OEM Keys for 1979 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know what an OEM ignition / ambulance door key looked like for a 1979 FJ40? Were they all metal or was the ambulance door key metal and the ignition / gas door key coated with black plastic? Any pics would be appreciated as well as vendors who sell them - they have been discontinued by Toyota from what I understand.

Yes, good stuff. Matt is a one man operation, so shipping and communication can take a few extra days, but I've been happy with all my transactions. Actually just received a package from him yesterday, including a new lock & key for my `69 40.

The 'Teq' NOS (ignition) key that Matt at Vintage Teq sells is worth every penny, to me.

For a while there, I had trouble getting keys cut for my Land Cruiser and Nissan with accuracy, so I was left with a pile of worthless keys that I had on the bench. The Teq key and its later 'TOYOTA' key were a couple of them.

The 'Teq' key got the bend it until I break it test, as my original OEM ('Teq') key had a mild bend it it when I bought the truck. The 'Teq' key took like seven bends to break, the 'TOYOTA' key was about as good as my OEM Nissan, and generic blanks that the locksmith provided - about two bends.

The 'Teq' NOS (ignition) key that Matt at Vintage Teq sells is worth every penny, to me.

For a while there, I had trouble getting keys cut for my Land Cruiser and Nissan with accuracy, so I was left with a pile of worthless keys that I had on the bench. The Teq key and its later 'TOYOTA' key were a couple of them.

The 'Teq' key got the bend it until I break it test, as my original OEM ('Teq') key had a mild bend it it when I bought the truck. The 'Teq' key took like seven bends to break, the 'TOYOTA' key was about as good as my OEM Nissan, and generic blanks that the locksmith provided - about two bends.
Do you have any pictures of your original key? What year FJ40 do you have?

Do you have any pictures of your original key? What year FJ40 do you have?
'75 40. No pics of the original key, it is buried under a landmine next to Forest Fenn's sophmore treasure cache, right now. Looks like this, but without a whole lot of chrome plating, and a slight bend. The key codes on the keys shouldn't be made available publicly, anyway. I'm using two of these, right now, they are okay, but not ideal.

I wasted a ton of time and money on blanks, shipping, and locksmiths, until I found the right one, so it might be best getting the updated 'TOYOTA' blank just for a test-run until you are satisfied with the results, then do the NOS Teq blank.

Original 1975
And one of matts.

20210829_193208.jpg

20210829_193341.jpg

Does anyone know what an OEM ignition / ambulance door key looked like for a 1979 FJ40? Were they all metal or was the ambulance door key metal and the ignition / gas door key coated with black plastic? Any pics would be appreciated as well as vendors who sell them - they have been discontinued by Toyota from what I understand.

lotz of questions 🤔

=

lotz of photos :D

Ambulance Rear Door Key & Lock assy.

280774DF-DBFC-417C-B8CB-9D62582F670B - Copy.jpeg

OPTIONAL BLACK TOP Master key

current style first photo

Fist Gen. Black Top 2nd photo NOS / DISC/ NLA ........

1 - Copy.JPG

F31755B4-C2A1-4E9D-938A-2D77243CA659.jpeg

SILVER ALL METAL TOP Current one top photo ,

NOS 2nd Photo

WALLET KEY NOS 3rd photo

1.2 - Copy.jpg

teq keys.jpg
DSCN6554.JPG

Looks like you've got me covered no matter what the year! Now, the $100,000 question: Which keys (ignition and ambulance door) are 'correct' for a 1979 FJ40?

These should be correct, I think if it is the original original it had key numbers engraved on the master key.

The 40 is long gone, but still have these lying around in case we can reunite!
A846577F-ECE7-4DF9-8802-AD9249CB8B0D.jpeg
DBE2F953-6A81-489E-A562-1A0080F24667.jpeg

Rear Abulance Door OEM Lock kits come with 2 new OEM keys , they are at a Better Cost price point then making and cutting 2 blanks for the single sided types ...

144-100A-2-big - Copy.jpg

144-100-cut-away-big - Copy (2).jpg

144keyprofile.jpg

GlowController.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom