off-idle rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having trouble tracking down a noise that I've had for a couple of weeks now. I seems to be coming from the right side of the vehicle somewhere between the front and middle. It only happens at low rpms and light load, although not at idle. If I coast it goes away, but if i press the accelerator a small amount it can be heard. Once I get on it a little it seems to go away. It is only noticible from inside at very slow speed, but i can definitely hear it when i pass a parked car or something. Also, if I brake torque to about 1000 rpm i can hear it. The cats are solid as I just had them out last month. I don't have a heat shield around them either. Other heat shields appear to be intact. It doesn't sound like its coming from inside the muffler but a guess its a possibility. Anyone have any ideas?
thanks, aaron

yup, check the clamps that hold down the exhaust heat shields just in front of the cats.

i've tried that and i don't think its coming from those shields. The muffler is a possibility, so i think i may get it replaced. It is a cheap aftermarket piece and is starting to rust through around the seams (altough its not leaking yet) so i might as well try that. I just don't get why it doesn't do the same thing at higher rpm's if it is the muffler. thanks, aaron

no. this is metallic. like something rattling in a can.

Aaron,
Follow Todd's advice, bang on the exhaust and see what is rattling. It's probably a shield as you've heard.
-B-

I've got the same thing, a rattle, doesn't sound like exhaust, and it is not "pinging", I get it on light load or just off throttle, not at idle or under load. Sounds like it's coming from the engine area. Could it be valves need adjusting?

[quote author=aaron_fzj link=board=2;threadid=6587;start=msg53540#msg53540 date=1066791275]
no. this is metallic. like something rattling in a can.
[/quote]

While not definitive, the sound of "something rattling in a can" is a classic symptom of a failing automatic transmission torque converter. :(

Rich

Same issue here, only mine is more a vibration I've had for sometime now. Does it around 1200-2000 rpms. This is moving and powerbraking. Same deal as the prev guys, it goes away once you get above the rpms. I've had the tranny check, ok. I even changed the tranny mount myself (BIG LONG SHOT) which didn't do a bit of difference of course. :slap:I've crawled under mine several times banging and pulling stuff to see where it maybe coming from but came up empty. The bonus to this is I get a nice back massage if I need it :D I've just decided to deal with it until something breaks.

:beer: Mark

like i said, i'm going to replace the muffler later this week. I can't recreate that noise by banging on anything, but it does seem like there may be something loose in the muffler when i hit it. no, its not the valves, mine were at least in spec a few months ago, and they make less noise as the wear anyways.
thanks, aaron

Seems to be a common problem on our 80's. Can somebody from the old-timers advise what the problem is????? I think it would help many members. :eek:

Mike

[quote author=Asiarider link=board=2;threadid=6587;start=msg53829#msg53829 date=1066851270]
Can somebody from the old-timers advise what the problem is?????
[/quote]

That's no way to get help from a more experienced ::) gentleman.

A short time back I had a small rock trapped between the upper cat shield and the heatshield bolted to the RH rocker. It made a very nasty noise off-and-on. I could not get it to rattle when I pounded on the heat shields. I eventually saw it and was able to pry it out.

D-

(brief thread hi-jack)

Asia-Mike,
When you get a chance, post some detailed "up-close" pics of your non-US options in a new thread.

For instance:
The cool box, the winch, the winch controls (dash?) the front fogs, and the rear A/C. I would also like to see detailed pics of your dash.

Thanks,
-B-

[quote author=aaron_fzj link=board=2;threadid=6587;start=msg53476#msg53476 date=1066781269]
I am having trouble tracking down a noise that I've had for a couple of weeks now. ... if I brake torque to about 1000 rpm i can hear it. [/quote]

You could always put the truck on a lift or 4 jack stands and have somebody brake torque while you are underneath listening for the source. Don't think I would volunteer to do so while the wheels are on the ground.

I've noticed the same vibration on a test drive ('97 60k miles) and in mine ('96 100k ) in the same RPM range. I assumed this was normal!

Rich-

I tried that at my buddies shop. Put it up (with me in it) and power braked while he checked stuff. Still did it of course. Nothing...he didn't think it was the T converter but maybe something with the exhaust system (brackets or such). If its normal fine, I can deal with it (love my 80), if its not then I need to ship it to Junk or heck Christo is just 7hrs from me ::)

Cheers! Mark

This is the noise I'm trying to track down. It is like a combination of the noise of shaking a spray paint can, or hocking up a "loogie"...

Its only present under a tiny bit of load...

Has anyone ever tracked down this weird noise? It disappears in neutral, so I doubt it has anything to do with the exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom