OEM oil filter for 3B diesel engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Apologies for going over old ground but after a couple of hours of searching (at slow connection speed) I haven't really found the answers I was looking for.

I have just got my hands on an Aussie BJ42 and want to change the fluids. I gave the oil filter part number 15600-41010 to my local garage, and Toyota sent them a supposedly updated part 90915-YZZJ4. One advert on ebay says this is a replacement for 90915-20004.

Other threads suggest that 90915-YZZD3 is the correct replacement.

CruiserParts.net has 90915-TD004 as a replacement Oil Filter B, 2B, 3B. LARGE Filter [15600-41010 Now 15600-TD004] - $14.99 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

At the moment it has a Motorcraft AFL 1 MC which seems to be for an Aussie Ford Falcon.

My brain is starting to frazzle :crybaby:

According to toyodiy, for an Oz BJ42 it's:
15600-41010

But indeed they may have updated the number. I'd get them direct from toyota dealer, that's the safest choice. And if you shop with them often enough, you may get a discount like I did.

Apologies for going over old ground but after a couple of hours of searching (at slow connection speed) I haven't really found the answers I was looking for.

I have just got my hands on an Aussie BJ42 and want to change the fluids. I gave the oil filter part number 15600-41010 to my local garage, and Toyota sent them a supposedly updated part 90915-YZZJ4. One advert on ebay says this is a replacement for 90915-20004.

Other threads suggest that 90915-YZZD3 is the correct replacement.

CruiserParts.net has 90915-TD004 as a replacement Oil Filter B, 2B, 3B. LARGE Filter [15600-41010 Now 15600-TD004] - $14.99 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

At the moment it has a Motorcraft AFL 1 MC which seems to be for an Aussie Ford Falcon.

My brain is starting to frazzle :crybaby:

What country/market are you in sir?

I'm in the UK, where most Toyota dealers will never have heard of a BJ42. The reason I get my local garage to order the parts is that the Toyota dealer will deliver to him, saving me a 2 hour round trip, which is plenty long enough just to get a filter. I gave him the correct number but it has been superseded apparently.

I didn't realise it was going to be so difficult, otherwise I would have had a chat with my other 'local' dealer who is very helpful and does give me a discount.

My question is whether I should be getting a 90915-YZZD3 or 90915-TD004 or just using the 90915-YZZJ4 that i got. It amazes me how many different filters there can be for carrying out a fairly simple function. I presume there is a reason…….

Toyota has localization of parts based on cost/need/supply and many other support agreements regionally worldwide.

All of the oil filters are manufactured by Denso worldwide for Toyota.

The correct super session for most markets of the original 15600-41010 is to a 90915-YZZD3. Other markets (SE ASIA for example) have other super sessions of this part number.

That said, if you want the correct factory filter, they are still available out of the Mothership, though quite pricey for most people whom are not purists.

Thanks for explaining that. I will run some numbers past my parts guy and see what he says.

I notice that there is some discussion elsewhere about the 90915-YZZD3 being smaller than the 15600-41010. cruiserparts.net claims the 90915-TD004 is the same as the original large filter. I don't know if the size has any implications for performance.

There are different ideas about "size", per se, in all areas of human endeavor and activity. ;)

The fact that Toyota engineers thought that by going to a smaller oil filter was ok on many diesel and 6/8 cylinder applications to me means that two things occurred:

1. Save money by having less material to deal with: small vs. large.

2. Filtration elements have changed drastically since original 15600-41010 filter was introduced almost 40 years ago with the 2F engine in 1975.

3. Toyota is interested in doing more with less cost. Cheaper to manufacture in Thailand vs. Denso in Nagoya.

4. The filter itself might have gotten smaller but I can easily assume the element inside is just as quality as the bigger filter. Or at least close enough for the micron-level issues that we are dealing with when talking about oil filters.

:meh:

If you are a purist, get the real Japanese iteration out of Japan.

If you are ok trusting Toyota engineers, get the -YZZD3 and be done with it.

hi swobound , wix 51515 , and even better 51515xp synteq will fit , wix 51452 , donaldson p550008 or better P169071-SYNTEQ

there are a lot of filter who fit 3b engine , FT4790 fiaam , r65 tecnocar ... a lot... one of the world's most popular filters

classic filter for old perkins 4 cylinder and old audi/volkswagen diesel engine , cat equipment , a lot of farm tractors.....

mid '80 land rover 90 four cylinder atmopheric diesel use this filter.

I forgot : if you find syntetic version is better , but paper version is good enough....

syntetic version like wix 51515xp or Others have more efficency ( like 99% at 20 micron)

Thanks beno and tornio for your advice. I had a look at www.wixeurope.com and they give the part number as WL7096 for the 3B engine, but if you enter 51515xp it does give TLC 71-96. I will look into it as a possibility, although I would like to hear what my parts guy says about OEM.

Ryco Z9 is the one I use on mine here in oz, another one for you to cross reference. From memory the ryco website gives sizes as well. One of the most common here, used on the older ford falcon 6 cyl. motors

Thanks beno and tornio for your advice. I had a look at www.wixeurope.com and they give the part number as WL7096 for the 3B engine, but if you enter 51515xp it does give TLC 71-96. I will look into it as a possibility, although I would like to hear what my parts guy says about OEM.

yes snowbound , Wix is changing its filters numbering starting from european factory (one of the big is in poland) wl7096 is the same of 51515

if you try wix.com you can see the "old" numbering

and yes 51515xp application : tlc71-96 means that will fit on most of the land cruiser ( tlc = Toyota land cruiser )

B , 3B , 2B , H , 2H , 2.4l , AND HZ ENGINE USE THIS FILTER , and some of gasoline engine also , a friend of mine has an imported (from USA) Toyota sr pick up with 3 liter gasoline engine with this filter ....

tread 3/4-16 by pass valve and anti-drain valve ( but b and 3b doesn't need anti-drain valve ) gasket diam. ext 72mm height 135
but some manifactures made height 130 ,140 or 145

anyway every hd filter with these measures and valve will fit all right. if you find use a syntetic but not worry a good brand filter of paper is good enough...

CIAO

snowbound , anyway a wix dealer should have the possibility to order a syntetic version of 51515 from USA because in europe they only made a paper version

Thanks for all the good information. I spoke to one of my local Toyota parts departments and they say the 90915-YZZD3 isn't on their system. 90915-YZZJ4 is the correct one ( in the UK at least) according to the guy that had worked there for 17 years. As I have 2 of those that should keep me going for a bit.

IMG_20150831_182524716.jpg

Everything is these days.......

... no no for our market wix doesn't make in china..... until now ...

if you buy WL SERIE the factory is in GOSTYN , POLAND (near germany) , the same factory who make some original mercedes - audi - volkswagen filter and the air filter of porsche macan... instead if you buy 51xxx series the factories are somewhere in USA and some in mexico

some idraulic filter and fuel filter are made in South africa... I don't recall every factory now.....

I saw thousand of wix filters , no one from china until now.....

ciao

snowbound , let me say : I'm not forcing you buying wix , i posted alot of cross references , I speak about wix only because i know it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom