Newly purchased '78 electric fugaboo questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BigHighBlue

GOLD Star
Threads
Howdy! I recently purchased a December 78 and it has some interesting wiring (I know, I know, they all do). Currently I have the battery out while I am baselining the truck and when I put it back together I don't want to A. Fry the new stuff and B. I want to put it back together "correctly". I've attached some pictures. As you'll see the battery is a 24V and there is a shutoff switch which the PO said he installed because the battery slowly dies if it isn't started on the regular. My understanding is that these are 12 Volt trucks so I'm confused as to how the 24 Volt battery is working. HELP!

IMG_2808.jpeg

IMG_2806.jpeg

IMG_2804.jpeg

IMG_2805.jpeg

IMG_2807.jpeg

IMG_2804.jpeg

I run a group 27 in mine.

The red battery switch is a marine switch for a boat. You will want to remove that and lots of other parts that don't belong....
Yeah...step by step. RN I'm concentrating on installing new carb, fuel pump, hoses, belts, water pump etc. But electrical is definitely on the list.

There's nothing inherently wrong about the battery switch (the red thing) other than not being OEM. It's just a shut-off. Useful for long term storage to avoid battery drain. If you can lock your hood they make pretty good anti-theft deterrents. A determined thief will figure out that they can lay under the rig and get an arm up and turn the switch back on but for your average trailhead scenario they work pretty well.

Most 12/78 wiring harnesses I have come across have dual fusible links and the 50amp ammeters. Search through the forums for better descriptions and repair procedures.

There's nothing inherently wrong about the battery switch (the red thing) other than not being OEM. It's just a shut-off. Useful for long term storage to avoid battery drain. If you can lock your hood they make pretty good anti-theft deterrents. A determined thief will figure out that they can lay under the rig and get an arm up and turn the switch back on but for your average trailhead scenario they work pretty well.

Most 12/78 wiring harnesses I have come across have dual fusible links and the 50amp ammeters. Search through the forums for better descriptions and repair procedures.
Thank you for the knowledge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom