Official LX570s Picture Thread (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's been a while...some pics from Rubi this summer (I'm sure y'all saw them on Ken's post). This was a fantastic and extremely humbling trip. Summer 2019 we pushed our 200s through Poison Spider/GoldBar Rim/Golden Spike with ease and wanted more. Rubi was more and def the extent/limitation of the 200/570 platform without lift IMO. I ended up having a major issue with the charcoal/evap can (3rd time happened on the trip) and I feel it is the weakest/single failure point of the 200/570. There is a nice write up in Toyota Trails that should be out in the next issue. Cant thank my team (Degens) for helping me get off trail and back to Dolan Lexus in Reno. If you ever have any issues on the Con and need a dealer, ask for Carlos and Brett. They are hands down the epitome of the Lexus name in service and experience. The first shot is from the ever talented @kreiten daughter Emily.

Great pics and always awesome to see someone really push the platform.

What was the charcoal/evap issue? I forget if you have an aux tank?

Good to have you back! Will be interested in the article when it publishes. Any beta you can provide on the technical aspects would be amazing. I'd read that thread for sure.:beer:
Whatcha looking for? And sorry its been a while, bought a 20 570 and have been working on the build for my 80 for rubicon this summer.

Great pics and always awesome to see someone really push the platform.

What was the charcoal/evap issue? I forget if you have an aux tank?
Thanks, trying to make pic size smaller to upload but having technical issues.

The evap/charcoal can, for some reason, hates really hard hitting trails. The weird thing about the canister malfunction this time, is I didn't even get a notice it was malfunctioning. I took video for proof, as well as several friends on the trail. Prior to this, I would notice 4L wouldn't engage or disengage before I got an actual notification on the dash, then the center diff lock would flash. Normally, I would have to cut battery power for 3-5 mins and let the vehicle re set. It wasn't until after I re set it the truck wouldn't engage back to 'High' and I got a 4L malfunction and center diff light flashing on the dash. At this point I knew I was in trouble LOL.

I have shown the Lexus 'certified' techs how the canister affects the vehicle BEYOND just puking emissions. I had repeated probs with the center diff light flashing when I would cold start the vehicle in the morning. With the center diff light flashing, you cannot engage the cruise control OR 4L. I brought it in 3-4x and left it with them for several days at a time only to hear them say they cannot diagnose it. This becomes quit problematic when dealing with LFS (Lexus Financial Services) who administers the Platinum warranty. They are there to deny everything and really suck at engaging in Lexus type experience. I have lodged several complaints with Lexus corporate and documented, in my mind, atrocious behavior by LFS Management. To date, Lexus Corp (important to denote they are separate entities) has apologized and made due. Debating on what I do to the 20 570, I will be in further talks with them about better understanding how the charcoal can needs to be moved or technically updated. Unfortunately, until something better than the atrocity of CBI front bumper comes out, it'll be a mall/barn truck.

I am not running aux tank- the suspension is stock for the sole reason of pushing the truck as far as possible. Id highly suggest 2 Jerry cans of fuel as the first day I went through alittle over 3/4 of a tank and we only made it to the lake.

Whatcha looking for? And sorry its been a while, bought a 20 570 and have been working on the build for my 80 for rubicon this summer.
I think the further post covered some of it . . . I thought you had to exit the Rubicon due to a suspension issue, but it appears it was instead a different root cause. Super interesting and would love to undestand as much as you can share. I'm looking at an aux tank right now and trying to understand how the evap can and related functions can be evolved (a tiny bit) to allow that using the global sub tank BOM.

Ah yes, the dreaded MOAB CEL.

I likewise have experienced this a couple times in my ownership. The latest being stuck in 4LO in Death Valley, fortunately the mode I needed to be in for the next 15 miles after camp and waking up on a really cold wheeling morning. I had my laptop with me and OBD-II dongle but of course as luck would have it, my laptop managed to have drained its batt. After getting through the technical part, resorted to pulling the batt to reset the CELs and re-gain the ability to switch back to 4HI.

I agree it's inexplicable that they mixed what is a minor emissions CEL, with a major function of the vehicle.

I've since replaced my gas cap and will continue to watch this.

Why it is more likely to appear when wheeling - I chalk it up to the variability of corn based fuel blends here in the US, along with US wheeling venues with larger altitude variations. Ethanol based fuels have greater volatility/vapor pressures. Combine that with altitude and exhaust heat saturation under the car at low speeds, creates off-nominal situations for the emissions system.

Good reminder for all that wheel to have OBD-II CEL reset capability.

I think the further post covered some of it . . . I thought you had to exit the Rubicon due to a suspension issue, but it appears it was instead a different root cause. Super interesting and would love to undestand as much as you can share. I'm looking at an aux tank right now and trying to understand how the evap can and related functions can be evolved (a tiny bit) to allow that using the global sub tank BOM.
I exited Rubi under in Low...the last 10ish miles. Thankful for buddies in the group who helped tug over some of the boulders. Needless to say, if you are looking for absolute GOAT skids, I would go for Bud Built. Bud is a great guy and builds an outstanding product that he stands by. I had the Stage 3 Rock Armor and they took an absolute beating. I feel the same way with Slee sliders and their front Safari bumper- will say I am thankful for the airbag off and anti roll switch.

I, too, am trying to wrap my around the failure(s) of the charcoal can. I cannot seem to get any info from Lexus and the techs could not give any info based off of the lack of code. I was told to keep disconnecting the battery to which I said, nice, that's going to go well when I'm on a 30 degree slope needing to engage/disengage the system. Crazy.

Skids.jpg

Skids2.jpg

Skids3.jpg

Skids4.jpg

Skids5.jpg

I exited Rubi under in Low...the last 10ish miles. Thankful for buddies in the group who helped tug over some of the boulders. Needless to say, if you are looking for absolute GOAT skids, I would go for Bud Built. Bud is a great guy and builds an outstanding product that he stands by. I had the Stage 3 Rock Armor and they took an absolute beating. I feel the same way with Slee sliders and their front Safari bumper- will say I am thankful for the airbag off and anti roll switch.

I, too, am trying to wrap my around the failure(s) of the charcoal can. I cannot seem to get any info from Lexus and the techs could not give any info based off of the lack of code. I was told to keep disconnecting the battery to which I said, nice, that's going to go well when I'm on a 30 degree slope needing to engage/disengage the system. Crazy.

View attachment 2562612

View attachment 2562613

View attachment 2562614

View attachment 2562615

View attachment 2562616

Those skids tell an incredible story 😱

Ah yes, the dreaded MOAB CEL.

I likewise have experienced this a couple times in my ownership. The latest being stuck in 4LO in Death Valley, fortunately the mode I needed to be in for the next 15 miles after camp and waking up on a really cold wheeling morning. I had my laptop with me and OBD-II dongle but of course as luck would have it, my laptop managed to have drained its batt. After getting through the technical part, resorted to pulling the batt to reset the CELs and re-gain the ability to switch back to 4HI.

I agree it's inexplicable that they mixed what is a minor emissions CEL, with a major function of the vehicle.

I've since replaced my gas cap and will continue to watch this.

Why it is more likely to appear when wheeling - I chalk it up to the variability of corn based fuel blends here in the US, along with US wheeling venues with larger altitude variations. Ethanol based fuels have greater volatility/vapor pressures. Combine that with altitude and exhaust heat saturation under the car at low speeds, creates off-nominal situations for the emissions system.

Good reminder for all that wheel to have OBD-II CEL reset capability.
Intersting, so what has Lexus told you? Like you, I find it not only troubling, but ridiculous Lexus coupled/wrapped what is a minor issue with the CEL messing with suspension functionality. My only thought is they tied them together to get folks into the dealership sooner rather than later. I know that seems altruistic but at this point, what else could it be?

Totally understand the possible correlation with ethanol pressure volatility, but at the time, I was wheeling in CO at much higher elevations without having such a major issue w the canister. To that, I concur, Lexus needs to take a better look at this and actually come up with some sort of solution bc this is in my mind the weakest point of the truck, not the actual AHC.

Skids6.jpg

I exited Rubi under in Low...the last 10ish miles.
Wow I could imagine that must not have been very fun. But after that experience, you must have a lot of confidence that you could pretty much wheel through anything now at any time.

Wow I could imagine that must not have been very fun. But after that experience, you must have a lot of confidence that you could pretty much wheel through anything now at any time.
Considering a 33' BFG is really a 32.5" tire, I'm looking forward to bringing the 80 on 37s this summer. Rubi is fun and def not for the faint of heart. To me, its more mental and understanding lines and trusting your spotter. The 570 is an incredibly capable vehicle, coupled w left foot braking it's a monster. Hell, I was so focused on the trail, I didn't even use my CDL which undoubtedly would've helped.

@Ohnoitsbreaux So the chain of events was CEL+4Lo+Skid -> no 4Lo / diff lock? How did the truck get into AHC L mode in the first place?

And do you think a CEL reset tool / Techstream could have addressed on trail as @TeCKis300 is suggesting?

@Ohnoitsbreaux So the chain of events was CEL+4Lo+Skid -> no 4Lo / diff lock? How did the truck get into AHC L mode in the first place?

And do you think a CEL reset tool / Techstream could have addressed on trail as @TeCKis300 is suggesting?
That is pretty much it- the AHC system lost power and sat in AHC L and would not engage. There was no evidence of fluid on the ground from a busted bulb or anything. I also didn't get a warning til I felt like I was sitting low.

Im really unsure on the CEL reset tool- many say the AHC is the failure point and I disagree. The system itself is robust and from a mechanically speaking line of sight, its great. From a computer programmed stance, it has flaws.

...Unfortunately, until something better than the atrocity of CBI front bumper comes out, it'll be a mall/barn truck...

I didn’t understand this. Are you saying that since the ARB failed to protect the front of your truck you won’t drive it until you find a better replacement front bumper than the CBI option?

I’m super impressed that more than just one 200 entered the Rubicon but even more so now knowing that you intentionally didn’t lift it to test it out.

If you were to take the 200 on that trail again, is there anything you would do differently other than a quick way to reset codes?

I’m looking forward to the TT article about the canister 👍🏼

I didn’t understand this. Are you saying that since the ARB failed to protect the front of your truck you won’t drive it until you find a better replacement front bumper than the CBI option?

I’m super impressed that more than just one 200 entered the Rubicon but even more so now knowing that you intentionally didn’t lift it to test it out.

If you were to take the 200 on that trail again, is there anything you would do differently other than a quick way to reset codes?

I’m looking forward to the TT article about the canister 👍🏼
Sorry, I love the ARB Safari- it was a beast and got me through hundreds of rescues/recoveries in CO as well as Moab Triple and Rubi. I bought a 20 570 and think the CBI bumper looks atrocious and wouldn't handle the type of not only off-roading but trails I typically run. It looks nice for a mall crawler or Baja style of hauling arse on dirt roads.

The 200 is wildly capable and the 570 is right there with it. The other 200 was on 35s and he did well sans snapping his rear axle shaft. We aren't entirely sure when it happened, but I am 100% confident in @SchobTime capabilities as a driver. Pushing the 570 to its limits has its pros and cons. I think the larger issue here is the wheel offset for some folks- Rubi can get really skinny on a few of the pinch points. The 200 is wider than the 80 and then throw on spacers and its inches. Those inches really count but not in a good way lol. With that being said, I would go with as tall and skinny of tire you can realistically fit on your rig and feel comfortable with.

Whoa! 10 miles in low in those circumstances just boggles the mind. I have never had an inkling of an issue on trail, but there have been a few times where it crossed my mind that I would be in real trouble if I had to make it off trail in low mode. Usually it’s just me and the family and I am not sure exactly how I would approach it, but I’m not sure I even have a good enough friend to pull me out 10 miles even if they were with me 😂

Whoa! 10 miles in low in those circumstances just boggles the mind. I have never had an inkling of an issue on trail, but there have been a few times where it crossed my mind that I would be in real trouble if I had to make it off trail in low mode. Usually it’s just me and the family and I am not sure exactly how I would approach it, but I’m not sure I even have a good enough friend to pull me out 10 miles even if they were with me 😂
I'm thankful for them, as well as a bubba rope to help take out some of the shock load. Having to dead tow with tree straps would have been even worse and that's hard to fathom lol

I felt for you man! Can't imagine the thoughts going through your head knowing you had MILES of trail to go as a low rider. Kudos to you for sucking it up and making it out. Those skid pics are crazy, but don't surprise me at all after seeing and hearing you blaze through some of those sections.

My take on Rubi and the 200 is I just wouldn't do it unless you really don't care about possible body damage. You'll almost certainly get some. Making it through isn't the issue, it's what you'll have left when you exit. I took my 80 on this trip, and didn't have problems, but did rip a couple flares off so even a great Rubi platform isn't necessarily going to emerge damage free. Could be I just suck at driving though :p

I felt for you man! Can't imagine the thoughts going through your head knowing you had MILES of trail to go as a low rider. Kudos to you for sucking it up and making it out. Those skid pics are crazy, but don't surprise me at all after seeing and hearing you blaze through some of those sections.

My take on Rubi and the 200 is I just wouldn't do it unless you really don't care about possible body damage. You'll almost certainly get some. Making it through isn't the issue, it's what you'll have left when you exit. I took my 80 on this trip, and didn't have problems, but did rip a couple flares off so even a great Rubi platform isn't necessarily going to emerge damage free. Could be I just suck at driving though :p
Trust me, having you there as mental support helped tremendously! Plus, I was looking forward to cracking more beers! I think we were a couple cases short HAHA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom