offset caster bearings - why am I not reading about them here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At 3* correction they are only viable for lifts in the 2" range. And they add another 150.00 to a knuckle job.
thanks for weighing in! - but they reduce the pinion angle issue which is the core topic of discussion on these forums, no? Seems like the best place to start caster correction to me, especially if one is already servicing the front knuckles...

Last edited:
The only people who have pinion angle issues are those who don't take drive shaft geometry into consideration when choosing a lift and a caster correction method.

I'm not sure that's what I'm seeing here. Most lift-related questions are about vibration after lifting and/or caster correction. The go-to solution for unresolvable issues is a CV shaft - which really should always point toward the Tcase output in a perfect world, whereas all conventional caster correction methods (including mine) act as if the radius arm suspension behaves the same as leafs or links (it doesn't) and rotate the pinion back to the original angle.

I'm thinking the offset bushings in conjunction with a CV shaft is a better approach for the majority of cases? (I could be wrong, often so) I mean, it's basically a cut & rotate for the first 3 degrees...

They may be more prone to failure being that the bearing is offset, especially if running 37+” rubber.

I have used them and had no issues but only on trucks with 33” tires. You could also use them with say bushings to get in the 5* range of correction.

Cheers

The tolerances for a DC shaft are tighter than a stock shaft. And there have been plenty of times that a truck went PT because nothing worked. And our radius arm trucks do not behave like leaf spring trucks. A leaf spring trucks that I've worked on have a traditional parallel u-joint setup and as you lift the truck those joints stay in parallel for the most part. Out trucks start out in a broken back alignment and as the truck is lifted and caster correction applied the alignment of the u-joints transition to a DC alignment and then beyond where neither driveshaft will work. This is where people PT or some have used a Double DC shaft.

They may be more prone to failure being that the bearing is offset, especially if running 37+” rubber.

I have used them and had no issues but only on trucks with 33” tires. You could also use them with say bushings to get in the 5* range of correction.

Cheers

prone to failure because of the smaller diameter? (since their relative angle should be the same once lifted, right?)

prone to failure because of the smaller diameter? (since their relative angle should be the same once lifted, right?)

Being offset they are thinner on one side. I am not saying they are weaker but am saying they could be due to being thin on one side.

Cheers

So, since caster correction introduces pinion angle issues, why am I not reading about the SPC offset caster bearings here? Seems like a superior solution; what am I missing?

SPC Offset Caster Bearings
The term "superior solution" sometimes can be relative. And I think applies here, thinking about all the variables. Good points were brought up by @landtank and @SNLC. Assuming bearing quality in the kits are comparible to Koyo, all it adds to a knuckle job is cost, another source to gather parts from and care in alignment of the races. For corrections in the 3* range, its another way to go and may be the choice for some, no disrespect intended.

Personally, I would prefer to keep the knuckle as designed and adjust at the control arm/axle joint such as CC plates or like Delta's radius arms - if you're taking a pole. I installed the CC bushings provided by OME with my 2.5" lift 16 yrs ago and the only issue I've experienced is the lack of return-to-center which has been more noticible since running 315/75 tires. So, been keeping my eyes open and except for the co$t, the Delta arms look like best choice for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom