'Nother 45 build/Resto thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

krzyabncanuck

USFS HOTSHOT
GOLD Star
Threads
Changed this a bit here.

Was going to just go thru this 45 a bit but found alot of things needing work so I am going thru the entire thing now.

It might be days between posts so just bear with me here and i will get it on the road.
100_4866.jpg
100_4865.jpg
100_4858.jpg

Last edited:
cool, more, more, more...............

Well as you can see from above the one pic is from when i went and picked it up. I will post a bunch of pics here shortly of all of the work i have done to it so far.

As you all can tell i am a little way into this and am just trying to get you all caught up. This is what i have done so far :

Pulled bed off of truck frame, cut both front panels out and beat dents out as best i can until gettting it blasted, pressure washed it,cut PO messed up metal out from it so can replace with good.

Pulled cab completely apart ( no wiring in it, seats, nothing left attached )

Cab is just resting on frame

Before pulling wiring started cruiser, ran real good and strong.

Pulled valve cover expecting bad things. Was clean enough to eat off of inside, will get pics later.

Enough chatting for now, have to go play with new Mig welder.

krzy,
I have a question. What do you plan to do about the rust? In post #10 those pics look like you have cut the metal under the doors and behind that there is a lot of rust. There is also going to be rust in places you cannot get to with a sandblaster. Someone GAVE me a 64 Impala a few years back. I started the restoration but just to much rust. Much more than you have, but any rust is still a problem. I have heard you can get the whole body, frame, etc. "acid dipped" but it is costly. Do you have a plan for getting rid of all the rust? Or are you going to do the best you can and live with the rest? I am very interested in how your project turns out.

Alright, played with new toy today ( mig welder ), so much easier than arc. Right now i am trying to fix the cab a bit before i take it to the sandblaster hopefully next week. So I am not going to repair the drivers rocker panel until i do the sandblasting behind it and get some paint back there. The PO cut the floor pan any time he had to get to something under it instead of getting to it from underneath. So that is what i am trying to repair right now.
dvr side patch.jpg
gas side patch.jpg
rear tranny hump patch.jpg

And yes before you say something about my welding it is about the first time i have used a mig before, that is why i am practicing on the inside before i go to the outside. :D :D :D

Also the inside is going to have some type of liner on it so you will not be able to see where my welding sucks. :D :D :D

The following pic is from where he had something coming in from inside the bed thru the cab wall, and no i have not sanded it back down and yes it will have a LITTLE bit of bondo or such in it, but not as much as the PO had. :) :) :)
rear cab patch.jpg

Lowtops, Good question. I am going to do the best I can with sandblasting it and hope like heck I can get most of it caught and gotten rid of. I know i will not get it all but for the time being all I can afford being in the Army ( retired and just started looking for job ) is to do what i am doing . I am not fixing where i cut out until i get it blasted though. You can not really tell from the pics but that is the only really bad area i found , the passengers rocker is still going very strong. Once i get my neighbors help this weekend i will set the cab on some stands and will take pics from the bottom.

Looks good! That's not that much rust, you should see mine. Keep us posted on the build, mine's in pieces in the garage so it will give me some motivation to get it finished.

What kind of welder did you get?

Rob

Seeing as i already had the arc welder for thick welding i just got me a Miller 135
welder.jpg

Well not too much done this weekend. Just cleaned it up a bit on the inside and waited for neighbor to come home to help pull cab, but no such luck. So cab is still on. :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

I know some of you all already seen this but see if you all can figure out what the PO did for the LEAN.
inner hole done.jpg
dvr rear shck.jpg
pass rear shck.jpg

I'll move my reply over to here since it makes more sense. Couple things on mine....you can measure the bed all you like, as it will be the same. What won't do you any good is the toolbox under the seat, because mine doesn't have one. Mine's a 66...don't know what year that changed. There is a guy in the "West End Cruisers" that has a 40 with the box. He should be at the meeting this Thursday night, so I'll ask him to drive that truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom