Newbie - HELP! Need the cure for this 80 series addiction....... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello and THANKS :censor: ALOT! My journey has just begun and I can't stop thinking about these rigs. It all started when my wife and I really liked the looks of the new fj cruiser. We looked into them and decided to pass due to family/ financial priorities (1 lil' boy and another one planned in the near future). Not being able to get this new yoter out of my mind I stumbled on this site and discovered the 80 series, the grey clouds parted, HOLLEY LU YAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

I've always loved there looks, but there price was close to what we paid for our house, so I never really considered them. Now that they are 10 year's old the snobby yuppies that could afford them what to get into new hybrids, AWESOME!!!

Any way, I've really enjoyed reading this well put together forum and I'm greatful of it's existance.

It's time to part ways with my 97' F-150 with the "maybe I can" 4x4 system! I would like to share my plan of attack for getting one of these sweet rides into my driveway and see what you all think.

1- Checked into financing a vehicle that is 10 year's old (YIIICKS!) Finally found our employee credit union would finance a 97' and newer for 48 months at 5.5% (SWEET!)

2-We live in the RUST/ SALTED road belt. So possibly try to find a rig to the south.

3-Find an 80 that was used as a yuppie grocery getter that has less than 100k.

4-Only settle for an 80 with lockers.

Well, so far my search has been tough and I've discovered I'm not the only one in search on an 80 with lockers :grinpimp: I found a clean 97 on long island with 60k for $15,000 (not wanting to settle for an 80 without lockers I passed).

This weekend I will be looking at an 80 in Buffalo with 111K for $9,995 with lockers.

So, what do you think of this plan and prices? Any one want to part with or know of an 80 with this discription?

Thanks, Chris

Sounds like a good plan Chris. I put more importance on the lack of rust and making sure it has lockers than on the mileage. Welcome and don't look for a cure to the addiction just accept it.:)

Welcome to the addiction, the only known cure is to buy an 80 and then go to the slee website, and order one of each item tht will fit an 80 :D.

I found that Capital One Auto will finance any vehicle purchase (regardless of miles/year) at reasonable rates, they don't care about the value of the vehicle, they just care about your credit.

I don't live in the rust belt, but the one thing I could not live with, especially with a vehicle I was going to keep for a long time, is buying a vehicle with ANY rust. I would probably do whatever it takes to avoid it.

I am also not shy regarding miles, 100k on the 80 is like 50k on any other vehicle, as long as it was half taken care of. The HG issue seems to happen with no particular indicators/mileage, so it could be a concern for any one you get. Other than that you will want to baseline any vehicle you get no matter the miles anyway. My 93 w/200k ran as well as my 96 LX w/112k.

Consider vehicles out of your area and have a 'mudder check it out for you. I looked at a LX450 for Moses John who is from AZ, took pictures and talked with him about it over the phone, and then he flew up and bought it, he was very satisfied with his purchase. Below are pics of his rust free rig.

Definitely find one with lockers.
under.jpg
DSC_0030 (Medium).JPG
DSC_0041 (Small).JPG

Lavarock64 said:
So, what do you think of this plan and prices? Any one want to part with or know of an 80 with this discription?
Thanks, Chris

I found one up your way in December 2005 (Rochester, NY)
after looking for about 7 months (I had time)
It was pretty cherry inside and out with some mechanical
PM needed (still ongoing)
I paid 10,000 for a 96 with 128,000 miles.

Beware of Twins Auto on LI as they seem to be scam artists!!

Welcome!
My insurance company financed my rig (USAA), gave me a good rate 5.25% for 5 years. I have since paid it off.

I would keep "rust free" as a high priority, even over lockers, if you find the right one. I picked up an unlocked, cherry 94 with no rust at all, 113k on the clock 2-1/2 years ago. I have since added an Aussie locker to the rear and have an ARB locker for the front waiting to be installed.
Now if you find that cherry one with lockers, jump on it.

:cheers:

Pretty much what everybody else has said and :flipoff2: .

I definitely put more emphasis on condition and maintenance history that miles.

I've seen them dogged at 100k and pristine or nearly so at 150k+ (mine for instance :grinpimp: ).

Definitely expand your search to nationwide to increase your chances of finding one that is "just right". Many of us on Mud have looked over vehicles for folks we've never met who live half way across the country.

Oh, and welcome to the madness! :)

Lavarock64,
Good plan and good luck.
Be patient, the right truck will find you soon enough.
Be sure to check Slee's Newby Guide, etc.
Agreed on the rust free. Capital one will fin. over 100K miles also.
Be thorough in you screening process.
A leak down or compression test is worth a lot as far as piece of mind when buying a high mileage user car.

Got my unlocked 95 with 125K for about $10k. Very happy with it. Now I'm looking for a locked one. We'll have his and hers rigs. To heck with gas mileage. I have checked in to shipping, and these ship across country as a vehicle and a half, so for about $900 you can ship anywhere. Also, CarMax will help you ship your vehicle, and I think they do it for less. I happen to have a friend that can help me out with shipping to Utah, so it's even less. Consider it as a viable option. A good vehicle checked out by a mudder and shipped to you isn't a bad thing.

I would plan to do the PM on it when you get it, regardless of how it looks. I am learning that I should have done:
-The PHH
-The axles, anywhere from the knuckles, to the birfs, to the whole axle depending on how anal you are.
-All fluids, including cooling system
-All filters
-PCV valve
-PO401 maintenance
-Brakes
-Tires
-Lift
-Sliders
-ARB bumpers
-Rear tire carrier
-Off Road lights
-Skid plates

These are all preventive maintenance if you look at it right. Just finance for $5000 over the sellers price and you can put the fever to bed a little sooner! :)

What everyone else said. And to buy absolutely the best truck upfront that you can. You pay only a % of the cost the original owner paid for mods, so you can buy them at a discount as long as they were done properly. These trucks are not cheap to mod and maintain, if they require fairly major work. Unless of course you can do it yourself, in which case that's less of a factor. I'd get the truck inspected by an expert, preferably with these trucks, to avoid any unexpected surpri$es.

Paid $1300 for fully insured shipping from the Hamptons in NY to Omaha, NE. Shippers did $1700 in damage by putting the truck on top of a transport backwards and running it through a tree. I'm still fighting with them to pay for the damages I've had repaired.

So, shipping has cost me $3000 at this point total.

Buy a truck, FLY THERE and drive it back. Much easier/cheaper/etc...

Was it worth it? I got a red locked 112,000 mile '96 that has never had a roof rack and seen only soccer mom duty for $9200 + shipping. I'd have gladly paid $14000 for this truck locally if it had been available, so it was worth it.

Now to get them to pay me for the damages... The truck was delivered on Mother's Day. Slooooowww process. Lowball bids. I'd say their name, but they'd sue me or make it even harder to get paid back.

Don't ship. Go get it or pay your unemployed slacker nephew or cousin to fly out and drive it back. Insure it from the moment you own it. Get a $100 deductible for the 1st month then bump it to $500 or whatever you normally run. Shippers insurance is EXPENSIVE and very difficult to get paid the amount of damages.

I had a blast flying out to NC from Texas and driving mine back. I would do it that way again, even if it cost twice as much. Having frequent flyer miles made it a total no-brainer.

A rig with the headgasket replaced by a reputable shop/dealer is worth more than lockers or 20K miles. You can always do lockers (ARB) when you do gears.

Nay

Get lucky and find a completely built rig for less than 10K?

shortest path! :)

Welcome:flipoff2:

Dont fight the addiction:cheers:

Good plan, the right truck will come in time:) be patient...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom