New Years snow run? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got the family out of the house today for a quick and easy tree run in the Jemez. We went up 144 a few miles, cut one where we got ours last year, then continued up to 378. I wanted to take that down to 126 by Fenton lake, but decided it was a little risky alone. We turned around on 144 and back to the highway. We came back on 376 and there was snow on the road all the way to the tunnels.

I'd like to go play in the snow a bit more, but not by myself and with my very limited equipment. Anyone interested in a New Years snow run like the good ol' days?

We might be. @jgonzales55 said something about a New Years run when we went out to get our Christmas tree.

Thank you for putting this out there @2manycruisers
Maybe... I hate Jemez, well I hate the people that throng to jemez. But that said the last 2 were not too bad
I may head up this sat or sun 12/26 or 27 to Gallina off Hwy 112 or the area @krazykat69 did his overnighter by La Ventana
Or may go to Gordy's with the crawler if I can get by idiot friends off their post Xmas couches

Last edited:
Any further thoughts on this?
I sorta gave the week off and hate to chew it up doing chores around the house

We might be. @jgonzales55 said something about a New Years run when we went out to get our Christmas tree.
I was 100% up for it but I’ve been doing the 4:88/Eaton project lately and it doesn’t look like I’ll have it together in time to make it out. I’m gonna have to take a break from the project, though, and get out on my other toy which is an 850 two stroke mountain sled so it’s still gonna be a rad day! I wish you all the happiest of a start to 2021! Do a donut or two for us if you guys find the proper snow when you get out!

I was 100% up for it but I’ve been doing the 4:88/Eaton project lately and it doesn’t look like I’ll have it together in time to make it out. I’m gonna have to take a break from the project, though, and get out on my other toy which is an 850 two stroke mountain sled so it’s still gonna be a rad day! I wish you all the happiest of a start to 2021! Do a donut or two for us if you guys find the proper snow when you get out!

Wish we got enough snow around here to run a snow machine more than once or twice a year. Way back I had an old John Deere liquifire (1984) and a couple of Sno Jets (1977) I played around on. One of the old Sno Jets still runs good, but would never keep up with the new sleds.

Oh I'm definitely in if chunky offroad tires plus chains aren't required. I just (randomly) tried Route 165 from I-25 to where it dumps into 536 and then down the backside of the mountain towards I-40. ATRAC is amazing on the Hundys, even with the stock LTXs. AHC and the self-adjusting dampers make the ride so smooth. No snow or ice confused my rig and got me stuck. Even a Silverado (who was following me) with big, chunky offroad tires had trouble, and I just scampered upwards like a mountain goat !

Any plans developing for this little trip???

Oh I'm definitely in if chunky offroad tires plus chains aren't required. I just (randomly) tried Route 165 from I-25 to where it dumps into 536 and then down the backside of the mountain towards I-40. ATRAC is amazing on the Hundys, even with the stock LTXs. AHC and the self-adjusting dampers make the ride so smooth. No snow or ice confused my rig and got me stuck. Even a Silverado (who was following me) with big, chunky offroad tires had trouble, and I just scampered upwards like a mountain goat !
Uh oh now you've got the itch. You think it gets you into some hard to reach spots now, just wait until you do a little bit of modification.

Any plans developing for this little trip???

I can't make it. Heading out in a little bit to do some welding on a front end loader. One of those "I can't get anyone else to even think about the job so name your price" days.

It was just some survivability testing of the installed parts. Passed with flying colors except some grabby FL brakes. Bought some new brake pad shims and caliper pins to attempt so smooth out brake pad release from the rotor when brake pedal is released.

Sorry for the late reply. Juane offered to lead a small group up in his neck of the woods on the Carson NF. At his request, I didn't open the invite up to everyone. We'll see how it goes and maybe do another one up there later this winter. Sorry to leave you guys hanging and I hope you can make some other plans. Happy New Year!

Sorry for the late reply. Juane offered to lead a small group up in his neck of the woods on the Carson NF. At his request, I didn't open the invite up to everyone. We'll see how it goes and maybe do another one up there later this winter. Sorry to leave you guys hanging and I hope you can make some other plans. Happy New Year!
I though Fish was living in Colorado. Did he move back to NM or just close enough in CO for you to meet in the middle?

I'm probably not even an HDC member in good standing anymore, but nevertheless, David and I organized a trial run on some trails around here that, by necessity, demanded a limited number of rigs. I'd say we had a successful run, only two tire casualties and some challenging snow. After gaining confidence in potential routes here we'll expand the invite next time.

group.jpeg

stuck.jpg

rr.jpg

rock.jpg

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

I'm probably not even an HDC member in good standing anymore, but nevertheless, David and I organized a trial run on some trails around here that, by necessity, demanded a limited number of rigs. I'd say we had a successful run, only two tire casualties and some challenging snow. After gaining confidence in potential routes here we'll expand the invite next time.

View attachment 2541816
Look at all those Hundys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom