New Workbench for Wilton (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I finally found the Wilton of my dreams. A well used 1780 that has plenty more abuse left in her. After acquiring it, I determined that my old bench would need an upgrade. Tore down the old wood/MDF/stainless monster and started anew.
IMG_4609.JPG
IMG_4612.JPG
IMG_4570.JPG

Decided to go with 1/4" plate steel. 4'X8' sheet that I had sheared to 3X8. Used the 1' drop to make the backsplash / mounting bracket. Used 2.5" square tube to frame it and leg the front. Wanted to keep the front clean so I could still roll out my big cabinets.
IMG_4577.JPG
IMG_4578.JPG
IMG_4584.JPG

So this is done. All ground smooth, painted and oiled. Ready for the abuse!
IMG_4585.JPG
IMG_4589.JPG
IMG_4590.JPG

beautiful vise and beautiful cabinets.
Are you planning to reinforce those legs for that abuse?

Suspect I may need to at some point. I like access to the back of cabinets for storage but may post up the middle later. I (200#) have stood at the front center of bench with no flex or deflection. The back is trussed to support it further toward center of table.

Pardon me, but, where's the cool clamper tool? See a really bitchin table and all....

That's more like it!

Hi FARMAN33
From the picture the vise seems to be mounted too far onto the bench surface. The inside jaw surface should be parallel to or slightly proud of the bench front, so when you clamp long pieces vertically the piece doesn't interfere with the cabinets and or the front lip of the bench.
If you have it set back you are severely limiting the usefulness of the vise.
It is a very common mistake in my experience, it happens that lots of vises are installed incorrectly.Usually too high and inconvenient positioning.
Nice vise though. Especially like the copper soft jaws.

Thanks jb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom