New Years snow run? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20210116_121817.jpg
20210116_121604.jpg

And again 😁

20210116_125042.jpg

20210116_122803.jpg

20210116_120659.jpg

20210116_120646.jpg

20210116_120020.jpg

Last edited:
So like my dad says, "other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"
Great day on virgin snow until the road gave way a little on me. Then I jacked up the low side and it gave way a little more.
Much head scratching and effort and we collectively got it back on sorta solid ground.
Before the sun completely set
@mbarela and @LX450JC dug frozen rocky ground to clear the lopsided hill, @alia176 found the perfect anchor and set the rigging, @thegadgetguy successfully winched me diagonally. Thanks you guys, you rule!
@jstncse that retaining wall you guys built is about on its last legs, but it still kept me from sliding completely off the road.

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

Great day on virgin snow until the road gave way a little on me. Then I jacked up the low side and it gave way a little more.
Much head scratching and effort and we collectively got it back on sorta solid ground.
@mbarela and @LX450JC dug frozen rocky ground to clear the lopsided hill, @alia176 found the perfect anchor and set the rigging, @thegadgetguy successfully winched me diagonally. Thanks you guys, you rule!
@jstncse that retaining wall you guys built is about on its last legs, but it still kept me from sliding completely off the road.

View attachment 2555636

View attachment 2555639
Fun day... thanks for organizing this Grant!

View attachment 2555639
Let me go change my pants real quick....

The only time I've driven that spot in the summer was in that rig...looking at the map I'm surprised there was that much snow since it faces south.

Was that a no seat belt one hand on the door release while you drive up?;)

And again 😁

20210116_122800.jpg

20210116_120810.jpg

20210116_120659.jpg

From this point on, I shall proclaim that spot as "Terril's spot 😁

Last edited:
Yeah, you wouldn’t want to go over the edge there. It’s a long way down, with nothing much to slow you down along the way. Must have been some creative rigging, because there’s nothing much to hook onto on the side of that hill. Glad to hear that you all had a happy ending!

View attachment 2555636

View attachment 2555639
What is the Forest road number for this road? My heart rate goes up just looking at that situation.:oops:

View attachment 2555636

View attachment 2555639
Would like to see what help traction boards would be in this situation.

The pictures don't do the angle Justice at all. We used traction boards and they helped but Grant was too far off the edge he had to be winched over into the road.
Understand the need for winch support. LX450JC, does this bring back memories of the Henry mountains last year? :steer::banana: Like driving on banana peels....

After the rear end slid down more while jacking up DS rear:

1610909943808.png

Ali digging out front wheel to lower the front corner and for better traction. We removed as much snow as possible from around the 4-runner and tried to make ruts that the wheels would naturally follow back up onto the road:

1610910155663.png

Everything rigged up and ready to winch. Grant was in the 4-runner driving, and giving winch commands on the radio. Ali watched the rock on the switchback above that he and Grant had anchored the snatch block to, to make sure we didn't pull it down the mountain. He signaled down to Matt and Juan, who monitored the snatch block, signals from Ali, and the 4-runner, ready to tell Grant and I to stop if necessary. I operated the winch per Grant's instructions on the radio:

1610910291122.png

We put a lot of tension on the 4-runner rear bumper, and it wasn't moving at all. Grant then very carefully attempted to drive the 4-runner forward back up onto the road, while we kept tension on the winch line. With some spinning of the rear tires, Grant was able to drive forward while the winch pulled his rear end up into the hill. After getting straightened out, he was able to back up onto solid ground with the winch line keeping him from sliding off the road again:

1610910734618.png

After this, we packed up all our gear and then backed down to the switchback turn behind us, where everybody did a tight 180 degree turn. We made our way down posthaste, as it was getting dark and icy.

It was an interesting day. Thankfully we had 5 well equipped rigs with experienced drivers. I was probably the least experienced guy out there, a position I was very happy to be in on this particular day. Thanks Grant for leading the drive and the recovery! I had a great time overall and learned a lot.

What is the Forest road number for this road? My heart rate goes up just looking at that situation.:oops:
I think it’s still 39... just below n baldy

Let me go change my pants real quick....

The only time I've driven that spot in the summer was in that rig...looking at the map I'm surprised there was that much snow since it faces south.

Was that a no seat belt one hand on the door release while you drive up?;)
Oddly once @alia176 had it rigged to @thegadgetguy ’s heavier vehicle I was a little less concerned. It was still super spooky, the low side surface was crumbling. I don’t think if I coulda even gotten out the door I coulda gotten clear of the rig. It was most definitely one of those “this better work” moments. As David describes, though, once I got the rear wheels spinning it inches uphill under his winch tension, I could feel it leveling out in the back and I was saying many thanksgivings

This woulda been one helluva introduction to wheeling for me had I been in the rig with Mr. Dumpolina

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom