NOOB Center Locking Diff Question

Here's a potentially ridiculous noob question. Is it true that all 80s are center locking diff capable. I heard that if you just buy a center locking diff switch, the vehicle is already wired for the feature. Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm a 4Runner nut, and I'm just getting started on the LX.

:cheers:,
Jason

great! thanks

Your center diff automatically locks whenever you put it in low, adding the switch and doing the "pin 7" (check the FAQ) mod allows you to engage/disengage manually, in hi or lo.

firetruck41 said:
Your center diff automatically locks whenever you put it in low, adding the switch and doing the "pin 7" (check the FAQ) mod allows you to engage/disengage manually, in hi or lo.

From Slee's Tech article on the Pin 7 mod: "DO NOT DO THIS MODIFICATION IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A CENTER DIFFERENTIAL LOCK SWITCH INSTALLED"

So its one or the other, I guess.

KC Cruiser said:
From Slee's Tech article on the Pin 7 mod: "DO NOT DO THIS MODIFICATION IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A CENTER DIFFERENTIAL LOCK SWITCH INSTALLED"

So its one or the other, I guess.
No, reread it, you should only do this mod if you have the switch, if not, the Pin 7 mod is useless and probably means your center diff will never lock automatically. I have the switch and the pin 7 mod, and it works as advertised.

You can just add the switch w/out the Pin 7 mod, IIRC it will give you the ability to engage the CDL in Hi, but not the ability to disengage in Lo.

Last edited:
firetruck41 said:
No, reread it, you should only do this mod if you have the switch, if not, the Pin 7 mod is useless and probably means your center diff will never lock automatically. I have the switch and the pin 7 mod, and it works as advertised.

You can just add the switch w/out the Pin 7 mod, IIRC it will give you the ability to engage the CDL in Hi, but not the ability to disengage in Lo.

That is true. I have not yet done the pin 7 mod, but have put in the center diff switch, and it works as you describe.

firetruck41 said:

I read over that a million times, and only AFTER someone says to reread it do I realize what it says.

This has been a long day....

Hayes said:
Jason, like Ben says, realize that your center diff DOES already lock when you're in low range.

Hayes

10-4. I just want to be able to lock it up in hi range if I want to. Plus I was wondering about it so I could do the pin 7 mod. Btw, what does IIRC mean? Sorry, but I don't know.

Hants

SILVER Star
If I Recall Correctly.

The CDL button with Pin7 also allows you to run in Low with the CDL OFF. This allows a tighter turning radius.

I'm pretty sure the Pin7 mod adjusts/corrects the shift points in Low.

firetruck41 said:

Incorrect.

cruiserman said:
Incorrect.
Ummm.... anything else? :rolleyes: What is incorrect? Pretty pointless post, if you don't point out what is incorrect:mad:

The switch allows for non-locked center diff in low. At least it does in my rig.

Pin 7

AFAIK,
The switch allows manual control of the CDL. The Pin 7 mod is how you disable the ABS and the auto locking CDL in LO. IE: full manual control of the CDL in High or LO.
Am I missing something, or incorrect??
Chris
94FZJ80 2.5 OME 285's CDL Pin 7

My understanding of pin 7 mod is that some people think it adjusts the shift points. It has no effect on whether or not the center diff locks in low.

Hants said:
I'm pretty sure the Pin7 mod adjusts/corrects the shift points in Low.

there are two sets of transmission shift points, one for high one for low, the pin 7 mod only corrects the shift points if you were running the pre pin 7 mod witch was to disconnect a plug on the T-case.

if yor 80 is stock the shift points will still be correct for each range after the CDL switch and pin 7 mod.

cruiserman, firetruck41's statement that you quoted looks good to me, what is incorrect? did you hit the wrong quote button?

cruiserman said:
My understanding of pin 7 mod is that some people think it adjusts the shift points. It has no effect on whether or not the center diff locks in low.

after pin 7 the CDL will not automatically lock when the T-case is put in to low, so pin 7 is all about locking the center, if you did the pin 7 without a CDL switch the CDL could never be locked.

pin 9 or 19 (depending on year) is the shift points pin,

the early mod of just removing the plug on the T-case killed both of these signals, the desired effect of preventing automatic locking in low but also had the side effect of having high range shift points wile in low.

I have the CDL swith and pin 7 mod on my 80 I think most do. .

I'm with Raven and Firetruck on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom