Offroading, towing, and family hauling with a 3G Tree (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When is the lift going in? I was driving through Spokane Wa in my Frigid Biome a few weeks ago and saw a charcoal 3rd Gen “Tree” that was looking like it was on 34s and 3” maybe? It looked AMAZING.

When is the lift going in? I was driving through Spokane Wa in my Frigid Biome a few weeks ago and saw a charcoal 3rd Gen “Tree” that was looking like it was on 34s and 3” maybe? It looked AMAZING.
It should be getting delivered today and I'm anxious to do it, but we are doing a quick weekend camping trip. So, maybe Sunday night late :D.

Unfortunately, I am too cheap to sell the OEM Wildpeaks and will wait to upgrade until I use these up, so I'll be running the 3/1 lift on 33s for a while.

Thought I'd share the air compressor install I finished on Friday. Viair 400H mounted on the side of the engine bay to some L channel brackets. Brackets mounted to existing bolt holes supporting hood apron on top and one rivet nut on a fender support hole on bottom. Mounting screws go through the engine bay trim so that it retains the hood seal gasket and more OEM appearance. Inlet air located at top edge of radiator and inside edge of plastic (headlight shield support?).

Power routed to bus bars mounted on other side of engine bay, wired with parallel 1/0 cables running back to parallel 500A continuous duty solenoids mounted above battery in rear quarter panel cavity. I preinstalled these for the winch but decided to use it for the compressor as well. The solenoids are activated with the previously shown "Winch Power" switch on the dash, and for the compressor, using the local switch as well.

No excessive vibration, and although it was a tight fit, there is no contact with the air filter housing or fuse box, and I kept just enough room so they could still be opened.

20231203_180703.jpg
20231203_180716.jpg
20231203_180734.jpg

Love it!
Did you route from bus bars back internally or hug the frame externally?..

Love it!
Did you route from bus bars back internally or hug the frame externally?..
Externally. I watched a video where they routed it along the sill channels by the doors and maybe my 1/0 sheathing was thicker than theirs, but no way was that fitting, and also wasn't looking forward to drilling that size of firewall hole. Instead it travels down, along the top of the frame rail, then jumps into the driver side wheel well along the fuel lines with plenty of space behind the liner, and through some gland seals into the battery compartment.

Once I had the guts to drill my battery compartment holes, the rest was easy.

Very clean install! Right now, I'm still thinking I will install my compressor in place of the stock jack above the battery. That will make it easier to inflate the boat trailer tires.

Very clean install! Right now, I'm still thinking I will install my compressor in place of the stock jack above the battery. That will make it easier to inflate the boat trailer tires.
Definitely a good spot for it. If you remove the jack bracket there is a ton of space. With a little work, you could even fab a slightly different jack bracket to tuck it to the side and fit the compressor next to it.

Westcott 3/1 Lift is on. CBI Bumper is on. Winch is on. Just need to get a front end alignment and throw my skids back on.

Comments / notes for others:
After <10k miles the top nut on my driver side front shock was fairly rusted. Took a lot of PB blaster and swearing to get it off.

The 3/1 lift gave me 2" in the front and 7/8" in the rear.

The thicker CBI shims were needed to get the bumper to properly clear the grill plastic on the edges. It sucked having to undo literally everything just to add the shims in. I would suggest starting with the shims.

The CBI covert bumper bull bar appears to be fully compatible with both the ultrasonic parking sensors and the forward radar. Both have worked with no issues.

The Badlands Apex 12k winch fits on the CBI Covert bumper winch tray. I moved the radiator hose lower behind the winch/ below the fan. The grill support brackets came really close but don't contact it. The freespool handle would have hit the bracket and been hard to reach, so I cut the handle in half and extended it with ~18" of 3/8" aluminum rod, threaded and tapped into the two halves of the handle, with jam nuts and cold weld epoxy. I also welded a bracket to support it at the top. It requires the hood to be open to operate the freespool, so no one can mess with my winch, but the wireless remote works excellently and I can technically do a powered unwind without opening the hood (but I won't do that unless I am a situation where popping the hood is difficult/dangerous).

Westcott 3/1 makes the OEM TRD Pro tires look so small!
20231224_173234.jpg

CBI Covert bumper with bar:
20231224_173203.jpg

Freespool handle and bracket:
20231225_161839.jpg

Just waiting on my 20" light bar and a Hawse mount license plate bracket. I was going to try and fab a bracket to reuse the factory fogs, but it would have been a very difficult fit and then my 2 yr old pulled them off of the workbench onto the ground and broke them, so that idea became moot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom