Nicaraguan Troopy Project (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently moved to Nicaragua and started my quest to find a vehicle to explore the wilds of Central America. I have owned a T100 since 95 so I knew a Toyota was top on the list. I needed a vehicle that could hold my surfboards and bikes inside (articles left outside depart quickly in Nicaragua...) and be dependable enough to return the Gringo back home safely. I have always wanted a Hilux but after seeing the HZJ78 ambulance come blazeing by me with another yet another traffic carcass, I had to have one. So, I started my search. After 2 months of searching the used market and finding only 2 for sale (both of which were hammered) I opted for a new 2010 Troopy. :) I figured buying a new truck would relive me of some reliability problems that I really don't want occurring in the jungle of Nicaragua... After 2 weeks of haggling with dealers who seem to NOT want to sell you a truck I finally brought home my new toy. Now the first phase of mods :hmm:I have ordered an ARB bullbar with fog lights, and an ARB roof tent with rack first. Hopefully they will clear customs sometime this century... If all goes as planned they should arrive in a week or so. Until then I will start modifying the interior with custom racks for the surfboards and bikes. I am also going to remove the interior panels in the back and make them into storage areas for various things. I also plan on making a drop down table off the rear door. Upon completion I am planning to Rhino Line the interior and the kick panels on the exterior.Pics to follow soon...
On the short list of other mods, OME suspension kit, BFG AT 33's, lights, rear air locker with compressor, and a water tank somewhere...

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is my first truck build...

PICS!!! And welcome to Mud!

Here is a few pics of the stock (for now...) ride.:) So far the stereo, automatic door locks, window tint, and the alarm are installed. Interior work on the surfboard racks and Rhino Liner start this week... All this for only $32k...:bang: But it sure does run sweet...
troopyfront.jpg
troopy side.jpg

Does anyone out there have a good source for rims for a 78??? I have looked all over Nicaragua, USA, and Costa Rica to no avail... 16inch by 7-8 inches 150mm hole spacing. Prefer steel but alloy is ok too. Maybe someone in Australia???

I agree the stock rims look good but they are only 4.5 inches wide... So unless you like the motorcycle tires that are stock on it I will need something wider. Hulsty, do you have any contacts in Australia you would recommend?

I agree the stock rims look good but they are only 4.5 inches wide... So unless you like the motorcycle tires that are stock on it I will need something wider. Hulsty, do you have any contacts in Australia you would recommend?

I do not know any place that would organise shipping for you, but could be done quite easily by yourself, manufacturers of suitable steel rims are Speedy wheels, Dynamic rim and ROH. Just about any tyre shop in the country would be able to get them if they are not on the shelf.

Off the top of my head try ARB Dandenong.

correct me if I'm wrong but won't the 100 series rims bolt up to these axles? The stock ones are cheap if you shop around. If you need some mechanical help I will be glad to trade you labor for a place to crash and a ride to the waves. I'll even bring you some wheels if it results in some good surf :)

Great looking truck!!!! Does it have a 1HZ engine?

correct me if I'm wrong but won't the 100 series rims bolt up to these axles? The stock ones are cheap if you shop around. If you need some mechanical help I will be glad to trade you labor for a place to crash and a ride to the waves. I'll even bring you some wheels if it results in some good surf :)

The 105 series rims fit no probs on the 5stud 7x series cruisers ,I'm not 100% on the 100 series alloys I think the centre needs a bit of digrinding to fit over the hubs

More Info..

Here is some of the latest pics. The front speaker and tweeter are in on the front door. The back is stripped except for the two seats which I plan on keeping in for passengers and it make an ok bad in a pinch. I installed two lap belts to prevent the passengers from becoming airborn on dirt roads... I had covers made for all the seats with the Land Cruiser emblem as well. Also pics of the stock 1hz motor and 2010 dash with radio.
door2.jpg

Also done this week was the auto-door locks which work very nice :) I would post pics but since I am a "newbie" my attachments are limited :( Figures... Tomorrow the rack building begins and according to the shipper, my camper and bull bar have arrived in customs.... Swamprunner, feel free to drop me a line if you ever want to surf Nicaragua. I might be willing to take you up on the work for lodging idea!

The 100 series alloys don't work unless you run spacers. The backspacing is too much and the tires hit the frame; really bad on the rear.

Nice looking 78, Lee. Can't wait to see all the modifications when you are done with it.

Thanks for the the clarication John...knew the rims would bolt up but wasn't sure about back spacing.

Nica...sending you PM. Always wanted to get down there to surf. I don't exaclty have a resume but I am building this...https://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/459921-project-79-5-a.html
and as far I surfing goes I can hold my own. Heading to Indo in a week or two but after that my schedule is open.

The 100 series alloys don't work unless you run spacers. The backspacing is too much and the tires hit the frame; really bad on the rear.

Nice looking 78, Lee. Can't wait to see all the modifications when you are done with it.

No the 100 series ones don't fit but the 105 series rigid front axle ones do 16 x 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom