Official ONSC member buying/selling thread (20 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^^
But there's no need to get it "right" since it's 22 years old unless you're looking for perfect and stock (and you're looking at the wrong truck, if so). Make it reliable with fluids, brakes and a new mirror (2 of those should be done to anything you buy). Remove and clean the interior. Screw the dings and dents. Cracked dash? I bet half the people who've had to remove theirs more than once have cracked theirs. Mine came that way and I couldn't care less - makes it that much easier to remove every time I need to. Rust free? Hell yeah; that's huge. Cosmetic stuff doesn't matter unless you want to "collect" it instead of drive it. This is probably a perfect starting platform for a lot of people. Just what kind of trucks are you finding for $4k that you think this one is nuts? Your estimate of another $4k to get it right must assume that it's either not drivable as is or you would repaint it.

A 1993 vehicle that's stock and proven to be not possibly 'neglected' is gonna cost a lot more than this one. But there'll be a buyer for that, too, regardless of the price, and it'll probably be worth it.

Kinda what I was thinking too. A solid drivetrain means alot more to me than cosmetics. Great start to a project here. If this one had lockers I would have driven it home today (but that's a no-brainer). Guy told me he turned down $3500 yesterday. Somewhere between $3500 and $4K will buy it.

If it were mine, I would:

1. Fix the ABS sensor
2. Fix the mirror
3. Drive it pissless

Running with lockers for $4000. Now day it is hard.

Anybody have a rocker arm adjusting screw that they want to sell? Maybe two?

Followup pictures for my Lincoln welder. Am going to try getting it posted on Craigslist this evening if possible. For anyone coming this way to see it, you're welcome to plug in and take it for a test burn.

Take a look at total cost for a turn key welder with all the ancillary goods and it comes to a lot. The flow meter/regulator is over $100. The biggest shielding bottle Tractor Supply sells is a 125 CuFt and list for $350 empty. This is an almost full 160 CuFt bottle. 45 pounds of wire, another $100+.

20150605_204423.jpg

20150605_203304.jpg

20150605_204525.jpg

20150607_111324.jpg

Looks like NCJeff's old rig. Believe e sold it last summer for same price. Or 14k. If that's the one it's very nice !

So I met the guy and looked at this 80. He's firm on $4K. Seems to run good. Under hood looks fine. Not locked. HG was done by Toyota Techs in Ft. Mill a while back as preventative maintenance. ABS light is on. Supposedly a sensor issue that Toyota Techs caused and are willing to correct. AC blows cold. Tires are okay. Interior is a 7-8/10 Cloth seats look surprisingly good and have no tears. Dash is cracked. Carpet is dirty. Sunroof has leaked. Exterior is just fair. No rust. Mashed in a bit a fuel filler area and under the grille. PS rear fender flare is fubared and partially missing. Antenna mast is broken. Plenty of scratches, dents and sun fade. Hood and PS front fender have been painted at some point. Driver side mirror hanging on with duct tape. Looks to be a pretty solid cruiser with some life left in it if you can get past the bumps and bruises and the fact that it isn't locked. I have pics if anyone is interested. The owner seems to be a great guy. Young dude. Getting married soon. Works at Jesse Browns. Fly fishing guide on the weekends. I couldn't stop drooling over the red 62 in the lot owned by one of the other Jesse Brown employees. It has been mentioned plenty of times in the "Spotted" thread.

well let me clarify.....a 23 year old truck with very little maintenance history and many example of neglectful previous owners is not worth $4k IN MY BOOK, but what do I know. Cruiser prices are nuts here on the east coast, so maybe he'll get it.

and maybe not $4k to get it 'right' but a good bit will have to be spent to be reliable. 80's aren't the cheapest thing to work on. You'll need all new fluids, tires, brakes (ABS light on?) Leaking sunroof? Smelly/interior, and that sunroof will need to be fixed. Update the interior, even if you strip it and clean, my time is worth something. All types of nickle and dime parts. And of course a rainy day fund for when something goes wrong. And it's a 23 year old luxury truck, enter cautiously.

Just my insight looking in.

when I bought my 92 fj80 for 3800$ it had 171k on the clock, needed new tires and the front bumper and valence were bent an had a couple small dents. no rust and a nice interior.... just for reference

Prices are and have been on the rise. I search CL and other sources weekly and have for years and you can count on paying more for a 60/62 or an 80 than you may expect. There are fewer one or two owner rigs every day. I do not think that $4K for a rig that runs OK and is not completely trashed is bad in today's market. A very clean, straight, good running truck with around 200K is going to cost you $8K and up, probably up.

Also keep in mind parts availability when looking at a rig. Every motor, trans and T-case I take out for a swap is snapped up, regardless of condition. My point being that a $800 parts 80 from two years ago is now $1,500

I used to tell people back in the 90's to set aside another 1k for stuff after you buy an old truck for stuff the old owner did not care about or knew he was selling so why put money into it. Now I tell folks about 3k for the same stuff.

Really?! Text me the address. I'm taking the Fj over there for some comparison pics. :)

Apparently FJs are magnets. I was driving it just now and the wife of the owner of that red 1960 FJ pulled up next to me in her maxima to say hi and take pictures. Told me all about her husbands recent import from Costa Rica. Told me how much they paid and what they plan to get for it. Let's just say, they're planning to make $31k profit. I told her good luck and went on my way. Also told her to join up here - so let's keep our comments factual and cordial. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom