Now that Apocalypse is on... Where do you take your 200? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought my first house today. I’ll be moving over the next few days.

First things first, I need a tall ladder. I’ve got a three car garage with 25 foot ceilings. Absolutely putting at least one lift in. Outside of restaurants only allowing outside seating and school closed. It’s pretty normal where I’m at.
25' ceilings? Holy crap Bud is going to be jealous :) Congrats on the new house !!

The order does not say we can not leave the state.
For now. At the moment the order still seems largely voluntary. I’m not normally paranoid but I don’t really trust those making decisions right now if things go south. If push comes to shove I’d rather be holed up in a trailer in the wilderness than in a house in the densely packed city.

I ended up prepping it after work this evening. Uncovered, loaded the regular gear, battery back on, and did a quick checkup. Ran out of daylight to deal with bearing repacking, brake inspection, etc though. Hopefully it’s all just early summer trailer prep...

For now. At the moment the order still seems largely voluntary. I’m not normally paranoid but I don’t really trust those making decisions right now if things go south. If push comes to shove I’d rather be holed up in a trailer in the wilderness than in a house in the densely packed city.

I ended up prepping it after work this evening. Uncovered, loaded the regular gear, battery back on, and did a quick checkup. Ran out of daylight to deal with bearing repacking, brake inspection, etc though. Hopefully it’s all just early summer trailer prep...
I feel like if no one is around where your trailer is, then you should be good with the following social distancing. I will most likely be going an doing some work on my trailer some time this coming week. I will not be around anyone else so I feel this is following the spirit of the order.

My trailer is ready to go too. Thinking it through, it would really have to be a last resort type option. Reason being my home has much much deeper reserves. I can't carry as much for a family of 4 in even a good size trailer. Dry foods, water, and electricity. Water is usually the first resource I run out of in the travel trailer. Very conservatively used could go about 1 week.

Last edited:
IMG_5938.JPG

Hopefully I don't get turned around. I don't understand why I would, but then again I don't understand most things in California anymore.

This is not zombie apocalypse. My HOUSE has the most comfort, safety (security cameras, plenty of ammo), and convenience.

@NDizzle Where are you headed? I imagine the roads to be wide open and gas dirt cheap.

Travel is not an issue at all even in ‘shelter in place’ areas. You can also still ride your bike, take a walk, go kayaking, drive your LC, whatever. You just cant congregate in groups. That is true for WA, CA, IL, PA, NY, NJ, and everywhere else. Or camp on state land in UT, CO, PA, etc. The big reason why they are pushing shelter in place is that idiots where still holding dinner parties, hanging out with friends outside their own households, going en mass to the beach, etc. Not smart.

Travel is not an issue at all even in ‘shelter in place’ areas. You can also still ride your bike, take a walk, go kayaking, drive your LC, whatever. You just cant congregate in groups. That is true for WA, CA, IL, PA, NY, NJ, and everywhere else. Or camp on state land in UT, CO, PA, etc. The big reason why they are pushing shelter in place is that idiots where still holding dinner parties, hanging out with friends outside their own households, going en mass to the beach, etc. Not smart.

Yup. A few days ago people were seen gathering in public at Alki Beach in WA state, and also at beaches in FL. These selfish idiots are ruining it for everyone. Unless your work is considered essential, just stay home for a few weeks so we can all end this outbreak.

Made it out of California no problem. Almost to Texas.

just don’t carry baffling California politics over to Texas....

Sorry I didn't read every post, but just in case it hasn't been mentioned, a big concern with going out right now is availability of rescue services. I'm in Ridgecrest and the guy that sits in the cube next to me at work is on the local mountain rescue volunteer group. Kern county sheriff and groups like his are concerned about how stretched they're going to be with all the people thinking it's a great time to go break their ankle 10 miles into some back country trail, not to mention availability of emergency services once rescued. Great time to tinker with your rig and camping kit at home and not much else. I'm expecting to be home for two months.

My trailer is ready to go too. Thinking it through, it would really have to be a last resort type option. Reason being my home has much much deeper reserves. I can't carry as much for a family of 4 in even a good size trailer. Dry foods, water, and electricity. Water is usually the first resource I run out of in the travel trailer. Very conservatively used could go about 1 week.
Same here. Cabin-fever aside, I can shelter in place for quite a while with a fridge full of beer, a freezer full of meat, and occasional grocery deliveries to re-supply the former. If we left it would most likely be for safety reasons

Sorry I didn't read every post, but just in case it hasn't been mentioned, a big concern with going out right now is availability of rescue services. I'm in Ridgecrest and the guy that sits in the cube next to me at work is on the local mountain rescue volunteer group. Kern county sheriff and groups like his are concerned about how stretched they're going to be with all the people thinking it's a great time to go break their ankle 10 miles into some back country trail, not to mention availability of emergency services once rescued. Great time to tinker with your rig and camping kit at home and not much else. I'm expecting to be home for two months.

Yeah, I've heard this rationale as well, but for men my age, household accidents make up most accidental injuries and death. Of course the majority of household accidental injuries and deaths are caused by poisoning. I am not sure how that sort of thing happens, but perhaps that includes drug overdoses? Otherwise I am not sure how so many people are poisoning themselves.

On the other hand, perhaps it is not necessarily "accidental" 😂

In any case, if you factor in the decrease in traffic on the road and as long as you are not engaging in particularly risky activities, I am not sure how taking a road trip to a deserted national forest is any less safe or more taxing on our medical infrastructure.

Currently we are taking daily walks around the neighborhood and I am more concerned about breaking my ankle while dodging the crazy drivers texting on their phones than I am breaking my ankle at my favorite campsite in the Sierra National Forest.

I'm not saying that everybody should just ignore the SIP orders, but I am pointing out that somebody can hurt themselves just as easily working on their truck in the driveway at home as they can setting up camp in the woods. And there are communities around here that are smothered right now and I may hazard a guess that Kern County might be a better place to have an ankle cast at this point in time.

Rock on! Big “it depends” really. At home you won’t need a rescue before emergency services can get to you. My main point is about available rescue, not as much emergency services that I agree will vary by area and outbreak magnitude.

As for getting a rescue to you if needed, if you’re 100% confident in your rig, which is more reasonable for 200 owners than most, most contingency plans (extra food and water and such) are built on a normal timeline for rescue in the unlikely event that it’s needed, 24-72 hours or so. This environment makes it hard to estimate that timeline, so I would probably want to be able to walk out of whatever I drive into. I’m an old mountain warfare and cold weather infantry Marine though, so I probably over-prepare (act paranoid) for most outings. Keeping it casual and close to civilization, or going with a buddy with extra seating (who doesn’t have Covid-19) should be fine.

Yeah, I've heard this rationale as well, but for men my age, household accidents make up most accidental injuries and death. Of course the majority of household accidental injuries and deaths are caused by poisoning. I am not sure how that sort of thing happens, but perhaps that includes drug overdoses? Otherwise I am not sure how so many people are poisoning themselves.

On the other hand, perhaps it is not necessarily "accidental" 😂

In any case, if you factor in the decrease in traffic on the road and as long as you are not engaging in particularly risky activities, I am not sure how taking a road trip to a deserted national forest is any less safe or more taxing on our medical infrastructure.

Currently we are taking daily walks around the neighborhood and I am more concerned about breaking my ankle while dodging the crazy drivers texting on their phones than I am breaking my ankle at my favorite campsite in the Sierra National Forest.

I'm not saying that everybody should just ignore the SIP orders, but I am pointing out that somebody can hurt themselves just as easily working on their truck in the driveway at home as they can setting up camp in the woods. And there are communities around here that are smothered right now and I may hazard a guess that Kern County might be a better place to have an ankle cast at this point in time.

Rock on! Big “it depends” really. At home you won’t need a rescue before emergency services can get to you. My main point is about available rescue, not as much emergency services that I agree will vary by area and outbreak magnitude.

As for getting a rescue to you if needed, if you’re 100% confident in your rig, which is more reasonable for 200 owners than most, most contingency plans (extra food and water and such) are built on a normal timeline for rescue in the unlikely event that it’s needed, 24-72 hours or so. This environment makes it hard to estimate that timeline, so I would probably want to be able to walk out of whatever I drive into. I’m an old mountain warfare and cold weather infantry Marine though, so I probably over-prepare (act paranoid) for most outings. Keeping it casual and close to civilization, or going with a buddy with extra seating (who doesn’t have Covid-19) should be fine.

In this day and age, I'd say being a little paranoid and a lot over-prepared will take you a long way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom