No Spark (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to say hi to everyone here. I am new and this site looks pretty cool. Anyhow to the problem I have.
My good friend has a 91 landcruiser and went to lunch yesterday and when he tried to start his truck it just cranked and cranked.
I checked everything I could think of and found out it wasnt getting spark.
We bought a new coil and ignition control modual (ICM) and still no spark.
On most vehicles with a distributor of that year, they have a coil pickup in the distributor. I located it and removed it but nobody seems to carry the part, not even Toyota. Can anyone please give me some advise as to how I should go about locating this item.
I know we can buy a new dizzy but they're quite pricey.
If anyone else has any ideas on what could be wrong, please feel free to let me know.
Thanks alot for your time.
Ryan

Ryan, sometimes folks get a little eager towards noobs with questions.
To use the search engine effectively

Click search, select advanced tab. Highlight 80's section and type keywords into and search. If you get too many hits (250 max) then change your key words or select titles only.

There is an aweful lot of information available via the search engine. But please feel free to continue to post your questions related to this problem in this thread. Thats what this forum is for.

Please fill out what vehicle you have and the particulars on the bottom of the user control panel, saves redundant questions. Ask away with the questions.

Well Thanks for the replies. We finally found out what the problem was. I noticed that the engine wasnt getting fuel today so we called a toyota tech. he said he would start by checking the relays. I pulled the main efi relay and replaced it and bam it started. Turns out to be a 16 dollar fix.

Please fill out what vehicle you have and the particulars on the bottom of the user control panel, saves redundant questions. Ask away with the questions.
I would galdy do this, but I would like to spare myself from getting bashed for owning an f150 and a few honda products.

You don't have to put those others in the sig line. I don't :]
EFI relay very very common, IIRC there is a to be all repair that involves a better relay, of coarse i don't own one so i take the 5th.

i have 91 with 247,000 miles on it. driving down the road - it died. had it towed to a dealer. i thought it was the coil - but what do i know ... dealer took a week to decide it was a bad distributor. price from dealer $699. wow. plus 2 hours to install. that sounds like a lot to me.

btw, i love my land cruiser. i wanted one since the 70's and now i have it.

Ryan;
The 3FE powered 80 series cruisers have an engineering wiring problem; i.e., EFI relay wiring is not up to handling the current required.

I'm not sure this is the case. When I rebuilt mine I had 2 ammeters measuring current with the truck running. The coil side of the relay was in the milliamps and the load side of the relay was just over an amp. THis was a while ago and I sometimes forget my kids names, but I remeber thinking that the current draw was not enough to cause these issues. My original wiring was brittle and corroded. I think this is mostly caused by poor crimps in the fusebox and heat from the manifold. The metal can relays get incredibly hot in that location. I have a spare EFI relay that lives in there. It is not connected to anything and gets just as hot as the working ones.

I question as to weather or not Tojo actually changed the wire gauge when bringing the 1FZFE to market or simply the relocation of the manifold to the other side of the engine bay eliminated the problem.

Needless to say all 3FE 80 Series owners should inspect the wiring.

JonHeld;

The more I think about that, I think ur right. Just an engine layout problem that manifests itself with krispy wires. Ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom