Newly Overhauled FJ62 Trans Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All, listen to the attached video and tell me what you think. I just installed the rebuilt auto tranny in my '89 fj62. Rebuilt TC installed. Fit together nice, no binding, torqued everything sequentially,topped er off, started her up, and this sound. Slow drip, too. Same sound in all gears, no change. Trans works/drives well. No vibration. Took out the 6 bolts mating the TC and flexplate, ran motor for 10sec, no noise...both TC and flex plate spin freely. Put it back together and makes same noise... is this a torque converter noise?

That sounds awful, Like it's scraping on something. Could it be the ring gear hitting the starter cog shaft ? Starter misalingned a bit or the starter cog not retracting properly? I wouldn't drive it like that for too long. Good luck.
could the flexplate be on backwards, if that's even possible?

Last edited:
Sounds pretty bad. It doesn’t look like it’s turning smoothly. Sounds like it’s scraping on something every rotation. Maybe the starter like pithicus suggests? Can you turn it by hand or with a crow bar and watch to see if it’s touching anything it’s not suppose to?

Thanks all for the ideas. TC bolts are snug and correct, checking the starter, flex plate's welds are facing aft towards the trans. I'm starting to wonder if the input shaft needle bearing up front was bad and didn't get replaced during overhaul. Next step pulling trans. Thanks again

Look at how much the flex plate is wobbling around! Something is either bent, or not mounted properly. Unbolt the converter, and see if the flexplate still has that wobbling run out, or if it starts running true. If it keeps wobbling, then either the flex plate is bent or not mounted right. If it stops wobbling, then either the torque converter is bent/damaged somehow, or something is wrong with the transmission.

The torque converter is not located by the input shaft. It's located by piloting into the crankshaft on one side, and supported by the main bushing located in the pump on the other side.

Look at how much the flex plate is wobbling around! Something is either bent, or not mounted properly. Unbolt the converter, and see if the flexplate still has that wobbling run out, or if it starts running true. If it keeps wobbling, then either the flex plate is bent or not mounted right. If it stops wobbling, then either the torque converter is bent/damaged somehow, or something is wrong with the transmission.

The torque converter is not located by the input shaft. It's located by piloting into the crankshaft on one side, and supported by the main bushing located in the pump on the other side.
Relocated the FP/TC 180° and bolted it back up. Spins true now. Still leaks and noise hasn't changed. The TC seated properly into the bushing/pump prior to assembly, and initial matchup was within 1/16" FP:TC. It's coming out and going back to the guy who "overhauled" it.

That really doesn't make sense. The converter on these isn't "keyed" to a certain position. Something is bent/wrong now. Might be the converter, flex-plate, or both. Wonder if the converter was dropped on its face?

When you installed the converter, you got all 6 bolts started and slightly snugged before tightening them, right? The dowels for the transmission are still in the engine right?

Make sure you check the FP carefully. It needs to run true.

This is the new TC after about 20 miles. I suspect the bushing/bearing that interfaces with this surface of the TC is worn out and didn't get replaced during overhaul, because this wear is abnormal. It's going back to the trans shop.

IMG_20211224_181212_01.jpg

Crank the engine and make sure the flextplate runs true with 0 wobble. Make sure the nose of the converter fits snug inside the crankshaft snout still. That joint is critical for aligning the converter.

If it's a reman converter, I would place more bets on the converter being rebuilt incorrectly.

Thanks, Lead, for your insight. Yeah, zero wobble in the flex plate. I will manually set the nose of the TC into the crank snout and verify it's a snug fit. The TC hub fits positively all the way into the trans housing,, but it seems to have significantly more play/wobble than I would've expected. It is a reman converter from here in Alaska. So you think it's possible to get a defective one once in a while? Man, I hope not. I'm going to rule out everything else first before I swap that out. Keep ya posted

Update on diagnosis: main bushing spinning loose in the pump housing, not replaced during the initial rebuild. Sent to a machinist in Portland who is installing a new bushing with an oversize O.D.
Also sent TC back to remanufacturer for balancing. See what happens when it all goes back together.

Update on diagnosis: main bushing spinning loose in the pump housing, not replaced during the initial rebuild. Sent to a machinist in Portland who is installing a new bushing with an oversize O.D.
Also sent TC back to remanufacturer for balancing. See what happens when it all goes back together.
Followup: One YEAR after dropping off my trans for overhaul,, all back together and running fine. It was the worn bushing in the pump housing not properly interfacing with the trans side of the torque converter.

One would have thought that the worn out bushing would have been identified and replaced during the initial trans overhaul, but WTF would I know, I'm just the customer. No itemized list of actual parts replaced in the rebuild, just an $1,850 bill for "overhaul of trans and transfer case".
What was actually done is anyone's guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom