has gear noise in the O/D unit, which is my only complaint, but I am getting ready to do a FJ62 with 6.2 and a 700R4 setup. I think that will be nice setup O/D with lockup convertor. Will see. Oh the GM sticker on the breather says 155HP@3600RPM . Yes the inj. pump is problem after app. 200,000 miles and a rebuilt one is app. $365.00 exchange.

Thats still a cheap inj pump. The Denso rotary pumps for the Toyota 6 cyl can run into the $1000s for a rebuild(mine was $1500AUD).

The companies that do the conversion in oz also modfy the tranny,I think they get it to shift earlier on the Nissan Patrol and Landcruiser autos
They also give them a bigger radiator.

Ive heard it easy to turbo the 6.2/6.5 in a LHD vehicle ,true or false?

the burner debate

Thanks all for all the great tips and advice. I rally appreciate the help. I think I will keep with my plans for the 400 HP 383 that was going into it this summer. I have chosen to make the fj a great off road rig and convert the Range Rover to diesel. It needs the diesel power more than the cruiser any way. Thanks again every one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom