Odd ball question.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys, I know this is 80 tech..BUT I have a lot of faith in you fellas..SOOOO..here it goes..came across a 1978 jeep Cherokee chief S levis edition, guy is willing to sell fairly cheap. its in great shape, interior is near mint(minus the dust and mice s***) new tires..really good paint. v8 360 full time 4x4.
ANYONE have a clue what it is worth? im thinking of buing it, cleaning it, then spending my profits on my cruiser :)

No more than $3k

As a fellow Jeep guy (owned 6 Jeeps), the $3k suggestion is a bit low if it's somewhat clean. Those old Chiefs are becoming very desirable. Much like the clean 55 series are right now. I tried to get a clean V8 late 70's Chief a few years ago and had a hard time getting one. They kept selling before I could get to it. Finally gave up and just focused on Yotas. They aren't going for old Bronco prices but they are getting there. The semi clean all original chiefs tend to be in the 7k-10k range. Super Clean in the $10-12k range, and for SUPER clean and/or heavily built then in the 15k + range. The beaters tend to be in the $3-5k range. If it's super clean and all original and under 5k then you can't go wrong. Here is some ads for a price reference.

1978 JEEP CHEROKEE CHIEF LEVI'S EDITION
1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief 4x4 4wd
'78 Jeep Cherokee Chief
1978 Jeep Cherokee Chief

This one says it has over a million miles; WTF!!!
Jeep Chief 4x4

Here is a total POS for a super low end price range
1977 jeep Cherokee Chief

Super Clean Built Rig for the high end range
1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief 2-Door

Last edited:
very nice! thanks much BH3D! everything is really tight on this rig, the interior is what surprises me most, it still looks brand new and completely original, the original paint has been tastefully touched up. looks really nice actually. new nexxen mud tires..its not lifted but completely stock. its got the cool chief badge on the quarter panel and a chief S badge built into the dash board.

As a fellow Jeep guy (owned 6 Jeeps), the $3k suggestion is a bit low if it's somewhat clean. Those old Chiefs are becoming very desirable. Much like the clean 55 series are right now. I tried to get a clean V8 late 70's Chief a few years ago and had a hard time getting one. They kept selling before I could get to it. Finally gave up and just focused on Yotas. They aren't going for old Bronco prices but they are getting there. The semi clean all original chiefs tend to be in the 7k-10k range. Super Clean in the $10-12k range, and for SUPER clean and/or heavily built then in the 15k + range. The beaters tend to be in the $3-5k range. If it's super clean and all original and under 5k then you can't go wrong. Here is some ads for a price reference.

1978 JEEP CHEROKEE CHIEF LEVI'S EDITION
1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief 4x4 4wd
'78 Jeep Cherokee Chief
1978 Jeep Cherokee Chief

This one says it has over a million miles; WTF!!!
Jeep Chief 4x4

Here is a total POS for a super low end price range
1977 jeep Cherokee Chief

Super Clean Built Rig for the high end range
1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief 2-Door

Whowee - that last one.....do a cummins swap and you're in business!

very nice! thanks much BH3D! everything is really tight on this rig, the interior is what surprises me most, it still looks brand new and completely original, the original paint has been tastefully touched up. looks really nice actually. new nexxen mud tires..its not lifted but completely stock. its got the cool chief badge on the quarter panel and a chief S badge built into the dash board.
If it's under 5k then there is meat on the bone for you. Anything under that is just more profit. Anything over and you have to REALLY pay attention to the details, title, history, rust, maintenance records, documentation of drivetrain rebuilds, etc.

I haven't watched Chiefs much but I have seen Grand Wagoneers go skyrocketing. I bet the Chief is doing the same. If you can save the original paint and interior, that's huge. I think $10,000 is realistic. Consider an ebay auction with reserve, or Hemmings classifieds to sell. Check on Hagerty insurance-valuation to get a value idea.

One big word of caution, it may be worth 10-12000 dollars, but you buying audience could be small. I still like it though, as a matter of fact, ill give you 5 grand for it!:hillbilly:

Much thanks guys. Hoping for 8-10k ...then I could get some sweet ass 34's for the Cruiser
Thats what I like, a happy ending. Good luck on your sale..! :)

here is a couple snap shots I took of it, I had a couple of the interior but they did not turn out. this thing looks like it was supposed to have the dukes of hazard flag on the side LOL!

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

I don't think SoCal pricing an IA pricing can even be compared. Californians pay WAY TOO MUCH and ask the same when selling. The sellers market really depends on the geographical location. asking $5k would get you laughed into isolation in a cabin in the woods here. An 80 here with lockers can be found fairly easily for under $5k in decent shape, Californians and especially southern Californians would want substantially more for the same vehicle, that's why I used to take all my cars down there to sell them, I could easily get $2k more down there and the buyer always walked away thinking they swindled me. Point being, if you want to know what to pay, ask local jeep guys. Hell, $7k might be a steal to you locally, but I've seen completely restored with detail ones go for that around here. And decent condition original conditions to for $3k. I passed up a running driving complete chief that needed a reupholster and paint otherwise great condition for $500 a few months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom