Northeast LC100 community, rust thoughts. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to keep my (new to me) LX 470 as protected as possible from the lovely salty brine we are so used to. I previously used POR 15 and Eastwood’s frame paint (the one with the hose that goes inside frame rails) to treat my 2015 Xterra. Is there any other suggestions? Any thoughts would be appreciated. My LX will probably be on jack stands for the next 6 months and free time will be dedicated to her. I need to have a capable rig ready for a Pennsylvania winter in 2024.

IMG_5169.jpeg

IMG_5168.jpeg

I have be debating on what to use as well, thinking fluid flim or NHOil undercoating but wasn't sold on anything yet. Clean LX you picked up, congrats!

You could have gotten away with a motorcycle in SE PA last winter :rofl:

Yeah the winter was pretty mild here last year! They still salted the roads a few times.

I did NH Oil undercoat this year from a local shop. My complaint is that it smells and when driving, the oil near the muffler would heat up and stink. Couldn’t drive with the windows down. Now that’s it’s summer that smell is all but gone. I haven’t noticed any more rust forming which is good but I know it’ll be back.

If you’re still in Brooklyn, there’s a guy in jersey that does a great job removing rust of from the under carriages of Toyotas. I got mine done there and I’ve been glad I did. He did fluidfilm as the protectant when I went, I think he does Woolwax now judging by his Instagram. Garden State Undercoating in Saddle Brook, NJ. If you’re at all considering that, contact him asap, he’s a busy man with trucks coming in from all over the north east.

That being said, your rig looks pretty good. Just treat it with something mentioned above and you should be good for a while. You may want to check the seal on that rear diff drain, tho!

Here's what I did with mine. I hit all the rust I could get to with a wire wheel, then Rustoleum Rust Converter. I then sprayed it with semigloss black paint. After that I Fluid Filmed as much of the undercarriage as I could get to. It does stink a little, but isn't a big deal, IMO. So far so good.

I’m an absolute believer in fluid film or surface shield from Pb. The surface shield lasts longer than the ff. I started using it a few years ago and it’s great. If you have rust, remove and then encapsulate those areas and then buy cans of the film, and use the small tube adapters to get everywhere inside and out. I diy and it was very inexpensive and easy. Yes it smells a bit, but such is life. There’s no better alternative

I use fluid film in enclosed, protected spaces. All body panels, doors, and inside frame rails. I use wool wax or a similar heavy lanolin product everywhere water spray could wash off the fluid film so basically anywhere I can reach under the truck. I apply every summer and had great luck.

You might remove the gas tank skidplate, clean the entire area well, and slather axle grease between the plate and the tank (if they touch).

NH oil undercoat hands down

Every year oil the s*** out of it

You will get a little smoke and unpleasantness for a couple days after but oh well

Clean out nasty areas/within frame prior to oiling to be more effective

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom