Now that Apocalypse is on... Where do you take your 200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am not a doctor, but like many I heard this in WhatsApp and other rumor Mills:. A Korean doctor suggesting this simple test to see whether your lungs are infected or not is: to take a deep breath and hold it for 10 seconds or more. If you can successfully do if on a daily basis, you are good..do this if you feel you have the symptoms. By the way, it is this time of the year that everyone gets those cold, cough, sore throat symptoms.

It's obvious for the folks on this forum to be extra cautious - since they took the first step of buying an LC/LX in anticipation of an apocalypse...sorry pun intended!

Don't do this "breath test." It's not an accurate indicator of Covid 19, many respiratory issues can yield a false positive. There is a South Korean "breathalyser" that can detect biomarkers which is indicative of lung disease. Not sure if this device has made it into the US yet...

Is this legit? I mean, HIV too?

DFD4EB97-C476-451D-8C72-42CDA5597A59.png

Oh believe me, I've heard it all. I moved to CA in 2000 to get into the tech industry. I've caught endless s*** from family and friends in AR for moving to CA. Now I'm going to have to convince my new neighbors that I'm good people, with my California plates and all... Ah well, it could be worse. They could call me "Hollywood" like they do a friend of mine with a similar story, but from Alabama.
Is this legit? I mean, HIV too?

Humor alert... ;)

I'll be uncovering the trailer this weekend and re-loading all of our camping gear into it (we take out bedding, toiletries, and perishables over the winter). Probably won't de-winterize yet since we still get sub-freezing temps on and off here in Chicagoland, especially overnight. Doubt I'll use it to bug out, but we may decide to practice some social distancing on some BLM or USFS land in the middle of nowhere for the summer if self-isolation rules continue.

Side note: We moved over the winter (not terribly far from where we were at) to a bigger place with some land (at least by Chicago standards) and I was expecting to get our old house sold this spring and use the $ to tear down the dilapidated 1920's garage and build a badass one (among other things), then dump some $ into the LC. But the music pretty much stopped in the housing market last weekend. So now that I'm carrying 2 mortgages for the foreseeable future any non-essential expenses are kinda stalled. Hopefully we can find someone to rent it at least. Fortunately (or unfortunately) the mortgage is about half the home value so we're not walking away unless housing prices drop 50%.

Actually, unless you're going out to middle of nowhere, you should just stay home.

^^ This
My LC is parked with a full tank of gas and my bug out bag in the back and 60 days worth of food buckets from Wise along with some other "toys" that I may or may not own. <-- wow, such a run on sentence, my bad.

Weather is supposed to be in the low 80's today...I'm busting out the Hellcat and headed off to have some fun on the empty back roads. She's been sitting for a month.

Ouch. Best of luck.

My dad passed away shortly after the 2008 crash. So we were stuck trying to unload his huge house in Evanston during that recession. It took us a year+, but we were so thankful when we finally sold it (even if it did sell at a lower price than we'd hoped for).

Side note: We moved over the winter (not terribly far from where we were at) to a bigger place with some land (at least by Chicago standards) and I was expecting to get our old house sold this spring and use the $ to tear down the dilapidated 1920's garage and build a badass one (among other things), then dump some $ into the LC. But the music pretty much stopped in the housing market last weekend. So now that I'm carrying 2 mortgages for the foreseeable future any non-essential expenses are kinda stalled. Hopefully we can find someone to rent it at least. Fortunately (or unfortunately) the mortgage is about half the home value so we're not walking away unless housing prices drop 50%.

Ouch. Best of luck.

My dad passed away shortly after the 2008 crash. So we were stuck trying to unload his huge house in Evanston during that recession. It took us a year+, but we were so thankful when we finally sold it (even if it did sell at a lower price than we'd hoped for).
Thanks.

Where was it in Evanston? (Just curious since that's where I'm at)

Despite the housing market being very strong until ~2 weeks ago, I'd reasonably take a haircut on it *today* to remove the uncertainty. But the number of showings in all of the city dropped to almost nothing last weekend, so at the moment I doubt there's any price that would suddenly attract a buyer. I'm thankful that I'm in a role where I can work from home indefinitely at least, and I have to say I feel terrible for those who are hourly and ending up furloughed (or permanently laid off). Being in finance I've done the math and if the closures continue for more than a month or two it's going to take years for the economy to recover (the real economy, not the stock markets). Best case swag I'm estimating it's +1 month and +1% long term unemployment for every week things are shut down. At that point whether I own one house or multiple it's all going to be the least of my first world problems.

Where was it in Evanston? (Just curious since that's where I'm at)
Yup, I remembered that from when we chatted back at an LCDC. We lived on Sheridan Place.

I'll be uncovering the trailer this weekend and re-loading all of our camping gear into it (we take out bedding, toiletries, and perishables over the winter). Probably won't de-winterize yet since we still get sub-freezing temps on and off here in Chicagoland, especially overnight. Doubt I'll use it to bug out, but we may decide to practice some social distancing on some BLM or USFS land in the middle of nowhere for the summer if self-isolation rules continue.

I know how stressful these days are... Particularly looking at stock markets, mortgages etc etc. Wish you the best! Wishing everyone the best for a hot summer, and virus free days!

Hi linuxgod,

Just some general information after seeing your post...

This is for ANYONE with a MORTGAGE at this point...

Between the two(2) Fed Rate Cuts over the past weeks over 80% of mortgages can be refinanced to your benefit. ( Over $12 Trillion in mortgages. )

Since you purchased your "new to you" home in the winter of 2019 the appraisal completed "effective date" for that purpose can "Probably" have a simple

"Recertification of Value" Form 1004D? completed without having to DO too much of anything on your part, other than you signing the paperwork.

You may be able to get a "blanket mortgage" with both homes included with a lower rate and better terms.

The banks are totally overwhelmed right now and actually NOT offering the best rates possible to slow the tidal wave of applications, so let your bank know you

will shop around.

These are CRAZY times so the normal rules do NOT apply.

The appraisals are a huge "pinch point" as you alluded too as well with REALTOR's NOT being able to show homes easily that are still occupied.

Your appraisal was completed in the winter 2019 so the hard part on that is done. (If "BIG IF" they still consider the appraisal still valid with the "market shift" of recent weeks, but probably no new comparable sales can been presented to reflect the market change.)

My friend's bank has been receiving over 1,500 refi applications per day... They have NO CHANCE of keeping up at this point...

(Guessing) Look for the FED's to change or "temporarily suspend" the usual regulations to get this current nightmare monster problem addressed.

The hard lessons of 2008 - 2010 have long been forgotten.

Good Luck, hope this helps you a little,

Jeff

Yup, I remembered that from when we chatted back at an LCDC. We lived on Sheridan Place.
Ah yes. That's an amazing "block"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom