Noob Fj60 delivery with questions???? NO CHOKE? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4runner2FJ60

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all, I am a happy new FJ60 owner. It finally arrived from CA and it was better than i expected! Extremely thrilled, but i already have some possible issues mechanically. I am hoping some of you could shed light on some of them. I hope i don't find too much more! It is a 1984 1 owner vehicle. The seller however was the 2nd owner of approx 5 weeks. So communication direct with original owner is impossible.
When we rolled it off the flat bed this morning the driver said he had a hard time starting it once or twice? I instantly told him to pull out the choke and he said it did not have one! ???? I was not expecting a pristine battery but we drained that POS and jumped it. It eventually ran and very smooth, sounded great and i drove it around the block before leaving for work. (with the emergency brake) the master cylinder needs to be replaced. Also i bought a correct size new battery on the way home. My biggest concern right now is the brakes and lack of choke? I will attempt to attach pics. It also looks like some of the smog stuff was removed. The choke knob is not only gone but the entire shaft everything. The PO said to just turn key not to touch gas when starting?
On a final note, its not a huge deal breaker to me but i noticed the lack of power steering. It appears that the reservoir and pully with pump are still on the vehicle but the belt is not hooked up to the pully and it looks like a newish smaller belt is running of alternator only. I can deal with no power steering but it would be nice if there was an easy fix? Bear with me i am new to the FJ60. THANKS - I am happy with the overall appearance and complete lack of rust.

2019-10-03 18.02.23.jpg

2019-10-03 16.33.01.jpg

2019-10-03 16.33.09.jpg

Welcome to the adventure-

No worries about those little things, they can easily be replaced. If you can't find a complete choke assembly new (with knob) you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a used one. The choke cable may still be available new, but I know that the knob isn't.
Definitely get the choke working. It's really important (for starting). It's easy to hook up.

So the brakes are bad. Fill up that master cylinder w DOT 3 brake fluid & bleed the brakes. Lots of info on this site explaining how . Easy. If that doesn't get the brakes working, then brake stuff will likely need to be replaced, like the master cylinder & maybe rear brake pistons or front calipers.

Power steering pump can be replaced w new. Not hardto do but costs a bit.
All in all that's all little stuff. You got a non rusty cruiser which is the important thing.

Hello all, I am a happy new FJ60 owner. It finally arrived from CA and it was better than i expected! Extremely thrilled, but i already have some possible issues mechanically. I am hoping some of you could shed light on some of them. I hope i don't find too much more! It is a 1984 1 owner vehicle. The seller however was the 2nd owner of approx 5 weeks. So communication direct with original owner is impossible.
When we rolled it off the flat bed this morning the driver said he had a hard time starting it once or twice? I instantly told him to pull out the choke and he said it did not have one! ???? I was not expecting a pristine battery but we drained that POS and jumped it. It eventually ran and very smooth, sounded great and i drove it around the block before leaving for work. (with the emergency brake) the master cylinder needs to be replaced. Also i bought a correct size new battery on the way home. My biggest concern right now is the brakes and lack of choke? I will attempt to attach pics. It also looks like some of the smog stuff was removed. The choke knob is not only gone but the entire shaft everything. The PO said to just turn key not to touch gas when starting?
On a final note, its not a huge deal breaker to me but i noticed the lack of power steering. It appears that the reservoir and pully with pump are still on the vehicle but the belt is not hooked up to the pully and it looks like a newish smaller belt is running of alternator only. I can deal with no power steering but it would be nice if there was an easy fix? Bear with me i am new to the FJ60. THANKS - I am happy with the overall appearance and complete lack of rust.

View attachment 2098294

View attachment 2098295

View attachment 2098296

hi , matt here

i can help you out with a NEW OEM Toyota Choke Cable Assy.

Please Check out My Link Below

My FJ60 Choke Cables also come with a New OEM TOYOTA Trim Nut Bezzle Retainer as well , witch it appears

you need also .........

Please let me know if you have any questions , and Most of all :

Welcome To MUD ..............:)

Welcome to the madness, get those forearms in shape for turning!!!!
PS Pump may be seized or dead, hence the lack of belt. I had the same issue when I purchased BeBe and was able to find a used one at a parts yard (Pick n Pull here on this side of the country). Other than that you may want to look at Georg's (@orangefj45 ) Saginaw conversion as the new PS pumps are $$$$.

For the brakes, time to pop the truck up on some stands and start going through everything, make sure that all the hardware is in good condition and replace what is needed. Plenty of info/threads on that stuff here.

Also, look in my sig line for the FSMs. Download and get to reading! Good Luck, and have fun with the new beasty!

I've got a used p/s pump for sale in the classifieds $50
Is that some kind of alarm system under the fuse box? You'll prob end up having to remove that.
Agreed the brake reservoir is Lowwwwwww! Add and look for leaks.

I've got a used p/s pump for sale in the classifieds $50
Is that some kind of alarm system under the fuse box? You'll prob end up having to remove that.
Agreed the brake reservoir is Lowwwwwww! Add and look for leaks.
Looks like a power trailer brake to me. Noticed the Cruise Control...cool!

even with a choke, you can't start a cold 2F engine without pumping the accelerator. and when the engine is warm/hot, you need to hold the throttle wide open (accelerator pedal pressed to the floor) until the engine starts. There is a recent thread with pictures of the owners manual pages that cover starting the engine.

Also, I would at least take off the top of the air cleaner and make sure there is a choke installed on the carb. You mentioned there might be some desmog, and maybe it is not a stock carburetor (although, I'm not sure that you can put a different carb underneath the OEM air cleaner.)

Read your owners manual. If you don't have one definitely find one. Lots of useful information as suggested above for simple issues such as starting procedures.

I would strongly recommend you go to the 'subscribe' section and buy a $20/yr silver star so you can post unlimited pictures. You're gonna need it and I guarantee you'll save that 100x over by being able to fix things yourself with MUD's help. This is the best forum ever.

Plus, it'll get rid of most the pop-ups and other annoying ads.

View attachment 2098294

View attachment 2098295

View attachment 2098296
I would strongly recommend you go to the 'subscribe' section and buy a $20/yr silver star so you can post unlimited pictures. You're gonna need it and I guarantee you'll save that 100x over by being able to fix things yourself with MUD's help. This is the best forum ever.

Plus, it'll get rid of most the pop-ups and other annoying ads.

@Spike Strip Speaks The Truth about a needed Membership upgrade for you , without one ,

you Cannot PosT Photo's in a PM Message at all .................:confused:

you will quickly find a group of fellow members that you will Bond with , and being able to share

photos to them and
SUPPORTING VENDORS as well to communicate your Parts or Technical

Needs and Wants is Simply Paramount............
💥

Adventure-Driven-driver-rear-wide-1-2-Copy 1 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
THANK YOU ALL for your responses and knowledge. It is VERY much appreciated. The carb has a place to attach the choke cable on it in the back like a throttle cable would. I am still wondering why it would not have been fixed? Like starting a lawnmower without choke......... Heres the Noob part....the carb has writing on the front starting with an A but i cannot read it! Not sure if its all the hoses in the way or just the stylized logo. The cruise control i look forward to testing. I think i will remove the towing brake box. It also seems to be connected to the battery positive lead. I replaced battery but the + was so messed up i had to install a new terminal today, also just had to remove the battery tray to wire brush and get ready for paint.
I had a successful afternoon but just forced myself to stop in anger. I bled brakes adding fluid, everything went well with rear but instantly had issues when i got to the front. Found the leak, it was a split in the master cylinder reservior rubber hose leading to the rear break end of the stroke. Not sure how i missed it to begin with. Since i had already bought a new Aisin i decided to put it in. I bench bled it which was a choir as the "Universal" bench bleed kit i purchased only had one of the two bleed ports i needed! After going to the store again, i final got it bled good, removed old one, installed new one, installed front connection, then BAM....the rear port will not thread into the fitting!!!!!! :-( I stopped. capped it off and will give it till tomorrow. Can ANYONE HELP? The end of the nut, not the flare on the pipe, but the part before the threads start seems like it is flared too much to get into the male side and will not go in to engage the threads on the brake line side! ???? Do i need a new brake line from there to distribution block? Its only maybe 4" long of pipe. Sucks i could not finish the job and bleed brakes again, but tomorrow is another day. Thanks again for all the coments and suggestions and i did order the oem choke cable from Matt.

oh and i will pay for the membership. I do not have the owners manual, but will be looking for one soon along with a service manual or two. I still have the "Toyota Truck & Land Cruiser Owner's Bible" from 1997.

This particular FSM is a MUST have , and have it NOW sooner rather then later , it will save you Thousands of

dollar's over the course of your Stewardship Preserving and Restoring you Precious New to You FJ60 ,

and save Hundreds of man hours of your time getting frustrated possibly also ...........

This is Publication # 36043

DSCN1053.JPG
DSCN1056.JPG
DSCN1060.JPG

So Folck ,

Here are the other 3 main FSM Back Bones you will Need to Round up Quicker , Rather then Later in order

to Keep Order both under the hood and laying on your Back on cold concrete under the chassis as well

First up is Publication #36104

this is your Tool / Engine 2F Repair and Service manual

it will cover in detail everything you might not already know about installing your Snappy New OEM

TOYOTA Choke Cable Assy..

DSCN1066.JPG
DSCN1067.JPG
DSCN1068.JPG
DSCN1069.JPG

next up is publication # 36044E the Chasiss & Body FSM , this covers well , all the chassis and all the body parts

its about 3 -4 ties thicker the the engine FSM

one important detail u MuSt remember , about this one :

- There is a 36044

- a 36044A

- 36044B

- 36044C

- 36044D

and the 36044E like im have shown

you want the 36044E as most desirable and up to date for a fj60 , the 36044A for example , has alot of FJ40

mixed in , so in your case , steer clear of anything but the E last edition

its all 100% FJ60 for Ya............... 🦄

DSCN1073.JPG
DSCN1078.JPG
DSCN1079.JPG

This will be the hardest of your Needed FSM's to find and source , and be or seam over priced too , but

its worth every penny , expect to pay $75+ for a really clean one

the Electrical FSM has fold out pages , and is wayh more in details then the crappy diagrams in the chassis one

this is publication # 36679A

DSCN1081.JPG
DSCN1082.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom