Non-Turbo 2H with high EGT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I have a 350K HJ60 with an H55F transmission and 33" wheels, a 4.11 diff ratio. It is about 2.8 tons and is designed for touring. It is slow, yes I know, but there is another issue. When I cruise on the highway with 95-100km/h at 700-800m altitude, EGT stays on 500C. I feel like it is a little high. I don't know it is normal or something is wrong with the 2H. It is regularly serviced, has no black or other color smoke, injectors are new, and is slow. When I climbed a hill on the highway, the EGT skyrocketed to 600-650 C, and I had to drop gear to 3th and climb 50km/h. did I say it is slow?

Do you have any idea about it?

Thanks for your help in advance.

When was the air filter last changed? Not enough air for the provided fuel = high EGT's.

When was the air filter last changed? Not enough air for the provided fuel = high EGT's.
About 3000km ago and I also clear it regularly. There is no black smoke to indicate excessive fuel. However I will check the snorkel for the blockage.

500-650 degrees is very very low. EGT on a N/A diesel is pretty much irrelevant. There's no restriction in the exhaust like there is with a turbo which causes high EMP and increases cylinder/head temps so you don't need to stick to the same safe EGT as they do. You can run N/A diesels so hot the headers start to glow and in some cases depending on exhaust length blow flames out the end of the pipe and it's completely safe. Not many people run EGT gauges on N/A diesels due to this but when they do most are shocked by how hot it gets compared to figures spoken about by people running turbo diesels where it's a critical factor.

That's what I'd expect from a heavy landcruiser and non turbo diesel. As @IanB said, check your air filter. If you don't need a snorkel then disconnecting it will help your engine breath.

650°C is only 1200°F, which is not considered too hot even for a turbo diesel. Sounds perfectly normal to me.

650°C is only 1200°F, which is not considered too hot even for a turbo diesel. Sounds perfectly normal to me.

It's pretty hot for NA. It's hard to get hotter without a turbo. My last NA diesel topped out at 550C.

What fuel consumption are you seeing? Its entirely possible you may be able to wind the fuel back a bit and see no drop in performance, and a saving in consumption.

What fuel consumption are you seeing? Its entirely possible you may be able to wind the fuel back a bit and see no drop in performance, and a saving in consumption.
Fuel consumption is around 12L/100km. There is no drop in consumption. Performance is a big question. I rerouted the pipe (2.5") to exit from the side of the driver's side(LHD). However, many of my friends said they smell the diesel and don't want to drive after me on the track. But no one sees any black smoke or another color. I checked the filter and snorkel, and everything seemed normal.

That's what I'd expect from a heavy landcruiser and non turbo diesel. As @IanB said, check your air filter. If you don't need a snorkel then disconnecting it will help your engine breath.
Yeap, it is on the heavy side, I know, but I checked the air filter. It is nearly new; a snorkel is an option actually; however, you don't know when you need it.

I am really confused. I cannot understand why the EGT is not important in NA engines. Heat is heat. Isn't it? The Head will get hot in the end, and this will affect the overall temp. And, as far as I know, 2H doesn't like getting hot.

Ohh sorry now i understand, little magical screw on the IP. ok I will try it.

Fuel consumption is around 12L/100km. There is no drop in consumption. Performance is a big question. I rerouted the pipe (2.5") to exit from the side of the driver's side(LHD). However, many of my friends said they smell the diesel and don't want to drive after me on the track. But no one sees any black smoke or another color. I checked the filter and snorkel, and everything seemed normal.
12L/100klms is good, thats what I'd expect from a well performing 2H with a normal load.. Your EGTs are not stupid high but I had a probe in my #6 cylinder outlet for a while and my EGTs were about 60-80deg lower than that.

2Hs are slow, zero doubt about it. Try and get a run up if you spot even a minor slope ahead of you, keep the revs high and get out of 5th before the hill starts. Sit back and enjoy the view as you climb the big ones.

Your friends sound like big girls.

I am really confused. I cannot understand why the EGT is not important in NA engines. Heat is heat. Isn't it? The Head will get hot in the end, and this will affect the overall temp. And, as far as I know, 2H doesn't like getting hot.
There's only so much heat you can produce in the cylinder by using atmospheric pressure intake air and fueling to match. The exhaust has little to no back pressure without a turbo so has better flow of the hot exhaust gases out of the cylinder and actually has a bit of scavenging which keeps the cylinder/ head temps much cooler. Adding a turbo does the opposite by increasing intake pressures which then needs to be compressed which creates a lot more pressure/heat and is often matched with extra fueling making even more heat inside the cylinder/head. The turbine wheel and housing restrictes the exhaust causing high back pressure (EMP) which effects the flow and actually reverses it in a lot of cases during valve overlap causing more hot exhaust gases to stay inside the cylinder which is why EGT is so critical on turbo diesels but not so much on n/a diesels. EGT on n/a diesels can be much higher but actually have much lower temps inside the cylinder and head compared to turbo diesels

There's only so much heat you can produce in the cylinder by using atmospheric pressure intake air and fueling to match. The exhaust has little to no back pressure without a turbo so has better flow of the hot exhaust gases out of the cylinder and actually has a bit of scavenging which keeps the cylinder/ head temps much cooler. Adding a turbo does the opposite by increasing intake pressures which then needs to be compressed which creates a lot more pressure/heat and is often matched with extra fueling making even more heat inside the cylinder/head. The turbine wheel and housing restrictes the exhaust causing high back pressure (EMP) which effects the flow and actually reverses it in a lot of cases during valve overlap causing more hot exhaust gases to stay inside the cylinder which is why EGT is so critical on turbo diesels but not so much on n/a diesels. EGT on n/a diesels can be much higher but actually have much lower temps inside the cylinder and head compared to turbo diesels
ohh, I see. now i understand. Thanks for your explanation.

12L/100klms is good, thats what I'd expect from a well performing 2H with a normal load.. Your EGTs are not stupid high but I had a probe in my #6 cylinder outlet for a while and my EGTs were about 60-80deg lower than that.

2Hs are slow, zero doubt about it. Try and get a run up if you spot even a minor slope ahead of you, keep the revs high and get out of 5th before the hill starts. Sit back and enjoy the view as you climb the big ones.

Your friends sound like big girls.
Yea, she is a bit big. When I climb the hills, unintentionally, I lean forward as if she would go faster.

When climbing hills, a NA 2H can definitely overheat. I wouldn't get complacent about that.

On a turbo engine you monitor EGT as they can go much hotter and melt pistons.
A non turbo engine cannot get hot enough to melt pistons. They just start to smoke more and more.

500-650 degrees is very very low. EGT on a N/A diesel is pretty much irrelevant. There's no restriction in the exhaust like there is with a turbo which causes high EMP and increases cylinder/head temps so you don't need to stick to the same safe EGT as they do. You can run N/A diesels so hot the headers start to glow and in some cases depending on exhaust length blow flames out the end of the pipe and it's completely safe. Not many people run EGT gauges on N/A diesels due to this but when they do most are shocked by how hot it gets compared to figures spoken about by people running turbo diesels where it's a critical factor.
500 - 650 degrees "C" is not at all very very low. It equates to over 1200 degress F and is very much near the piston melt down range.
My question is where and why did was a pyrometer that is calibarted in the metric "Celcius" sourced to begin with? I have honestly never heard of such an animal. I wonder if it really a gauge that is calibrated in "F" and has been miss-labeled as being calibrated in "C". That makes alot more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom