Noise/shock when front wheel drops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '99 has a properly set up and working AHC. No leaks, passes tests, springs replaced, t-bars adjusted, 13 fluid graduations difference from high to low. Still have the original globes at 312K miles. My front lower shock bushings are shot (some play in them) - I have replacements but have not installed them.

My question is this - if I hit a speed bump too fast (and top out the front suspension), or drop either front wheel into a good-sized pothole, there's a very solid 'bang' and a lot of shock. It doesn't feel Lexus-like at all. The CD player skips and passengers look at you like something bad just happened. I can't believe this truck acted like this from the factory.

Given AHC's magic, what controls the down-travel on the front suspension? Fluid through an orifice? Pixie dust? Help me spend $$ to fix this. Thanks!

If your lower shock bushings are shot then could it be a metal on metal situation you’re hearing? How are you upper and lower control arm bushings?

I believe the bushings are in good shape (but I will check) and the LBJs have been replaced. The truck drives very well under all other conditions and there is no play or odd sounds/motions.

This wheel-drop shock is so pronounced that I don't think it's just the slack in the shock bushing being taken up - it's something more.

I believe the bushings are in good shape (but I will check) and the LBJs have been replaced. The truck drives very well under all other conditions and there is no play or odd sounds/motions.

This wheel-drop shock is so pronounced that I don't think it's just the slack in the shock bushing being taken up - it's something more.
I’d also double check all bolts in that general vicinity are properly torqued.

I have same problem in left front on 99 LX. I replaced all bushings in control arms a couple thousand miles ago and have fully refurbished the AHC including new globes etc. I haven't gotten around to replacing the tie rod ends yet, so I'm wondering if it could be those? I haven't had a chance to check it out yet

i also get this. I'm running ome t bars and have the truck lifted around 2.5+ inches but always trying to figure out why this happens. Its jarring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom