Newbie - Help - Leaking Around Rear Driver side. AHC stuck at LOW. Ride very bumpy (feels like no suspension at all) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Just bought a 1999 Lexus LX470 today (180k miles). Drove quite smoothly for 20 highway miles after filling the tank to full (87 from sams club). After parking at home, I noticed white smoke coming from rear driver side wheel. Liquid was also leaking on this side. The whole torsion bar on this side was more or less wet. Was very scared as if it might catch fire in my apartment parking lot. Drove it to mechanic (4 miles) for a quick diagnosis. Once started the white smoke went away. After stopping at mechanics shop there was no white smoke at all. However the ride to mechanic was the roughest ride possible (Felt every bump with AHC stuck at LOW position). Mechanic said I might have over filled the gas tank an sent me back home with the truck. Once parked at home , the white smoke is not there but liquid is still dripping mainly from the rear driver side torsion bar joint. The liquid smells like gasoline but is much thinner. I can confirm tomorrow if it is indeed the AHC fluid. AHC reservoir was filled 1 day before ( without draining).

The car had been sitting in garage for some months before I drove it today. AHC was working as well. Any recommendations for the next step?? Much Appreciated.

Hi All,

Just bought a 1999 Lexus LX470 today (180k miles). Drove quite smoothly for 20 highway miles after filling the tank to full (87 from sams club). After parking at home, I noticed white smoke coming from rear driver side wheel. Liquid was also leaking on this side. The whole torsion bar on this side was more or less wet. Was very scared as if it might catch fire in my apartment parking lot. Drove it to mechanic (4 miles) for a quick diagnosis. Once started the white smoke went away. After stopping at mechanics shop there was no white smoke at all. However the ride to mechanic was the roughest ride possible (Felt every bump with AHC stuck at LOW position). Mechanic said I might have over filled the gas tank an sent me back home with the truck. Once parked at home , the white smoke is not there but liquid is still dripping mainly from the rear driver side torsion bar joint. The liquid smells like gasoline but is much thinner. I can confirm tomorrow if it is indeed the AHC fluid. AHC reservoir was filled 1 day before ( without draining).

The car had been sitting in garage for some months before I drove it today. AHC was working as well. Any recommendations for the next step?? Much Appreciated.
If you use the search function and search "PADDO" by member, you will find everything you need to know about your AHC system. Very detail oriented, I just overhauled my 99 470 AHC suspension and found his posts very helpful.

If you use the search function and search "PADDO" by member, you will find everything you need to know about your AHC system. Very detail oriented, I just overhauled my 99 470 AHC suspension and found his posts very helpful.
Can you tell me which parts did you use and how much did it cost? Thanks!

Started with a fluid flush of the AHC system, approximately $60 in Toyota AHC fluid. Was hoping it would improve the ride, it didn't, my globes were shot. PADDO has a good write up on this process and the associated "Grad Test". Then I replaced all 4 accumulator globes, they are pricey, I used OEM Toyota parts shipped from Japan, approximately $1,100. Added rear coil spring spacers, $70. Re-indexed the T-Bars, no cost, 1.5 hours of manual labor. Adjusted neutral pressures using TechStream, no cost (borrowed a buddies computer). Rides much better now. Next weekend I plan to start refreshing the front end bushings and ball joints. I've really enjoyed the process of baseline maintenance, this site is a wealth of information. I hope you enjoy it as well. Good luck!

Hi All,

when you filled gas did you top it off and how hot is it in Memphis?

Yeah the 100 series does not like to be top off, it will often lead to a bit of gas exiting the overflow tube and your truck will smell like gas for awhile. I learned the hard way and now never put a drop more than full, and maybe a bit under full if it is hot or I'm heading up the mountains

Yeah the 100 series does not like to be top off, it will often lead to a bit of gas exiting the overflow tube and your truck will smell like gas for awhile. I learned the hard way and now never put a drop more than full, and maybe a bit under full if it is hot or I'm heading up the mountains

Thanks for the response. But does it explain the white smoke? Also its still dripping (24 hours now, one drop every 10 second maybe, torsion bar joint and the area surrounding is pretty wet). Is there a way to know which kind of fluid it is. I am just afraid it might catch fire. Thanks.

does it smell like gas when you dab your finger in it? Is it puddling? get under truck and see where it's coming from, there are four globes and metal lines and of course the top of the 4 shocks. Lines can rust, globes can leak as well as the shocks. White smoke is most likely oil or ahc fluid burning off the hot exhaust

If it drips, catch some in a small container and post pics. By torsion bar do you mean panhard bar?

Sounds like maybe a AHC line or the rear shock is leaking AHC fluid onto your brake rotor. Must find where leak is coming from then it may only need a shock replaced or line replaced. Could be an pretty cheap fix but gotta find the leak first.

Agreed, trace the leak upwards and track down the offending part.

You're "rough riding" because the system is completely bottomed out. There's no down movement any more.

I copied this from one of the experts website... Slee Offroad.

In LOW mode the hydraulic shocks do not have any dampening and driving the vehicle in this mode can cause dangerous conditions and damage to the system.

As mentioned, check for any damaged lines. The white smoke is fluid hitting either the exhaust or hot brakes.

The upper control arm is what you are probably referring to. This one has lines attached to it. If that's not straight, you have a problem.

Driven over 100k on my 2004 LX470 never had any issues filling/overfilling

You're "rough riding" because the system is completely bottomed out. There's no down movement any more.

I copied this from one of the experts website... Slee Offroad.

In LOW mode the hydraulic shocks do not have any dampening and driving the vehicle in this mode can cause dangerous conditions and damage to the system.

As mentioned, check for any damaged lines. The white smoke is fluid hitting either the exhaust or hot brakes.

The upper control arm is what you are probably referring to. This one has lines attached to it. If that's not straight, you have a problem.

Slight thread hijack, apologies:
I've had my rig shift to LOW maybe 4-5 times in 4 yrs whilst pulling out of driveway, towing a trailer. I was able, with one exception, to reset it back into NEUTRAL by simply driving a short distance, restarting the car.
(background: 6' box trailer, total loaded weight under 5k lbs, so in these instances I *likely* overloaded the vehicle itself (third row is gone, but baseline weight is up there with aftermarket front & back bumpers, sliders, cargo rack), more likely I've mis-loaded the trailer too forward towards the tongue. AHC has been working great, bled hydralic fluid 2 yrs ago, AHC settings then were OK...etc..)
Spent an hour this morning re-reading AHC postings here. Thought I saw from (possibly an Aussie poster?) that the AHC will switch to LOW in situations like these, not what you want, but not a potential for damage...?
Not looking to do airbags, as I never tow above 5K pounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom