Oil Analysis back on 5w-30 M1 for 12k miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tabraha

Hello My Name is: TAD
SILVER Star
Threads
I've been meaning to get this done after viewing several of Cary's. I ran M1 5W-30 and a M1 filter for 12,200 miles on the sample sent to blackstone. This sample was with zero qts of make up oil added (none were needed) This interval was primarily road usage with some severely muddy offroading interspersed. As I use the LX as a work vehicle (land surveying) it sometimes is forced to idle for long periods of time just sitting on the side of the road which I think puts greater wear that isn't reflected in the mileage. Still I would say everything looks within reason.

Here's blackstone comments then the breakdown:
TAD: No problems showed up in the initial sample from your Lexus. Almost all wear read right at (or below) averages for this type of engine, which is a good indication of normal wearing parts. The universal averages show normal wear after 4000 miles on the oil. Insolubles (oil oxidation due to heat, use and blow-by) were normal at 0.5%, showing good oil filtration. No fuel dilution or anti-freeze was found. The TBN read 2.7, so the oil still contained some (not a lot) active additive. You could run this oil a little longer, if you wanted. Try 13,500 miles next sample.

SAMPLE DATE 08/26/04

ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 8
COPPER 1
LEAD 3
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 65
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 103
SILICON 13
SODIUM 5
CALCIUM 2702
MAGNESIUM 13
PHOSPHORUS 736
ZINC 863
BARIUM 0
MI/HR ON OIL 12,200
MI/HR ON UNIT 112,200
SUS Viscosity 64.4
Flashpoint deg. F 390
Fuel % <0.5
Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % .5
TBN 2.7

Tad

Your numbers are right in line with others I have seen for the V-8, except your mileage is much higher. Great report, good engine, good oil, nice to see. This is the reason to run a good synthetic, so you can push the interval out like this. If you haven't, I would suggest you post the report over at bobistheoilguy.com.

Did you change oil filters during those 12K miles? Which filter are you using, the Denso Toyota one that's been discontinued?

--Jim

Jim_Chow said:
Did you change oil filters during those 12K miles? Which filter are you using, the Denso Toyota one that's been discontinued?

--Jim

I considered filter changing at 6k miles but decided I would run a full 12k miles once to see how it did and also that way I could get solid numbers on oil consumption over the extended interval. This way I got a true measurement of consumption without loss of oil due to the filter change; surprisingly of note there was no perceivable change in level on the dipstick over the entire 12k mile interval. This also means that the analysis is of 100% original oil because no replinishment was necessary. It was the Mobil 1 filter that I used.

-Tad

My oil report

I just got mine from Blackstone yesterday. Conditions as follows:

2000 Land Cruiser with 99,400mi.
Oil: Mobil 1 Full Synth 5W/30
Oil Filter: OEM Toyota Filter
Oil change interval: 7,000mi

Report: Universal ave show typical wear metals for an oil from this type of engine after about 5654 miles run on the oil. Your oil was in use for 7,000miles, and we found all wear at around average levels and in the correct balance to show normal mechanical parts inside. Air and oil filtration (see silicone and insolubles) appear normal. This was 5W/30 engine oil with no fuel, moisture or anti-freeze in it. The oil could have stayed in use longer. Try 7500-8000 miles for the next sample and check back to see results. Nice wearing Toyota!

SAMPLE DATE 09/13/06

ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 8
COPPER 5
LEAD 1
TIN 5
MOLYBDENUM 71
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 68
SILICON 10
SODIUM 7
CALCIUM 1874
MAGNESIUM 15
PHOSPHORUS 596
ZINC 763
BARIUM 0
MI/HR ON OIL 7,000
MI/HR ON UNIT 99,400
SUS Viscosity 62.6
Flashpoint deg. F 400
Fuel % <0.5
Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % .2

Looks like I can run it a little longer!

I changed to all M1 at 5K and am debating with myself whether to change at the recommended intervals of 5K or go 8-10k between.

What do you guys think??

If I don't change at 5k I guess I void the warranty, but I guess I did that when I changed my tires too!

That is very valuable info., thanks for letting us know! Proof is in the product with Mobil1. We sell a good deal of Mobil gear oil to Rockwell Dodge/ Alliance (and a few other divisions) and that is the only thing that they use on the endurance tests with gearboxes. With what they put that stuff through I think we will all be fine.

CrusrDug said:
I changed to all M1 at 5K and am debating with myself whether to change at the recommended intervals of 5K or go 8-10k between.

What do you guys think??

If I don't change at 5k I guess I void the warranty, but I guess I did that when I changed my tires too!

I think you are find at 10k intervals but you are better doin it at 5k if that is the manufacture recommended interval to be safe in the event you have a warranty claim. Then go to 10k after warranty. BTW, I thought it was 7.5k miles, as my 80 recommends that interval.

cary said:
I think you are find at 10k intervals but you are better doin it at 5k if that is the manufacture recommended interval to be safe in the event you have a warranty claim. Then go to 10k after warranty. BTW, I thought it was 7.5k miles, as my 80 recommends that interval.

It's 5K in the manual, plus that annoying blinking maint light starts going off about 200 miles before it turns steady at the 5K interval:)

I run M1 in everything. I take the interval to 8K because I am concerned about the grease.
My concern is that while the oil could go longer; the Lube points need frequent injection of new grease.
Anybody care to weigh in on the quality of grease and the frequency of lube.
I want it all to get what it needs when it needs it.

My question is i am planning on running the m1-209 unless someone says it needs to be the m1-209A filter but do I need to run the extended performance Mobil 1 or go with high mileage Mobil one all of which are going to be fully synthetic. I have a 2002 LC with 215,000 on it. I’m also planning on running it for 8,000-10,000 miles or once a year which ever comes first. I have heard great things on this setup but I was getting confused on the extended performance that says up to 15,000 miles on it or the high mileage that’s over 75,000 miles on your car.

My question is i am planning on running the m1-209 unless someone says it needs to be the m1-209A filter but do I need to run the extended performance Mobil 1 or go with high mileage Mobil one all of which are going to be fully synthetic. I have a 2002 LC with 215,000 on it. I’m also planning on running it for 8,000-10,000 miles or once a year which ever comes first. I have heard great things on this setup but I was getting confused on the extended performance that says up to 15,000 miles on it or the high mileage that’s over 75,000 miles on your car.

I don’t think I would sweat either one. Also, I’ve done another 160,000 since the original UOA! I’ve never seen an engine so easy on oil.

Holy thread resurrection! Dormant for 13 years.

No to high mileage oil. Yes to M1 Extended performance 15k oil - worth the extra few dollars on a 5qt bottle.

Holy thread resurrection! Dormant for 13 years.

No to high mileage oil. Yes to M1 Extended performance 15k oil - worth the extra few dollars on a 5qt bottle.

Isn’t it great that folks are still here and active to reply?? MUD folks are the best! Thanks also for your feedback on the oil and I’m assuming the filter is going to be the m1-209 not the m1-209A....

I've used the M1209A for a while- its a bit more oil capacity; meh but not sure its more filter area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom