No crank start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having a no crank no start situation. Full power, all accessories working, battery ok and connections seem fine. Just a loud click and nothing. Ordered a fusible link replacement and preparing to take out the starter. I had someone try to turn it over and noticed a hissing sound after the click. Any thoughts on what this might be?

Video linked below

That seems to me like a starter.

Whack the bottom of the starter with a hammer or breaker bar, then try again. If it cranks, then it's the contacts in the starter.

The hissing could be the contacts frying inside the starter.

Any recent water crossings or deep water issues?

No recent water crossings but the starter housing is more corroded than most I’ve seen. The wack didn’t do anything this time around. Will assess once I pull it out this weekend and report back.

Same exact issue after replacing plugs and wires. Any update on this?

Same exact issue after replacing plugs and wires. Any update on this?
If you're hearing a good solid "thud" when you turn the key to start, then the starter solenoid is pulling in. If that's the case, then either the +12 to the starter is not connected or the internal starter contacts are worn.
Personally, I have left the main starter wire off the positive battery terminal several times after working on this or that under the hood, so that is always the first thing to check. I go to start the truck and hear the thud, which is immediately followed by my head banging the steering wheel.
Starter contacts are easy and inexpensive to replace. Many many threads about that.

Thought I'd follow up here - I replaced the fusible link (old one looked fine) and positive terminal connector (badly corroded) with no change in my post plug/wire change no-start situation. Turn the key, everything comes on as it should in the first two positions, but when turned to start, I get a loud "click" and power cuts. Disconnecting and reconnecting the cables puts me back in the same place although the battery seems to have fully discharged over night. No blown fuses in the under hood or lower dash blocks.

A very poor video is linked below. If you can tune out the birds and sirens in the background you can make out the various start up noises.
@jonheld Doesn't sound like much of a "thud" to my ear.

the battery seems to have fully discharged over night.
It's going to be difficult to start with a discharged battery. Is it possible that this has been your problem all along?
What is the voltage across the battery terminals?

@jonheld Swapped in a known good battery with the same results. I'm leaning toward this being due to a bad ground somewhere based on the battery needing to be reset after each attempt at starting. My electrical knowledge is limited so forgive the assumption, but wouldn't I be encountering a blown fuse if there is a short at each attempt?

I’ll say that I haven’t had this in my 80 but other vehicles every other time myself or a friend has had the power kill after click to start it’s been bad battery cables every time... whether it was the cable or the connector on the cable that’s been it every time.

I'm leaning toward this being due to a bad ground somewhere based on the battery needing to be reset after each attempt at starting.
I'm not sure what this sentence means. What do you mean by "reset" and how do you "reset" a battery?

I'm not sure what this sentence means. What do you mean by "reset" and how do you "reset" a battery?
Poor choice of words - what I'm referring to is disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery

So have you tried jump starting it with another vehicle and jumper cables? I have found with bad battery cables that sometimes will do the trick. I wouldn’t rule out starter contacts either as others have said though.

Poor choice of words - what I'm referring to is disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery
Explain to me again why you have to disconnect and reconnect the battery after each attempt at starting.
Have you physically checked the cables as previously suggested?
Are you certain that the battery terminals are tight?
This sure sounds like a power source issue to me.

There are also more Land Cruisers in Brooklyn than in the rest of the 5 boroughs combined. There are several GCLC members that might be able to help you out.

Glad you got it figured out at least. Those cheap battery connectors got me in my past too...

@TNOverlander @jonheld
I am embarrassed to admit this..but the + terminal (a cheapo until the OEM gets here) wasn't making strong contact with the post.

OY VEY!

@TNOverlander @jonheld
I am embarrassed to admit this..but the + terminal (a cheapo until the OEM gets here) wasn't making strong contact with the post.

OY VEY!
Don't be embarrassed. We all make mistakes. We all overlook the easy stuff and go right to rebuilding the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom