Official FRIDGE Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It did great. I camped with it on eco mode all week running of a single optima yellow top 34/78 and I was able to bring all my food back home.

I wheeled for 4 days with that thing in the back, zero issues

EDA12774-B7C6-4B5B-B80B-AE1187A31DA9.jpeg

7B88B85B-3714-41C9-87E1-3AD98E03B888.jpeg

how many days are you getting out of your jackery powering the fridge? is it a 500?
I have a Jackery 300 and solar panels. I’m running fridge off Jackery which is connected to cars 12v socket and run fridge at 35 degrees. Running off Jackery alone I would estimate I can get about 20hrs.

I have a Jackery 300 and solar panels. I’m running fridge off Jackery which is connected to cars 12v socket and run fridge at 35 degrees. Running off Jackery alone I would estimate I can get about 20hrs.
i have a Jackery 240, i was expecting no more than 4-8 hrs alone on the fridge. Maybe it will last longer per your estimate.

Lots of ICECO in here. Everyone happy?

I was squarely in the "I'll be fine with my RTIC cooler" camp, but I'm really tired of its lackluster performance, constant need for ice re-ups (even on short trips), and the mess it makes. Starting to look hard at some alternatives. Current Ironman sale has their 65L dual-zone pretty enticing. Looks to effectively be an Indel B?

Worried about efficiency and battery drain. Only running my single battery, so assuming an alternative source like a Jackery would be ideal. Interested why people have gone this route instead of a dedicated auxiliary battery?

i have a Jackery 240, i was expecting no more than 4-8 hrs alone on the fridge. Maybe it will last longer per your estimate.
Well, just based on math a 300 should get about 18 hrs. So…

Iceco VL45 fridge draws at a rate of 45 watts (3.7 amps @ 12V DC) while actively running. Since fridges tend to only run about 1/3 of the time; we can estimate an average rate of 15 watts over time. Let's assume a 90% efficiency for the 12V DC regulated output on the Jackery. See below for hypothetical run-time comparison.

Jackery Explorer 300 ----- (293 Wh * .90) / 15 watt device = 17.6 hours of effective run-time.

Jackery Explorer 500 ----- (518 Wh * .90) / 15 watt device = 31.1 hours (1.3 days) of effective run-time.

Jackery Explorer 1000 --- (1,002 Wh * .90) / 15 watt device = 60.1 hours (2.5 days) of effective run-time.

Jackery Explorer 1500 --- (1,488 Wh * .90) / 15 watt device = 89.3 hours (3.7 days) of effective run-time.

Lots of ICECO in here. Everyone happy?

I was squarely in the "I'll be fine with my RTIC cooler" camp, but I'm really tired of its lackluster performance, constant need for ice re-ups (even on short trips), and the mess it makes. Starting to look hard at some alternatives. Current Ironman sale has their 65L dual-zone pretty enticing. Looks to effectively be an Indel B?

Worried about efficiency and battery drain. Only running my single battery, so assuming an alternative source like a Jackery would be ideal. Interested why people have gone this route instead of a dedicated auxiliary battery?
I have an ICECO VL 60 (single zone) and am extremely happy with it. I bought it off a group buy orchestrated by @SharpeCat .
Here‘s my routine…I pre-chill it at home, using 120VAC. Once cooled (36*), I load all my items (from my kitchen fridge) into it. Maintaining cold thermal mass is what you want.
While underway to my destination, I use a dedicated 12v port installed in the rear cargo area to keep the ICECO cold.
Once at camp, I connect the ICECO to a Jackery 240 . I have 2 of these, and I rotate them out, charging the depleted one with solar (Rockpals 60w), while the fresh Jackery is working.
This works beautifully (as long as I have sun for the solar panel), and I can get about 12-18 hours from each Jackery depending on ambient air temps.
And that’s the biggie…if it’s hot out, keep your fridge in the shade (and no insulated cover!). If it’s cool or dark, the Jackery will last much longer.

I have an ICECO VL 60 (single zone) and am extremely happy with it. I bought it off a group buy orchestrated by @SharpeCat .
Here‘s my routine…I pre-chill it at home, using 120VAC. Once cooled (36*), I load all my items (from my kitchen fridge) into it. Maintaining cold thermal mass is what you want.
While underway to my destination, I use a dedicated 12v port installed in the rear cargo area to keep the ICECO cold.
Once at camp, I connect the ICECO to a Jackery 240 . I have 2 of these, and I rotate them out, charging the depleted one with solar (Rockpals 60w), while the fresh Jackery is working.
This works beautifully (as long as I have sun for the solar panel), and I can get about 12-18 hours from each Jackery depending on ambient air temps.
And that’s the biggie…if it’s hot out, keep your fridge in the shade (and no insulated cover!). If it’s cool or dark, the Jackery will last much longer.
i have a Jackery 240 as well. How long does it take for the 60W solar panel to fully charge the Jackery 240?

Why no insulated cover?

i have a Jackery 240 as well. How long does it take for the 60W solar panel to fully charge the Jackery 240?
When in full summer sun, I can go from 30% to 100% in 4-5 hours. The trick is to keep orienting the panels to get maximum sun exposure (IE as perpendicular to the sunlight as possible). Requires lots of moving…not hard, just needs to be done.
A 100watt panel would reduce that to about 3 hours.

Why no insulated cover?
My experience has been that the insulated cover keeps in more heat that it guards against.
As long as the metal skin isn’t in direct sun, it radiates heat that would otherwise be captured by the cover.
I have an ICECO cover for my fridge, but am running more efficiently now that I don’t use it.
YMMV…

My experience has been that the insulated cover keeps in more heat that it guards against.
As long as the metal skin isn’t in direct sun, it radiates heat that would otherwise be captured by the cover.
I have an ICECO cover for my fridge, but am running more efficiently now that I don’t use it.
YMMV…

Interesting. How did you determine that you are running more efficiently?

I was under the impression the heat is removed from the refrigeration thermodynamic cycle and is rejected from the vents on the back and sides, which is not blocked by the insulation cover. The cover simply increases the insulation R-Value of the fridge walls, and reduce heat conduction across the walls.

Last edited:
Interesting. How did you determine that you are running more efficiently?

I was under the impression most of the heat rejection from the refrigeration thermodynamic cycle is from the vents on the back and sides, which is not blocked by the insulation cover. The insulation cover lowers heat transfer (in both directions) across the refrigerator walls.
Take this for exactly what you paid for it…
Not all vented hot air escapes from the vents…some rises immediately upon exiting the vent (its not propelled with much authority) and stays trapped against the metal box.
Additionally, once the insulated cover heats up, from either the inside (vented air) or the outside (sun exposure), it retains that heat because it’s, well… insulated.
I determined this pretty easily…my Jackery’s drain faster with the cover on than they do without.
Again, YMMV

Does anyone that has a single zone wish they went with a dual?

Few questions - I like the approach.

What did you use for a dedicated 12V port? Something already in place or from scratch?

Considering a similar approach as you, but would need a from scratch power supply with nothing currently in place in the 80.

Do you charge the Jackery from the truck while driving or only solar?

Why not go for the single 500? No option to charge up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom