OEM Lockers and the rear actuator vent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Broski

I love Wheelin my 80
SILVER Star
Threads
So I'm a big fan of the OEM lockers but over the 7 years of owner ship I have had a few issues with the rear locker. The problem seems to be water getting in the actuator.
This what I found the first time I looked into it the O-ring was bad so I assumed that's how the water was getting in.
1667613365769.png

Believe or not it still work like this just not on cue like one need it two.
1667613426075.png

So I got to work cleaning it up and used one of Joey's rebuild kits.
1667613683570.png

1667613731189.png

Put it all back together and all was good again for a few years tell it started acting up again. So I pulled it apart and it was corroded again.
Frustrated with the situation I purchased a brand new actuator and I thought my issues were behind me. The locker seem to be working better and faster then it ever had and I was happy :cool:
I cleaned the old one up again tested it and put in the new box and saved it for a spare.
Fast forward to my Fordyce creek run earlier this year I tested the lockers be for the trip like I always do and they were working fine.
I get to the first obstacle on the trail and I cant get the rear axle to lock up. so I manually lock it ( can't do that with other lockers) and ran the hole trail with the rear axle locked. at the end of the run I manually unlock it and Low and behold it's working again🤔
It worked perfect for the SAS run and and tell just a few week ago. I have A Johnson valley run coming up and I want it working.
So I open it up again and I find this😳
1667615634026.png

Not as bad as the first time, but this is only two years old 😡
Now I'm determined to figure out how the water is getting in there !! So I post up on my build thread asking if anyone knows where the vent terminates.
I get a call from a friend telling me he had the same issue and the water is getting through the vent that terminates at the driver side rear wheel just above the frame.
1667616277008.png

Sure enough there it is. This means ever time I pressure wash the truck water is getting in there, If it's raining water off the tire is getting in there.
I believe that it's the main issue with the rear locker actuator getting corroded and causing problems.
I have extended it up into the rear drivers quarter panel by the Jack.
If you have a locked 80 add it to your to do list ;)

Last edited:
I extended all the diff lock breathers up higher together with those for the axles and transmission for the same reason. All the vents let water in.

Can I ask, how do you manually lock and unlock the diff lock?

Can I ask, how do you manually lock and unlock the diff lock?
Jack up one rear tire, remove the cover for the locker indicator light mechanism.
Then remove the one bolt in the collar, using a screwdriver or a pry bar gently apply pressure towards the third member while someone rotates the tire when the splines line up correctly the collar will slide over.
Then put the bolt back in it won't be through the collar but behind it and will keep the collar from backing off.
Do the reverse to unlock.

@Broski @bug616 , do either of you guys have pictures of how you ran these, what you used etc..?

Jack up one rear tire, remove the cover for the locker indicator light mechanism.
Then remove the one bolt in the collar, using a screwdriver or a pry bar gently apply pressure towards the third member while someone rotates the tire when the splines line up correctly the collar will slide over.
Then put the bolt back in it won't be through the collar but behind it and will keep the collar from backing off.
Do the reverse to unlock.
Easy peasy

This is what I used, It slides over the OEM tube perfectly. Once you push them together they don't want to come apart. nice airtight fit ;)
1667702875596.png

Picked it up at the local Ace hardware. I taped into the OEM tube right above the rear axle. Then sleeved it with quarter inch wire loom.
1667703233785.png

Drilled a hole sized for a grommet and pulled it into the drivers side quarter panel.
1667703919535.png

Tied it off inside the Panel done.
1667703526976.png

That all good and I addressed that years ago ;)
This is about The actuator breather like the thread title says:doh:

Cheers
Broski
Had the wrong link (that one was 20+ yrs ago :)

The difflock actuator link of 15+ yrs ago :)

cheers,
george.

Had the wrong link (that one was 20+ yrs ago :)

The difflock actuator link of 15+ yrs ago :)

cheers,
george.
Clearly the later models have a better routing as my 94 rear actuator breather ended above the frame at the center of the drivers side rear tire like I picture in my post.
I guess you didn't take the time to read it.
So just consider this a updated thread ;)

Cheers
Broski

No, I did read it and figured you had an older and lesser model year, j/k

Cheers,
George

Last edited:
No, I did read it and figured you had an older and lesser model year, j/k

Cheers,
George
So in other words your just here to muck up the thread.

I only posted to help other out and only showed what I did because other asked. If you would have read the post you would have seen that.

Please take you horns elsewhere.

Last edited:
Seriously, I'm here to point out that the newer 80's have the breathers pretty high up already. So, folk that see this thread can figure out what they're facing based on model year. Clearly toyota at some point figured out to lengthen the breathers OR if you aren't the original owner, a PO may have fiddled with things.

You need to cool down a little.

cheers,
george.

Seriously, I'm here to point out that the newer 80's have the breathers pretty high up already. So, folk that see this thread can figure out what they're facing based on model year. Clearly toyota at some point figured out to lengthen the breathers OR if you aren't the original owner, a PO may have fiddled with things.

You need to cool down a little.

cheers,
george.
Seriously
If you would have stated your intention in your first post all the sh*t could have been avoided.
And I don’t have a JK
Again I only posted to help other’s!!

Last edited:
This is what I used, It slides over the OEM tube perfectly. Once you push them together they don't want to come apart. nice airtight fit ;) View attachment 3160514
Picked it up at the local Ace hardware. I taped into the OEM tube right above the rear axle. Then sleeved it with quarter inch wire loom.
View attachment 3160515
Drilled a hole sized for a grommet and pulled it into the drivers side quarter panel.
View attachment 3160521

Tied it off inside the Panel done.
View attachment 3160520
Awesome, exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom