Normal for temp to rise significantly while parked? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After recently going through a head gasket rebuild/head job ordeal, I'm super-paranoid about overheating my truck.

I typically run at about a needle width over halfway on the temp gauge, sometimes it seems to creep up a little higher. I'm running a nonstandard (thinner) belt on the water pump as the defunct alternator the PO installed in place of the smog pump has a thin pulley. I suspect it may intermittently slip causing somewhat higher temps - but I just ordered my actual smog-pump replacement pulley and will be putting on the standard belts to remedy this.

To my question; I notice that on many occasions the temp gauge is in it's normal halfway-ish position as I'm driving around. If I stop someplace for a few minutes (to get gas, run into the grocery store for a quick errand or whatever) when I come back and start the truck again the needle rises up well into the top 1/3 of the temp gauge. It almost immediately comes back down to normal as soon as I start driving.
This is really noticeable if the drive has been on the highway, or up a steep grade, or something like that. I can imagine that I'm shutting the truck off and without coolant circulating the internal temps go up - which seems to be confirmed by the temps going down as soon as I start the truck again.

I guess I'm wondering if this is normal as I haven't seen this happen on any other vehicle, if it would be harmful for the temps to rise dramatically and then cool dramatically upon start-up, or if this is some consequence of sensor position (steam travelling up to the temp sensor)...any ideas are appreciated.

(And I know the temp gauge itself isn't precise...I have a water temp gauge ready to install as soon as I can figure out the best place/way to do it...could I thread it into a BVSV port on the thermostat housing??? I really don't want to drill/tap/weld anything)

When you stop the engine heat continues to transfer from the (hotter) iron into the coolant as things even out thermally, but the coolant is no longer circulating to carry the heat away. Perfectly normal.

Fairly typical, just be sure the carb cooling fan works.

It is normal,if you really want to be sure install a manual gauge to get better reading.

get a real temp gauge so you know what your temps are in "F", (aftermarket)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom