New Years snow run? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone planning on going on another snow run anytime soon? I’d try and organize one but I don’t really have the necessary trail knowledge to do so
I'm game. MLK day?

MLK day is the 18th (monday)? I'd need to get off work, but I could probably do that. Any chance a Fri/Sat/Sun day would work?
I’m easy, yes weekend is good, Friday not so much. I mention MLK day because I have it off and try to schedule doing something so I don’t end up working.
Are you thinking this weekend?
Today I headed up to SFNF east of hwy 112, sort of the area we went last year about this time. Nice day, saw no humans
It’s a bit far away but that makes it less likely to be overrun
There’s also Magdalena which bested us once and should have gotten pounded with this storm, and @krazykat69 ’s area by la ventana

29D6A8D6-1B38-41CC-9592-C6A03C514389.jpeg

B554389F-2690-424A-90B0-9CA9AC124DC6.jpeg

@Dumpolina

I was thinking this weekend, but I'm free next weekend too. I defer to you on location - I've wanted to get down to Magdalena for awhile, but if you guys didn't make it last time I can't imagine more snow will help. I'd be down for Santa Fe NF as well.

That is not the correct way of thinking. You NEED to return to claim victory :flipoff2:

Magdalena issues were ice and prudence.
Some fresh snow could resolve the former. If I haul the crawler down there prudence will stay home.
I don’t know how much of a snow run it’d be, if it gets a week of sunshine much of it may be burned off. Which may mean more ice
The SFNF area is just north of gallina, NM, or 10 or so miles south of el Vado
It’s a pretty long haul up there which makes the wheeling shorter in order to be out before dark. I THINK we made it sort of before dark last year. That was almost a 💩💩 show but no one died... except my battery. Pretty sure I could get us into snow in that area but it might be more than we want.
So... I’m game fir whatever and I’m open to other suggestions.
I do think it’s gotta be a smallish number of vehicles due to COVID of course but also to avoid lollygagging
@LX450JC @lurch @Mauser you guys have suggestions?
@krazykat69 id like to see your area off 550/ la ventana or maybe even a mild trip to Gordy’s if the snow at Magdalena is a bust? I don’t know gordy’s well enough to lead anything
What’s your thoughts?

Gallina is about 3.5+ hrs road time round trip
Magdalena is a little closer
La ventana is maybe 2.5 hrs round trip I’d guess, being south of Cuba

La Venana is gated staring Nov 16(?) to spring(?) for wild life protection if I remember correctly. I’ll see if I can find the info...

I was hoping for another storm to hit Santa Fe area to make Caja De Rio an option but no such luck. @Dizzy and I ran some trails there a couple of years ago in about 12” and it was great!

Magdalena issues were ice and prudence.
Some fresh snow could resolve the former. If I haul the crawler down there prudence will stay home.
I don’t know how much of a snow run it’d be, if it gets a week of sunshine much of it may be burned off. Which may mean more ice
The SFNF area is just north of gallina, NM, or 10 or so miles south of el Vado
It’s a pretty long haul up there which makes the wheeling shorter in order to be out before dark. I THINK we made it sort of before dark last year. That was almost a 💩💩 show but no one died... except my battery. Pretty sure I could get us into snow in that area but it might be more than we want.
So... I’m game fir whatever and I’m open to other suggestions.
I do think it’s gotta be a smallish number of vehicles due to COVID of course but also to avoid lollygagging
@LX450JC @lurch @Mauser you guys have suggestions?
@krazykat69 id like to see your area off 550/ la ventana or maybe even a mild trip to Gordy’s if the snow at Magdalena is a bust? I don’t know gordy’s well enough to lead anything
What’s your thoughts?
Never been to Magdalena so I wouldn't mind that.

Ok looking like Magdalena if that’s good with you guys. Maybe we’ll find the snatch block I somehow walked away from

Let’s do it... Saturday?
Sounds good to me.
I don't think it'll be super snowy, the challenge may be how much traffic has been on it making it icy. I could be totally wrong too
I need to be back before 6. Shall I make a separate thread?

Let me see if I can get my act together by then. There's a dirt parking lot on Gibson, just east of I-25, next to a Subway, I think it is. That'd be a good place to meetup. Or meet at the Daily grind for a burrito and coffee. We haven't given that business any money for a while, figured it'd be good to do.

8:30am?

Let me see if I can get my act together by then. There's a dirt parking lot on Gibson, just east of I-25, next to a Subway, I think it is. That'd be a good place to meetup. Or meet at the Daily grind for a burrito and coffee. We haven't given that business any money for a while, figured it'd be good to do.

8:30am?
I'll leave it to you guys if you wanna daisy chain down
I'll meet you guys here N 34.05495 W 107.10741 at 10:00 AM Saturday morning... Off Water Canyon Road just inside the forest boundary. Its a good area to air down without blocking the road.
No more than 5 or 6 vehicles. Expect that brush may be heavy. If you like your paint, skip this one
Looks like I'll be in the newer 4Runner not the crawler but that could change between now and then
So Far:
@Dumpolina
@thegadgetguy
@LX450JC
maybe @lurch ?
So you're aware, the Blakes in Socorro doesn't do b'fast

Blake’s in socorro did breakfast last year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom