New Years snow run? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
Magdalena issues were ice and prudence.
Some fresh snow could resolve the former. If I haul the crawler down there prudence will stay home.
I don’t know how much of a snow run it’d be, if it gets a week of sunshine much of it may be burned off. Which may mean more ice
The SFNF area is just north of gallina, NM, or 10 or so miles south of el Vado
It’s a pretty long haul up there which makes the wheeling shorter in order to be out before dark. I THINK we made it sort of before dark last year. That was almost a 💩💩 show but no one died... except my battery. Pretty sure I could get us into snow in that area but it might be more than we want.
So... I’m game fir whatever and I’m open to other suggestions.
I do think it’s gotta be a smallish number of vehicles due to COVID of course but also to avoid lollygagging
@LX450JC @lurch @Mauser you guys have suggestions?
@krazykat69 id like to see your area off 550/ la ventana or maybe even a mild trip to Gordy’s if the snow at Magdalena is a bust? I don’t know gordy’s well enough to lead anything
What’s your thoughts?

Might I suggest we start a new thread starting with this post so that people know about a new trip is in the works for this weekend? @pappy

Might I suggest we start a new thread starting with this post so that people know about a new trip is in the works for this weekend? @pappy
@pappy asked me this earlier, seemed a little "horse already outta the barn" at that time
If its better to split off so-as not to pollute the original thread, thats fine w me 👍
I don't see a need to raise awareness of it for participation.
From my count, we're pretty near the safe number of rigs/people:
@alia176
@Dumpolina
@thegadgetguy
@LX450JC
@mbarela + MattP... that Lexus is gonna be sweet with pinstriping!! :rofl:

@Mauser and maybe @lurch are you guys in?

@pappy asked me this earlier, seemed a little "horse already outta the barn" at that time
If its better to split off so-as not to pollute the original thread, thats fine w me 👍
I don't see a need to raise awareness of it for participation.
From my count, we're pretty near the safe number of rigs/people:
@alia176
@Dumpolina
@thegadgetguy
@LX450JC
@mbarela + MattP... that Lexus is gonna be sweet with pinstriping!! :rofl:

@Mauser and maybe @lurch are you guys in?
Virgil is in

I'd like to ride along, if possible. As a passenger, I'll get you up to speed on high power lasers by day's end. Basic physics all the way to cool applications.

I'd like to ride along, if possible. As a passenger, I'll get you up to speed on high power lasers by day's end. Basic physics all the way to cool applications.
Hmmm I cannot haul you down. Maybe head down and we can see what seats are open. If you don’t mind dog fur you are welcome to ride the trail with me n Scout the wonder dog. Who else may have an open seat?

I'm A-OK driving to the location, if y'all think a stock 01 LX on OEM tires with AHC can make it there.

Watching vids of wheeling to "learn" is one thing. It's a completely different animal to actually be in the rig I'm sure, and I need some "in the rig" time.

Let’s be sure there are some spare seats.
The rendezvous point is just off pavement, no big thing.

One day we should take you newer folks to the Rio puerco and let you drive some real junk... you might never be the same.

Remember, dents are like hickeys: once you’re got them, everybody knows what kinda fun you’re having

I'm A-OK driving to the location, if y'all think a stock 01 LX on OEM tires with AHC can make it there.

Watching vids of wheeling to "learn" is one thing. It's a completely different animal to actually be in the rig I'm sure, and I need some "in the rig" time.
The only way you will get comfortable off-pavement is to get off pavement. What are you doing in August? Annual Ouray trip Aug 4th-7th, 2021 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/annual-ouray-trip-aug-4th-7th-2021.1238322/

Bookmarked, thx @pappy . Priority #1 is landing a job, locally hopefully.

Bookmarked, thx @pappy . Priority #1 is landing a job, locally hopefully.

Don't just book mark it, grab a spot. As you can see we're grabbed up spots already!!! Southern CO has an abbreviated camping season so competition for space is fierce. There is another camp ground nearby called the Amphitheater campground by the forest service so that might be an option too. In any case, jump on it and you can always cancel it later.

Don't just book mark it, grab a spot. As you can see we're grabbed up spots already!!! Southern CO has an abbreviated camping season so competition for space is fierce. There is another camp ground nearby called the Amphitheater campground by the forest service so that might be an option too. In any case, jump on it and you can always cancel it later.
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

I will call today

We are currently in the process of recovering Grant from the edge of a cliff!!

Details at 11 😁

20210116_125958.jpg

I have been on that road, and it made me nervous even without the snow. I will be watching for more details at 11:00!

Okay Grant, we need the whole story about how you were feeding Scout snacks instead of driving! Glad you got out safe.

Random pics

20210116_150953~2.jpg

20210116_164258~2.jpg

20210116_143009.jpg

20210116_150953.jpg

Last edited:
More random pics from my phone

20210116_140025.jpg

20210116_135421.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom