Newbie just picked up 82 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great project. I have an LX470, but my first truck was an 83 2wd and I’ve always fantasized about owning an early 80s 4wd minitruck.

You must be super excited about how the seats, door cards, and console turned out. Your broke truck is going to be a real gem when you’re finished.

Looks good. Did they have to replace any foam in the seats? The console looks better. Nice job.

3d printing the plugs is pretty cool. I welded steel caps on mine back in the day.
Replaced a few foam pieces as needed, most was in good shape.
I agree that the console now looks presentable. You never know what you can (or cant) do until you try, the console was a big fail on my part.
That being said I am still trying stuff Ive never done before. I am making some kick panels and B-pillar trim out of the same ribbed carpet. They original plastic ones had long since disintigrated and cracked apart, leaving sharp shards everywhere.
The plan is to paint the side vents black, adhere some carpet that has the vent area cut out. I then 3d printed some trim to go around the vent holes...
20220612_080811.jpg
20220612_083123.jpg

The hardest part is aligning the ribs on the kickpanel , door card, and B pillar to make it all look straight.
20220612_134733.jpg

The trim for the edje of the door jamb will clean it up and hide the last bit of white that is visible between the door and B-pillar. The vent trim is not installed yet

I wouldn't consider your console a fail at all. It came out great. Nice job on the B-pillar too. Too bad nobody makes reproduction trim. My 86 Xtra cab A and B-pillar trim is dust. Nice job on the trim ring as well.

Not much I can do at the moment as I wait for the sound deadening material to arrive. Also waiting for my appointment to get a new headliner installed.
In the meantime I was able to source a new dust cap for the top of the transmission.
20220615_184201.jpg

The old one was just a scrap of its original size
20220615_184334.jpg

Slid right into place
20220615_184659.jpg

Next up, before headliner goes in, will be welding a few holes in the roof shut, someone drilled a hole in the center for a long gone CB antenna and 3 holes in the rear for a 3rd brake light.
20220615_185629.jpg

A few parts arrived today, sound deadening material and a new heater control valve as mine is frozen in place with the heat on. It was ok in the winter, but unbearable in the summer...
20220616_184622.jpg

3D printed a fresh set of black visor clips
20220618_144804.jpg

We got the holes in the cab welded up and the first round of bondo applied.
20220623_185315.jpg
20220623_185437.jpg

Saturday the headliner is being installed. I took this opertunity cut away the old liner (i left the edjes, wasnt sure if upholstery guy would need it for reference), cleared all the old crap off the roof and applied sound deadening material.
20220623_183622.jpg

I sure makes a difference, when I knock on the roof now it doesnt sound tinny. Has more of a thud sound to it now.

Opened the truck this morning and with the new headliner, one seat and one door card installed it already has that brand new car smell on the inside.
Looking forward to starting the final push to wrap up the interior...

Opened the truck this morning and with the new headliner, one seat and one door card installed it already has that brand new car smell on the inside.
Looking forward to starting the final push to wrap up the interior...
Great project! I really like the commitment you’ve made to bring this truck back.

Had the squeaky, creaky clutch sound. Doing a bit of research I found it to be a common occurrence. I dis-assembled the cluch pedal, cleaned the bushings, rod, bolt and pedal itself in the ultra sonic cleaner...
20220628_185343.jpg

During reassembly I noted the the smaller bushing for the clutch plunger was missing, I think this was the cause of the noise.
A new bushing is on order...

Thanks for the support, I look forward to finishing up the sound deadening and interior painting this week. Then install carpet, door cards, seats, center console, kick panels, new rear view mirror, and rear carpet (not sure what the carpet behind the seats is called) hopefully this coming weekend.
EDIT: tried the quote the last two responses, but somehow messed it up

You're killin it! Great work on the interior. Gotta warn you though: all that new carpet, headliner, sound deadening is going to work great... then you'll hear the dash squeaks and the radiator fan and the... ;)

Had the squeaky, creaky clutch sound. Doing a bit of research I found it to be a common occurrence. I dis-assembled the cluch pedal, cleaned the bushings, rod, bolt and pedal itself in the ultra sonic cleaner...
View attachment 3050475
During reassembly I noted the the smaller bushing for the clutch plunger was missing, I think this was the cause of the noise.
A new bushing is on order...
My ‘83 2wd 4 speed manual had a squeaky clutch and it turned out the be the slave cylinder. Just something to check, in case your bushing doesn’t take care of it.

My ‘83 2wd 4 speed manual had a squeaky clutch and it turned out the be the slave cylinder. Just something to check, in case your bushing doesn’t take care of it.
I'll take a look, thanks.

The lower boot is torn pretty good.
20220705_082523.jpg

I cant find a replacement, but I'm probably not looking in the right place. I found something close, its from late 70's mustang but is one of the only boots that I could find that has a low profile.
Screenshot_20220705-083138_eBay.jpg

20220705_082536.jpg

20220705_082721.jpg

I had to do just a bit of trimming and then cut new holes. It should work ok, I guess I will find out.
20220705_082657.jpg

Got the rest of the little details on the interior completed and installed the missing clutch pedal bushing. Time to start putting this girl back together.
The new carpet looks great.
20220711_154716.jpg

Yeah, the old stuff really looked awful and had a funky smelll.
20220711_155210.jpg

Not easy to wrestle this into the cab by yourself, but its in.
20220711_172701.jpg

Got it into position and got the major holes cut. Still needs a bit of trimming and the minor holes cut for seats, belts etc.
20220711_203801.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom