Nonspecific part numbers: wheel studs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
Threads
AA04A548-600D-47E1-B954-CEB8C056D72E.jpeg
02FB324A-8366-429E-AF77-DDA06A7D0733.jpeg
Like a good many 80 owners I’m in the process of replacing all of the wheel studs on my rig. The part number I ordered has been verified to be correct but the part is not the same as original equipment. While this difference may not be significant to most owners, I think it’s worth posting, if for nothing else, educational purposes. I often wonder when I order a “genuine toyota part” is it really genuine?

Last edited:
Where did it come from?

Where did it come from?
As I understand it, we now share wheel suds with cars like LX 300 or ..... part number came from Mud and I verified it at toyotdiyparts.

Maybe it doesn't matter but to me the new one won't take as much torque of the wheel, but I suppose they aren't really going to turn the wheel enough to pull the front up on the quarter mile....

The studs job is mainly to retain tension but I find it interesting that Toyota gave us the absolute best in the beginning but now sell us less than the max.

In my mind it's less of a question about being "genuine", although we can argue that most "genuine Toyota" parts are not made by Toyota but instead by vendors and only to Toyota specifications... But really more of a question of "being equivalent". Image a poor Toyota Engineers job of having to specify a wheel stud for a new vehicle design when they probably already have hundreds if not thousands of wheel stud design to pull from. He probably got tired of looking through the old designs and drew up a new one to meet his technical and cost objective, even if it is almost exactly the same as an old one. He took the easy way out and now some lower level engineer is tasked to clean up his mess and find and obsolete the old design, not knowing it may (or may not) effect our 25yo trucks. It all about the cost saving these days...

In my mind it's less of a question about being "genuine", although we can argue that most "genuine Toyota" parts are not made by Toyota but instead by vendors and only to Toyota specifications... But really more of a question of "being equivalent". Image a poor Toyota Engineers job of having to specify a wheel stud for a new vehicle design when they probably already have hundreds if not thousands of wheel stud design to pull from. He probably got tired of looking through the old designs and drew up a new one to meet his technical and cost objective, even if it is almost exactly the same as an old one. He took the easy way out and now some lower level engineer is tasked to clean up his mess and find and obsolete the old design, not knowing it may (or may not) effect our 25yo trucks. It all about the cost saving these days...
Mostly for “educational purposes”.

As I understand it, we now share wheel suds with cars like LX 300 or ..... part number came from Mud and I verified it at toyotdiyparts.
just got 12 of these for the front. Did your's end up working out OK @baldilocks ?
20181227_172515.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom