Newbie just picked up 82 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seat belts, subwoofer,center console and seats installed...

20220715_161316.jpg

20220715_161452.jpg

Installed the sound deadening material to the back of the door card instead of in the door itself...also staped in a plastic 'pocket' to keep water off the back of the speaker
20220717_160451.jpg

20220718_112317.jpg
Black door trim gives the kickpanel a nice, finished look
20220718_112235.jpg

20220718_115340.jpg

Dry fit the new dash pad just to get a look at what the final outcome will be...
20220718_110525.jpg

Last edited:
Dash pad installed, it really draws attention to the faded blue paint of the dash but I can live with it. Sure looks a lot better than no dash pad like before.
20220721_150540.jpg

I need to do something about the faded, crumbling steering wheel but for the most part it really starting to come together
20220721_150554.jpg

Took the wife for a ride around the neighborhood to test the sound deadening material and it made a huge difference.

Try to find a steering wheel the same style as that one. I've found they are the best for hand position and comfort over later models.

Been following this thread since page 1 great work! Which sound deadening material did you use? Did you remove the old tar-like goo that was in their from the factory? I'm doing that now on my 1980 4x4 and it's not hard, just kinda tedious. A heat gun and small scraper work great...

Last 2 months I havent gotten much done, been busy with work. I have been camping a few times...
20221004_092704.jpg

I did just pick up a slightly newer truck, looks like I will be posting in another section of this forum soon.
20221026_133429.jpg

Been following this thread since page 1 great work! Which sound deadening material did you use? Did you remove the old tar-like goo that was in their from the factory? I'm doing that now on my 1980 4x4 and it's not hard, just kinda tedious. A heat gun and small scraper work great...
Used Mat 66 from amazon. Was easy to install and works great.
A small scraper was used to remove the loose gunk underneath

This little truck has been just about bulletproof since I got it one year ago. I babied it for the first few months, but lately we have been really testing her and she passes with flying colors. Hard trails and pushing her limits, she just keeps looking for more.

I decided not to do any bodywork or paint, going to leave the external appearance as-is. The interior looks and feels great, audio systems sounds good and she runs like a champ. Im finishing up the rear tube bumper installation, then going to take the front and rear bumper to get powdercoated to match the roll bar.

On a different note, my wife and I found ourselves in a potentially dangerous situation that will be a wake up call for us. This past Sunday we went up to the local mountains to do a little off roading. We decided to check out a moderate 11 mile trail connecting highway 74 with route 243 in Souther California. This trail was a steady uphill climb the whole way with lots of mud and ruts from 3 weeks of constant rain here.

We got about 7 miles in and started to experience some ice and snow on the trail. It was fairly warm when we left our house and we were not dressed for cold weather. I was in shorts and a sweatshirt, but was not too concerned when it started to lightly snow.

We got to about the 8.5 mile mark and the trail just got real nasty, huge ruts, frozen over puddles and slick mud. I was starting to get just a bit concerned for a few reasons. We were by ourselves and never saw a single other vehicle or person all day. If we were to get stuck we had no one to pull us out. It was starting to snow harder andcthe fog was moving in quickly making visibility a challenge. I considered turning around and head back down out of the snow and fog but we were only about 2 miles from the end of the trail which would hav put us back on a graded dirt road and then pavement so I decided to press on to the end.

As were driving along my keeps going to the fact that we are alone and unprepared for cold weather if we get stuck or break down as I am really pushing this little truck harder than I have before, then were in serious trouble.

We get to the ten mile mark, it starts snowing so hard it made it difficult to see, and can barely continue as the trail is getting harder and harder, adding to my concern of getting stuck or being unable to continue. Then we come to a point where the trail is just unpassable, with a good portion of it washed away. We both look at each other with an "oh s***, now what" expression.

I got out and walked ahead. Its snowing hard with huge snowflakes and I look over the road and realize we cant continue. The fog is so thick I cant see my truck from where I was standing.

We have no choice but to turn around and go back through the hell we just came up.

Snow and thick fog began to make it difficult to see the trail but it was easier going down than it was coming up. We white knuckled it down to the 6 mile mark and fog was not a factor anymore and the snow was replaced with rain. We parked for a moment and got out to stretch (and kiss the ground) before we continued down.

We discussed the mistakes we made in being prepared, and started to put together a list of survival gear that we will always take with us from now on. If we would have got stuck or broke down we would have had to endure a very cold night in the truck while waiting for help, or hike out in a snowstorm without proper clothing. We had no cell service the whole time.

We definitely learned a few lessons..

Screenshot_20230202_061802_Gallery.jpg

This little truck has been just about bulletproof since I got it one year ago. I babied it for the first few months, but lately we have been really testing her and she passes with flying colors. Hard trails and pushing her limits, she just keeps looking for more.

I decided not to do any bodywork or paint, going to leave the external appearance as-is. The interior looks and feels great, audio systems sounds good and she runs like a champ. Im finishing up the rear tube bumper installation, then going to take the front and rear bumper to get powdercoated to match the roll bar.

On a different note, my wife and I found ourselves in a potentially dangerous situation that will be a wake up call for us. This past Sunday we went up to the local mountains to do a little off roading. We decided to check out a moderate 11 mile trail connecting highway 74 with route 243 in Souther California. This trail was a steady uphill climb the whole way with lots of mud and ruts from 3 weeks of constant rain here.

We got about 7 miles in and started to experience some ice and snow on the trail. It was fairly warm when we left our house and we were not dressed for cold weather. I was in shorts and a sweatshirt, but was not too concerned when it started to lightly snow.

We got to about the 8.5 mile mark and the trail just got real nasty, huge ruts, frozen over puddles and slick mud. I was starting to get just a bit concerned for a few reasons. We were by ourselves and never saw a single other vehicle or person all day. If we were to get stuck we had no one to pull us out. It was starting to snow harder andcthe fog was moving in quickly making visibility a challenge. I considered turning around and head back down out of the snow and fog but we were only about 2 miles from the end of the trail which would hav put us back on a graded dirt road and then pavement so I decided to press on to the end.

As were driving along my keeps going to the fact that we are alone and unprepared for cold weather if we get stuck or break down as I am really pushing this little truck harder than I have before, then were in serious trouble.

We get to the ten mile mark, it starts snowing so hard it made it difficult to see, and can barely continue as the trail is getting harder and harder, adding to my concern of getting stuck or being unable to continue. Then we come to a point where the trail is just unpassable, with a good portion of it washed away. We both look at each other with an "oh s***, now what" expression.

I got out and walked ahead. Its snowing hard with huge snowflakes and I look over the road and realize we cant continue. The fog is so thick I cant see my truck from where I was standing.

We have no choice but to turn around and go back through the hell we just came up.

Snow and thick fog began to make it difficult to see the trail but it was easier going down than it was coming up. We white knuckled it down to the 6 mile mark and fog was not a factor anymore and the snow was replaced with rain. We parked for a moment and got out to stretch (and kiss the ground) before we continued down.

We discussed the mistakes we made in being prepared, and started to put together a list of survival gear that we will always take with us from now on. If we would have got stuck or broke down we would have had to endure a very cold night in the truck while waiting for help, or hike out in a snowstorm without proper clothing. We had no cell service the whole time.

We definitely learned a few lessons..

Damn, not sure why there are huge gaps in the text on my last post but when i try to edit it the app crashes.

Hopefully a mod can clean it up.

Heres the pic i tried to post...

Screenshot_20230202_061802_Gallery.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom