no spark (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello, weve been trying to start up the cruiser this weekend and havent gotten anything. Weve changed out the condensor and the cap, but and the points yet. we know that theres power going into the coil, but how do we know if powers coming out? whats the next step?

Last edited:
Pull the coil wire, ground it out while you are cranking..

If that has spark, pull a plug wire and ground it out while you are turning the truck over.

Or, you can hook up a timing light to the SP wire, look at the light and turn the truck over. If you are getting spark, the light will work..

Pull the center lead from the distributor(the one coming from the coil) and hold about 4mm from the engine block. Turn the engine over, you should see a blue spark. If not there's a problem with your coil, battery, etc.. If you do get a spark there's a problem with the distributor cap, rotor, points. You can also do this with one of the spark plug leads to see if you get a spark. If you do there's a problem with the plugs, clean and regap them.

Good luck!!

74fj40 said:
Weve changed out the condensor and the cap,

Take the cap and dust cover off the distributor, and crank the engine...

If the points are not sparking, then the small wire that connects to the points via that post through the distributor, may be grounded out to the side of the distirbutor housing. You could have done this when you changed the condensor... If the points are not able to collapse the primary field in the coil, causing the main spark from the secondary coil windings to make its way down the coil lead to the distributor, you will not have spark at the wires or plugs....

You have 12 volts at the coil right? ;)

Good luck!

-Steve

ok steve, took off the cap and dustcover, still no spark, made sure that the condensor wasnt grounded, still no spark. still have to pull the coilwire and hold it to the block.

no spark with the dustcover removed no spark on the coil wire.

Check the power goign to the coil..

there is power going into the coil, still havent checked the coil to the block, gotta studdyfor finals this week....

withe ign on and points open, you should have 12v at the points.
use a screwdriver to short out the points - this should give a spark at the points.
short/unshort several times and check for spark at the coil lead to block.
You checked the leads are ok? if not, or you dont know how, replace the coil lead with any old bit of wire for the above test see if it makes any difference.

you've done points before?

74fj40 said:
were gonna by pass the whole electronic ignition and use the old coil and see if that works

Do you still have my phone # ? feel free to use it or e-mail me your's .

I am assuming the Jacobs install is not going well ???

well we got all wires and everything hooked up, but there was no spark. so we unhooked the electronic ignition and used the old coil and everything, and theres a spark, right now were waiting for the batteryto charge.

Ok you mentioned you put the old coil back on and you got spark. I'm not too familiar with the electtronic ignition thing. Does it require a coil also? I would think it has to. But anyway my point is that if you have a new coil on the system then I would think it is faulty. You can take the coil and shake it and you should hear the oil inside the coil sloshing back and forth and it should be heavier than the old coil. Not sure if you've already tried that, but I was havin problems with my spark, replaced the coil and that fixed it.

Chuck

Keep it coming...I still can't get my"new" 2F to spark. I tried what was suggested to me but still no sparky.

Check all of your fuses. happened to a buddy's piggy blown fuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom