OE Snorkel Now Available in the US (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

b/c the oe snorkel has a bulbous top, no matter which way it's facing, you can easily snag it on a branch no? nice thing 'bout the safari is you can turn it back and a tree branch can just brush up and over...unless it's easily replaceable by something similar? (guess same goes for a donaldson prefilter)...but pardon me, i'm new to the snorkel world....:D

b/c the oe snorkel has a bulbous top, no matter which way it's facing, you can easily snag it on a branch no? nice thing 'bout the safari is you can turn it back and a tree branch can just brush up and over...unless it's easily replaceable by something similar? (guess same goes for a donaldson prefilter)...but pardon me, i'm new to the snorkel world....:D
I agree. It's cool, just because it's OEM. Likewise, it's uncool because its, well.......ugly (Just MY opinion, of course)

i'm diggin the OEM factor too tho, but i guess it's an easy fix (now inside the bulbous thing, is also it's own prefilter?) if so, replace with a 90 degree turn PVC pipe/elbow that you can turn whichever way, ala safari...? or i keep seeing these lower profile tips that are angled/snug against the winshield/facing forward for more "ram" air effect...? seen them i guess on the newer 100/200 series LC's with snorks..

update for the canadians that were curious about availability. i called downtown toyota parts guy and he said that he can pretty much get all the parts except for the precleaner/prefilter (but i guess with that we can jimmy something up, or do a donaldson to fit??). BUT, the cost is a wee bit pricey...quickly going over the phone (and he was busy so he was just rhyming off what he can get and cost):

17730-17020 Precleaner
53707-60010 Bracket
53773-60010 Bracket
53207-60041 Duct
52853-60010 Bracket
53208-60010 Duct
53209-60030 Duct
52805-60011 Bracket
96111-10880 Clamp
90269-06006 Rivets

(these dont exactly line up, but you get the idea)
-no precleaner
- bracket $54
- cooler duct $251 (dayum!)
- another bracket $7
- another duct $131
- another duct $77
- another bracket $14
- clamp $117.50
- rivets
(all in CAN funds)

. .. and i wont even bother adding them up, doh!

update for the canadians that were curious about availability. i called downtown toyota parts guy and he said that he can pretty much get all the parts except for the precleaner/prefilter (but i guess with that we can jimmy something up, or do a donaldson to fit??). BUT, the cost is a wee bit pricey...quickly going over the phone (and he was busy so he was just rhyming off what he can get and cost):

17730-17020 Precleaner
53707-60010 Bracket
53773-60010 Bracket
53207-60041 Duct
52853-60010 Bracket
53208-60010 Duct
53209-60030 Duct
52805-60011 Bracket
96111-10880 Clamp
90269-06006 Rivets

(these dont exactly line up, but you get the idea)
-no precleaner
- bracket $54
- cooler duct $251 (dayum!)
- another bracket $7
- another duct $131
- another duct $77
- another bracket $14
- clamp $117.50
- rivets
(all in CAN funds)

. .. and i wont even bother adding them up, doh!

Something's gotta be wrong with their system/prices!

$54 for the brackets and $117.50 for the clamps??? :eek: :doh: :oops:

I think what makes the OEM stand out is the pre-cleaner, so you'd probably want to get the OEM one if you're going through all the trouble of getting (and installing) one, JMHO.

yeah just noticed that. i cut and pasted the #'s and emailed it to him, he then checked each one and just said it (cost) out loud over the phone, and he was rushed...so the price/part# may have just been mixed up...still...

List prices in the states:

17730-17020 Precleaner 73.70
53707-60010 Bracket 30.72
53773-60010 Bracket 15.44
53207-60041 Duct 138.61
52853-60010 Bracket 6.10
53208-60010 Duct 74.39
53209-60030 Duct 40.79
52805-60011 Bracket 11.90
96111-10880 Clamp 13.78
90269-06006 Rivets 2.85

U.S. prices are at least half of the Canadian dealer prices.
Same part#'s, same box. Air filter is $68.00 here.
That's why we like Dan.
Even with shipping, exchange rate, and brokerage charges, my last order was half the Canadian dealer price.
I've shown my neighbourhood toyota parts guy my invoice and he can't explain the huge gap in prices.

Someone was able to pull off that is now virtually impossible which is to get TMS USA to load part numbers that were not originally intended for this market. This used to be a lot easier than it is now and I doff my cap to whoever pulled it off.

On the other hand the OEM snork is very "busy" and more difficult to install in addition to being not as well sealed.

On the other other hand, we have been known to seek OEM stuff like this because it's OEM as opposed to making sense.

How many hands you got, Dan? :lol:

So are these quoted prices along the same lines as what you can do?

A snorkel is a "poser" mod on about 95 percent of the rigs they're mounted on. Unless your tooling the outback or somthing, I just don't get it. Only my worthless opinion of course.

A snorkel is a "poser" mod on about 95 percent of the rigs they're mounted on. Unless your tooling the outback or somthing, I just don't get it. Only my worthless opinion of course.

Not that worthless if you ever cross water that's up to hood level, or if you need to stop for some reason in water.

Not that worthless if you ever cross water that's up to hood level, or if you need to stop for some reason in water.

There are sooo many other items under your hood besides air intake that can stop you in your tracks if you do a "hood level" water crossing. Snorkels in the US are for looks, plain and simple. I'll give you some credit if you say it's for convoying on dusty roads, I can believe that.
I'll qoute Bubb-Rubb and Lil' Sis, "We do it fer dekoration, dat's it and dats all, we do it fer dekoration". Of course they were referring to whistle tips....

On most trucks anything deeper than the rockers can cause problems.

Extending all breathers for the driveline is just one of them. Making sure there are no leaks in vaccum lines is another. A waterproof yet vented distrubutor is third.

I may end up with a fording snorkel that is a bit hummer like. Basically a scoop on the hood comes off with dzus fasters and the snorkle locks into a hole below it. No sense in having the snorkel on all the time also no sense in not having one at all. I dont think the Safari or OEM has the airflow I need.

There are sooo many other items under your hood besides air intake that can stop you in your tracks if you do a "hood level" water crossing. Snorkels in the US are for looks, plain and simple. I'll give you some credit if you say it's for convoying on dusty roads, I can believe that.
I'll qoute Bubb-Rubb and Lil' Sis, "We do it fer dekoration, dat's it and dats all, we do it fer dekoration". Of course they were referring to whistle tips....

I don't disagree that the majority of the time it's done for looks.

I do think it's useful though if you do water crossings. Plenty of stuff will stop you (which is bad enough), but not too many of those will hydrolock you (which is really bad)....

If I'm gonna do stuff to cover for the 1-2% of times when I need it (like a full skid plate), then it's rather silly from that perspective to not do a snorkle. ;)

Did anybody had installed this already and have some pics ?
Are all the parts available?
Darn tree broke my antenna so I figured out it is time for snorkel
thinking about ordering parts and moving with process.

Doc has done a write-up with pics and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom