no spark (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
about a week and a half ago my alternator went out and i had it replaced at pep boys and i drove it home fine and to school the next morning but when i tried to start it to go out to lunch it would not spark, the battery was charged and i didnt see any obvious problems. i then checked the msd coil and box as i had had similar problems with it. after a day or two of serching for the problem with no luck i towee it over to pep boys where they fixed something with the points. after i got it back it back it ran for a day before it wouldnt start again, this time i took it striaght to the shop where they replacea a couple of fuzes and a relay, they kept it over the weekend to see if it would start again, so a luck has it i was able to drive it home and then to school where it is now sitting with no spark, any suggestions or ideas?

It is probably something that hasn't been fixed or replaced yet. Since it sometimes runs and sometimes not, I would look into possible problems like a loose wire or a bad ignition switch.

One way you might test whether this is the problem would be to bypass the key and ignition wire by hot wiring the + side of the coil to the + side of the battery temporarily and see if the problem goes away.

I though the point of MSD ignitions was to eliminate points.

also check and clean the coil holder. take it out and sand paper where the bolts attach to the body.. also if you check all the body and frame grounds...

the 1 time when i got my 1980 fj40.its have no spark...i clean the coil holder because also at the top have a square box that its with the coil( forget the name) its have a ground cable that its bolted together with the coil( ignition coil..not the coil in the block)..maybe i will post a picture to school me better on the parts name..but check all ground its a MUST DO...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom