Nitto Terra Grappler versus Ridge Grappler? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey crew,

I'm likely going to buy a set of A/T tires for the LX 470. Reading through posts the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 seems to be well liked. I noticed the Nitto seems to have (at least some what recently?) come out with another tire called the Ridge Grappler. Reading the documentation the Ridge seems to be a All Terrain / Mud Terrain hybrid, some websites seem to give it an overall edge over the Terra Grappler. Wondering if anyone has experience or an opinion on the two?

One more question, with either, what size should I be looking at? My truck is a 2004 (stock height with AHC) and oem 18" wheels Seems like two popular sizes are 285/65/18 and 275/70/18

Hey crew,

I'm likely going to buy a set of A/T tires for the LX 470. Reading through posts the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 seems to be well liked. I noticed the Nitto seems to have (at least some what recently?) come out with another tire called the Ridge Grappler. Reading the documentation the Ridge seems to be a All Terrain / Mud Terrain hybrid, some websites seem to give it an overall edge over the Terra Grappler. Wondering if anyone has experience or an opinion on the two?

One more question, with either, what size should I be looking at? My truck is a 2004 (stock height with AHC) and oem 18" wheels Seems like two popular sizes are 285/65/18 and 275/70/18

I've been shopping the BFG KO2 vs Ridge Grappler for some time. My research so far has me believing the Terra Grappler is quiet for an AT and the Ridge Grappler is loud for an AT (but still quieter than a Mud Terrain). In my experience the KO2 is nearly silent until it's mid life where it starts to get noisy. The Ridge Grappler tread is sexy and a little boost in trail performance would be welcome.

As far as sizes, 275/70/18 is 100% safe. That's what I run on my 06LX with AHC and there is zero rubbing at any point, even in full lock in low. If you never venture off-road, maybe target one size down to reduce rolling weight on highway, but realistically, the differences are minimal.

Good luck and please report back if you get the Ridge Grapplers! I need to make the call in the next 6 months.

I've been shopping the BFG KO2 vs Ridge Grappler for some time. My research so far has me believing the Terra Grappler is quiet for an AT and the Ridge Grappler is loud for an AT (but still quieter than a Mud Terrain). In my experience the KO2 is nearly silent until it's mid life where it starts to get noisy. The Ridge Grappler tread is sexy and a little boost in trail performance would be welcome.

As far as sizes, 275/70/18 is 100% safe. That's what I run on my 06LX with AHC and there is zero rubbing at any point, even in full lock in low. If you never venture off-road, maybe target one size down to reduce rolling weight on highway, but realistically, the differences are minimal.

Good luck and please report back if you get the Ridge Grapplers! I need to make the call in the next 6 months.

Many thanks for the response. Should I be considering the KO2's as well?

Have you looked in the wheel and tire forum? There is lots of good information on different tires (from different rigs) in there that may help shed some light on the questions for you.

For me I have never been a huge Nitto or Toyo fan because I have had problems with their stuff (came on vehicles when we purchased) in the past. My go to for the last number of tire changes has been Cooper Discoverer tires. Had the S/T Maxx on my FJ60 and LOVED them, only gripe was they only lasted about 30k miles. Wife has the AT3s on her 11 4Runner and they have been great. Before that was set of HTPs that lasted a good 50k miles before we had to change out.
Before I sold my 60 I threw on a set of the AT3 XLT to replace the S/T Maxx and was really liking them in the wet and little bit of snow we had.

Alita (my 100) has the Falken AT3W on her and they have been awesome tires thus far.

My only advice is to watch the weight of the tires. 100s don’t respond well to heavy shoes at least not on pavement.

@gregnash Curious what went wrong with your Toyo/Nittos? I've have probably 6 sets over the years and no problems. Most of them made in Japan... some made in the US.

Ridge grapplers are dope looking. Real aggressive, are they a/t’s.

ko2’s are just outright good looking performing tires. that’s what I have on my rig.

a budget performer to consider ... wild peak at3w

@DuckLN are you saying I should avoid the larger A/T tires? Seems like most members are using them?

33" tires are very popular on here, but it inevitably increases wear on CVs, diffs, hub flanges, brakes, etc... I think you fall off a bit of a cliff when you jump to 35's where the increased wear is a more significant issue. With 33's vs factory 31's I think the difference is manageable. Definitely non-zero, but manageable.

Regardless of tire selection, most these rigs are 15-20 years old and have 200k+ miles. If you want to own one for long you're going have to wrangle with most of a front end rebuild at some point. Might as well enjoy it and run the tire you want.

I have experienced terrible tire performance from a set of new nitto grapplers on a 4runner in snow. Never seen a set of ATs that terrible.

Dunlop AT20 and rugged trails bad for those familiar with other stock Toyota tire choices.

I'm on falken at3s and they are pretty good but I preferred the coopers I had before. Quieter on road and easier to balance.

295/70 18 Ridge Grappler here. Second set. They are heavy, you notice it the weight when you drive. Replaced the original set at 15k. This is my second set of these. Replaced the original Terra Grapplers. The Ridge are definitely heavier, a little noisier, bite a little better in the mud. One size down is probably perfect for most people, and the Terra is a better solution for those that want more of a bias towards onroad performance.
I've overall been happy, and would recommend.

@gregnash Curious what went wrong with your Toyo/Nittos? I've have probably 6 sets over the years and no problems. Most of them made in Japan... some made in the US.
Had them on a couple of previous vehicles and always seemed to wear way more quickly than stated (50k would last maybe 35k with regular rotations) or would have strange uneven wear. Always seemed like they were incredibly expensive for what we were getting and thus just went with other tire brands.

My 100 had 275/65-18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s (load range E) on it when I bought it. They have been fine on/off road, and in the snow. They currently have just under 70k miles on them, and are due to be replaced. I'll probably go with them again as they are the least expensive option of the tires I like (BFG AT KO2, GY Duratrac), and they have been fantastic mileage wise.

Hey all, thanks again for the responses. I'm going to pull the trigger on the 275/70/18 KO2's, since I'm going up in tire size, my plan is to swap the spare to an identical tire. Can anyone confirm that a 275/70/18 will fit in the spare tire area? Reading through other threads it appears that it was *just* fit.

He's talking load rating. The KO2s in the size you want only come in E rated it's a 10 ply tire. I'm sticking with the 275/65 R18 as I don't want to add too much more weight per corner.

He's talking load rating. The KO2s in the size you want only come in E rated it's a 10 ply tire. I'm sticking with the 275/65 R18 as I don't want to add too much more weight per corner.

Ah that makes sense. I found out the hard way, the 275/70/18 did not fit in my spare tire area because I have an aftermarket hitch. Without the hitch it would have *just* fit. Thankfully Discount Tire was cool about it and let me return the 5th tire. 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom