Newbie just picked up 82 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to this forum as of today, last week I bought a ratty old 82 4x4 long bed. I am going to start fixing it up as soon as I finish a project in another hobby (pinball restoration)
Is this the correct sub forum for questions about this truck?

20220103_192720.jpg

Heck yeah! But we need more info on your truck. BTW they're not "ratty", that's character. Looks pretty solid!

Ha, yeah its character, patina and experience all rolled up.
Truck runs (poorly) and drives. I drove it home 50 miles with no problems, took it in the hills by my house and tested the 4WL and 4WH and all worked as it should.
The seller told me the carb needs adjusted, but look at this pic I took after removing the air filter cover...yes, that is a wooden clothespin!

20220104_121154.jpg

20220104_121201.jpg

Speaking from experience, go and get a large roll of vacuum hose (you can't get the actual metric-sized hose Toyota used, and the size currently eludes me), and go one by one and replace every single piece of vacuum hose. All of it. Since you live in Kalifornia you'll have to keep the stock carb as you probably know. My other 82 with the stock carb (since sold) wouldn't idle and ran bad, after I replaced the hoses it was very much better. Idled smoothly and started easy.

I don't have an answer for the unique bit of engineering aka clothespin!

Heck yeah! But we need more info on your truck. BTW they're not "ratty", that's character. Looks pretty solid!
What he said! Welcome aboard. For a 1982 that thing looks great. In fact, it looks solid. More pictures, please.

Oh, I used to own a 1982 short bed. Really wish I knew then, what I know now.

Anyways, underneath the air cleaner snorkel is a valve. That valve pulls hot air off the exhaust manifold when cold. It should have a foil hose off the manifold (by now, usually MIA). Make sure the valve isn't stuck, or it will pull hot air off the manifold all the time and make the truck run crappy.

Ya, interior is a little rough. Your front crank seal is leaking. Like doh, uh?

Yeah there's some interesting "fixes" there. You can still get the OEM dash pad brand new from Toyota. They're a little pricey but better than any of the covers (which you can't use, as you have NO dash pad). However, if you want to go that way, I'm about to replace the pad on my '82 and I'd be willing to part with the old one. It's blue, but that's not a big deal.

That hose from the top of the air cleaner attaches to the the elbow hose with the twin hose clamps. Can't tell where the other hose at the elbow goes, but not there.
And that coil...

Yeah there's some interesting "fixes" there. You can still get the OEM dash pad brand new from Toyota. They're a little pricey but better than any of the covers (which you can't use, as you have NO dash pad). However, if you want to go that way, I'm about to replace the pad on my '82 and I'd be willing to part with the old one. It's blue, but that's not a big deal.

Actually I just notice you have a blue interior D'oh! So you're all good

Yep, I have some challenges ahead of me. I have about 2 weeks left to finish the latest pinball machine that I am restoring, after that I will turn my attention to this project.
Short term goals are:
Rebuild/replace carb
Re-do vacuum system
Fix exhaust leak (only 2 of the seven exhaust manifold studs have a nut on them)
Install correct coil
Fix non working tachometer

Once that is done and I can (hopefully) get this running smoothly, my plans is:
Address oil leak
New bucket seats (my wife loves to offroad, I need her to be comfy)
Get replacement dash and steering column plastics
New carpet, shifter boots, etc.
Trans seems solid but shifter has quite a bit of play, I plan on having my transmission guy give it a once over.

Long term plan may involve engine swap
I will eventually put it in my spraybooth and repaint it

Truck came with new 31" tires
Brand new windshield
Brand new (uninstalled) cats

That hose from the top of the air cleaner attaches to the the elbow hose with the twin hose clamps. Can't tell where the other hose at the elbow goes, but not there.
And that coil...
That hose extension ends at the front axle, not sure what the theory is there but I will get it corrected
Im glad to hear that there are still new interior parts available...does anybody know if the steering column parts are available?

As far as pricey parts go, you guys would probably be shocked at how expensive pinball parts are...I have spent over 6k on pinball parts to restore one game.

That hose extension ends at the front axle, not sure what the theory is there but I will get it corrected

Im glad to hear that there are still new interior parts available...does anybody know if the steering column parts are available?

As far as pricey parts go, you guys would probably be shocked at how expensive pinball parts are...I have spent over 6k on pinball parts to restore one game.

Not sure about whether the column cover is still available. My go to guy for Toyota parts is Mike Bingham at Cabe Toyota in Long Beach. Very knowledgeable about older Toyotas.

Column covers aren't that hard to find, but old ones are very fragile. All the sunlight beating down on the plastic for 40 years...

Man that's actually a solid truck to start with. AND......you actually drove it home AND.......the 4WD worked!! Come on. You have a great start. X3 on the shifter bushing by the way. Good luck with your projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom