1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Rotation Tire Data

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by landtank, Oct 31, 2003.

1. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Ok here is the measurements of my tires which haven't been rotated for there entire life of 62k. I also included a pic of my front right tire for tread comparison. These measurements were taken using a 100ft tape measure which was all I could find that would lay flat around the tire however it only has increments of 1/8" so there is a certain "Fudge Factor" involved. These are circumference measurements.

Right Front = 9' 1/4" @36psi
    Left Front = 9' 1/4" @36psi
    Right Rear = 9' 9/32" @35psi
    Left Rear = 9' 1/2" @20psi

Unused spare = 9' 1 3/16"

The left rear is the one that took a nail and has been thought to be fixed :-[

I've pumped them back up to 45psi and will watch the pressure more closely but It will be some time to see if the tire pressure is the reason for the wear descrepency

2. wob

wob

Why never rotated?

3. Scamper

Scamper

Maybe I'm not thinking about this the right way, but why would your tire with 20psi have a quarter inch more rubber than the others? I would think that an underinflated tire would be smaller in circumference. ???

Tom

4. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

This is the only vehicle that I don't rotate tires on. It's because of the AWD system. They should wear evenly once they have worn to the crown in the road. The firts set of michelins did and I expected these to also. On another thread it was mentioned that not rotating them would be disasterous to the VC in the t-case. I was asked to provide some info so instead of tacking it on that thread I started a new one. As for the wear, power would be biased to the tire that provided the greates forward travel in a rotation. The soft tire would have a smaller diameter and be smaller than the rest. At least in therory :-\.

5. Junk

Junk

I never rotate my tires and never keep track of what tire was where when I swap them for the trail tires. Happens so frequently that they all end up with even wear anyway. :flipoff2:

6. landtoy80

landtoy80

On my mud type tires with big open lugs, I must rotate. If I don't (I am over due and they are starting to show it) every other lug will wear more. The worse it gets the louder the tires get.

7. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Kurt can you elaborate. I don't understand how only half the lugs are wearing and how rotating switches between them.

8. landtoy80

landtoy80

The side lugs on the front tires wear from truning.
    The tires on my semi wear in the strangest way. I will take some pic and post is they turn out.
    Tire wear is very strange how it happens but once it starts it takes over the tire it will wear even faster.

9. landtoy80

landtoy80

10. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Rick, that's incredible tire life! Clearly nothing's amiss with your alignment or drivetrain. Of course oversize tires are understressed on your truck but still......

I thought I was doing well with 63k on a set of Kelly Safari DTR's that still have about 12/32 tread on them. These are 265/75s. I put them on in '94 as narrow winter tires and used them for 8 years that way (49k worth), then pulled the steel studs out of them and ran them all summer in '02, then again in '03 to add another 14k. Just took them off last night for the Arctic Alpins and can't believe the tread depth. They should be rock hard by now, but I guess because we live in a moderate summer climate and they were used in winter they've never really had much heat in their life, 'cause the rubber still feels about like they did new.

According to their original depth of 19/32, they're about 1/2 used up now(!) but I'm thinking at some point they've simply run out of service life in terms of years. Any opinions on this??

Doug

11. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Doug,

Let's not go there, OK? 'Cuz then it snowballs into getting rid of old guys since we've been around for a while......... :eek:

12. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Well, I dunno - what's your original depth vs current? :D

Doug

13. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

hmmm mandatory euthenasia, what a good idea,

14. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world