Obsolete Rear View mirror fix for ‘58 -‘67 FJ-45’s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

groundeater

...ordinary birdbrain 🤣
SILVER Star
Threads
Desperate times...calls for desperate measures !

1638933437963.png

1638933532498.jpeg

These mirrors 👆🏻are somewhat hard to find, they fit (1958 -1967). Was wondering if there’s any interest in going another route ?

1638934079072.jpeg

The 👆🏻(base)..to the left, is a prototype that l made off the first pictures above. (not painted yet)

I am not sure if the holes for the screws are the same distance apart in the earlier models ? (1958 -1966)

[The ‘67’s are 2 3/8 inches from center to center]

1638933950437.jpeg

💥 l ended up using an outer side mirror for my prototype. I’ve never seen an original rear view mirror, l am guessing that they are a bit smaller, height wise. 👇🏻

1638935449119.jpeg

At any rate...is there any interest out there in these bases ? The side mirror alone runs anywhere from $35 -$40...a guy can get them OK, but the base, is not so easily found. Not everyone will like a bigger mirror...l realize this, but some might be OK with it.

If there’s interest, l will delve deeper to see if l can get prices on having some more made, if not ...kaysarah ! I will monitor the thread and update it about prices if there’s enough interest.

If you’re interested in the base let me know the year of your rig
and the measurement from the center to center of the screw holes if yours isn’t a 1967. I’m open for more feedback & discussion/advice...

💥GroundEater💥

1638934197131.jpeg

Last edited:
@DomSmith had brackets made a while back, he’s looking into getting more maybe, look at this thread Wanted - 1963 FJ-45 SWB Rear view Mirror - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1963-fj-45-swb-rear-view-mirror.1259290/. I made a bracket and used a LMC Truck 38-5130 mirror, $20.

I think these brackets ended in late ‘64, there’s a different (and even harder one to find) bracket and mirror that went till ‘66 iirc, then another change to a two piece bracket/arm with mirror after that.

Last edited:
@DomSmith had brackets made a while back, he’s looking into getting more maybe, look at this thread Wanted - 1963 FJ-45 SWB Rear view Mirror - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1963-fj-45-swb-rear-view-mirror.1259290/. I made a bracket and used a LMC Truck 38-5130 mirror, $20.

I think these brackets ended in late ‘64, there’s a different (and even harder one to find) bracket and mirror that went till ‘66 iirc, then another change to a two piece bracket/arm with mirror after that.

💥...hey @middlecalf ,
Thanks so much for that thread and your input ! Your base looks great ! Thanks also for the mirror info and part #. Are these mirrors available still today through a Chevy dealer ?

I noticed my prototype has a shorter “tongue” than the ones in the thread you sent. My thoughts were to compensate a bit (shorten) because of the 4 1/2 height, figuring that the lower portion of that mirror will catch the view properly out the back.

Please let me know if the availability of the mirror that you have for $20 is something l could just walk up to the counter and buy, or have the dealer order it for me.

I will get ahold of the others that you pointed out to see if they’re getting more made or not, l noticed the time in the thread was August, September, of this year.

💥
GroundEater💥

...again thanks @middlecalf I will undoubtedly buy a $20 mirror just in case my idea “sinks slowly in the west” if ya know what l mean 🤣 ! I was gettin’ desperate because my side mirrors won’t stay put when I hit higher speeds and l don’t want to strip them by over tightening them 🤷 either.

It drives me nuts not having my mirrors adjusted correctly. A person uses ‘em more than he thinks....my rear view mirror is the only one that works and won’t move on me.

1639012116383.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom