no more clunking... just good, firm shifts! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.linkedin.com
01Nov2003 (UTC -7)

Finally, my auto tranny (2001 UZJ-100 with A343F) doesn't clunk anymore when I'm driving aggressively. I previously thought that it was just firm shifting --which is good as there is less slip on the clutches-- but I was very much mistaken. Now, it's got real good firm shifting, not smooth like in a Camry would --but firm that you get pushed-back-in-your-seat kinda shifts.

I looked up the "clunking" (i.e. harsh engagement) symptoms in the Toyota Repair Manuals, and it suggests checking the Accumulator Control Valve and/or Solenoid Modulator Valve. Then I remembered that I recently smelled something that was suspiciously burnt ATF for a while, when I did the nasty Truck Hill and also Five Fingers climb in Hollister Hills in my 6,500lb beast. Add the facts that I haven't drained & refilled my auto tranny and it now has 49,384miles on it, I thought I'd flush and refill the ATF:

1. Drain the ATF via the drain plug
2. Remove the lower transmission pan and scrape off the residue silicone gasket
3. Clean the tranny filter (i.e. oil strainer) at the parts washer
4. Remove the ATF return line from the transmission cooler (i.e. in the radiator), and have a big container ready
5. Note the condition of the expelled ATF. Mine smelt a bit burnt
6. Return the tranny pan, with new gasket. Re-torque bolts as per Toyota specs
7. Fill-up the tranny via the ATF dipstick
8. Start the engine and put it in neutral
9. ATF should now flow to the big container, so continously pour more ATF in until the ATF coming out is nice and clean
10. Between your 12th to 14th quart of ATF, the draining ATF should be clean, so then you can stop the motor
11. You'd need about 2 to 3 more quarts to top it off
12. Check ATF level again later when the engine is warm, just to be sure

HTH !!!

I think you solved your problem by just changing the oil. The brand of oil used is not as important as getting the burnt oil out.

We put Redline in the 94 and the mileage went up. I would not believe it if someone told me that I could get a mileage increase from changing tranny lube, but it did. 183,000 miles and it is getting between 15 and 17 mpg, interstate 80mph mixed with city driving. That was about 20,000 miles ago that the lube was changed. It is still clean looking and no foul smells.

http://www.redlineoil.com/

Synthetic.

It is expensive. I went with it because a friend of mine is a dealer so I got a little bit better deal on it. My deal was similar to Mobil 1 prices. He got into it because all of the new manual trannies (dodge, ford) take synthetic and there was nobody in our town stocking synthetic gear lube and ATF. So he uses it more of as a convienence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom