Oem capstan winch in J4/J5 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I failed to recognize the shaft and the capstan drum operate continually whlie the PTO is engaged, while the inner drum is controlled by the lever.:confused:

Those helmet-less injuries are beginning to catch up with me

If you've never seen the PTO you don't see that the spool can spin loose on the shaft. The knob had nothing to do with the capstain drum. It operates a collar that locks the cable drum to the shaft. That is the way you keep all the time except when free wheeling cable out. Otherwise the drum would turn and the cable would start to unwind. The little piece you see on the brace next to the capstain drum does nothing. It's just the same brace as next to the cable drum. The hole is where the arm that engages the collar on the drum pivits off of. That's part of the reason I think this was never offered as a option. If it was a Toyota option they wouldn't have bothered to weld that piece on the end brace. That and the fact that is doesn't have the Toyota hook and chain on the end of the cable.

This wouldn't really be hard to do. All you would need is a longer shaft and capstain drum mounted on the end. Then just use another end brace like the one next to the cable drum.:cheers:

I have the whole catalog, that is page one. I think I got it from LandPimp or JohnnyC?

Your catalog must have been a sales flyer?

I've got that flyer around somewhere too. I picked it up at Hickey factory in Southern CA back in 1974 or 1975.:cheers:

I have never operated one like that. The only Capstain winch I used was on the front bumper of an old Edison 6x6 truck. It was PTO driven.

If you've never seen the PTO you don't see that the spool can spin loose on the shaft. The knob had nothing to do with the capstain drum. It operates a collar that locks the cable drum to the shaft. That is the way you keep all the time except when free wheeling cable out. Otherwise the drum would turn and the cable would start to unwind. The little piece you see on the brace next to the capstain drum does nothing. It's just the same brace as next to the cable drum. The hole is where the arm that engages the collar on the drum pivits off of. That's part of the reason I think this was never offered as a option. If it was a Toyota option they wouldn't have bothered to weld that piece on the end brace. That and the fact that is doesn't have the Toyota hook and chain on the end of the cable.

This wouldn't really be hard to do. All you would need is a longer shaft and capstain drum mounted on the end. Then just use another end brace like the one next to the cable drum.:cheers:

Just looking that the picture. I would think the shaft on the left of the cable drum would turn whenever the PTO was engaged. This would turn the Capstain pulley. To actually engage the cable winch spool, you move the lever over and it couples the drive shaft to the cable winch spool.

Isn't that what I said in post 16:confused:

This set would work fine. Capstain drum would turn anytime the PTO is engaged. Wouldn't hurt anything if there's no rope around it. The winch spool only turns when engaged with the lever. So they could each be worked independently. The capstain drum is mounted to the end of the main shaft of the winch that turns all the time. that lever engages and disengages the spool so it can be free wheel out. So if you disengage it you can use the capstain by itself or use the winch and with nothing around the captain drum it not going to be doing anything except turning around.

Capstan winches are fairly common here on later cruisers. usually on ex government vehicles. Electric company's also use them when repairing power lines. I Have also seen a couple electric company hilux's with them fitted

Just a note on the capstan style. It would be handy for purposes other than recovering the vehicle it is connected too. Electricians use a similar setup for pulling wire into conduits. I've been involved with many pulls over a thousand feet. With that much cable you simply cannot keep winding the rope onto a spool. generally tuggers have a pulley for the loose end of the rope to pass around so the operator can stand safely to the side of the pull. Further than would be allowed by an electric winch remote.

Combined with synthetic line I think it would be the hot setup for winching stuff to the vehicle, especially the vertical one which could pull all day at any angle to the front of the vehicle. Self recovery - not so hot. :doh:

This one was a little large for the Cruiser, still looking for one a "little" smaller. Garwood 30k double capstan. I'm liking that Toyota one. :cool:
IMG_1025.jpg

With that Mother of all Winches you could try this:

Autoblog

i have a powered capstan winch for pulling cable thru pipes. they are quite safe. you stand back at a 90 degree angle from the pull, there is a rope guide. you can stand as far back as you want.

not only that, but you can control speed and line tension with a tug.

the only disadvantage to a cap on truck, is having to carry the rope. if someone made a 12v 8000lb one i could put on my cruisers, id ditch my 8274's in a heartbeat.

i have a powered capstan winch for pulling cable thru pipes. they are quite safe. you stand back at a 90 degree angle from the pull, there is a rope guide. you can stand as far back as you want.

not only that, but you can control speed and line tension with a tug.

the only disadvantage to a cap on truck, is having to carry the rope. if someone made a 12v 8000lb one i could put on my cruisers, id ditch my 8274's in a heartbeat.

The Fairey I posted a photo of is supposed to be good for 3000lb and with a steel rather than brass shear pin supposedly 10000lb, that seems a lot of bending monent on the bearing. Talking to a winch supplier that cautioned using synthetic rope because it can be damaged easily by heat and needs a smooth drum.

Hydraulic drive would seem a good solution. Bloom Manufacturing Inc. - Hydraulic Capstan Winches - Series 1400

The Fairey I posted a photo of is supposed to be good for 3000lb and with a steel rather than brass shear pin supposedly 10000lb, that seems a lot of bending monent on the bearing. Talking to a winch supplier that cautioned using synthetic rope because it can be damaged easily by heat and needs a smooth drum.

Hydraulic drive would seem a good solution. Bloom Manufacturing Inc. - Hydraulic Capstan Winches - Series 1400

my greenlee is good for 8000 pounds. id love to find a cheap broken one at auction so i could rip it down and convert it. suckers hold their value though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom